Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 02:40 PM

149 posts, read 185,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
I've heard that expression as well. My grandfather ( grandparents are usually called "memaw" and " popaw" or "ma'maw" and pa or "pop" also granny...
Anyways my " popaw" used to say: "Whhhhhyyyy heeelll faaar" and my grandmother (granny) calls all the girls "sis" I dont care who you are and all the boys "son"
Eric, It's funny but we always knew my Wife's Grandfolks as; Granny, and PaPa (probably was supposed to be popaw)!!
Funny, I just thought that was a Family nickname if you will! I never realized it was such a regional thing! HMMM ya' learn something new everyday!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 03:05 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
News to me too, MoMan. Lived in Kentucky all my life (so far!). But I did know a man who had a TV repair shop who called everybody, male and female, Honey. lol

Old 07-15-2014, 08:51 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
To Sundance, WOW, could you be more of a jerk with your posts? Seriously, they were absolutely pointless in this thread.
Everyone who lives in this vicinity knows how Mayfield has degenerated. It's no secret.

It is known.

There are probably still "good" areas left, if you have enough $$$ to live there, but as a whole, Mayfield has gone down the tubes. Bringing the chicken factory into Mayfield didn't help the situation.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:56 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Everyone who lives in this vicinity knows how Mayfield has degenerated. It's no secret.

It is known.

There are probably still "good" areas left, if you have enough $$$ to live there, but as a whole, Mayfield has gone down the tubes. Bringing the chicken factory into Mayfield didn't help the situation.
I guess that's "everyone" except the others who replied on this thread and live in the area.

Seriously -- you read that someone just bought a house and is clearly very excited about moving there soon ... and your response is "Is this a joke?" and "There's no other explanation." Why would you be so nasty to someone who was so excited? Do you enjoy being cruel? It's bizarre to me that anyone could answer the OP in the way you did. It was just plain mean and, as I wrote, absolutely pointless in this thread.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:03 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMan73 View Post
Eric, It's funny but we always knew my Wife's Grandfolks as; Granny, and PaPa (probably was supposed to be popaw)!!
Funny, I just thought that was a Family nickname if you will! I never realized it was such a regional thing! HMMM ya' learn something new everyday!!
Well I dunno about down in the purchase but up in NW Kentucky around Owensboro most folks say: Grandaddy, paw-paw, pa'a-paw, pop, ma'm-maw, meemaw ( my nephews call my mom mee-maw ) or granny. I hear it everywhere up there. In my family everyone uses "paw-paw" and "granny"

My grandparents also used funny words like calling "Sparrows" - "Spatsies" or "Spatsy's" and Canteloupe" was always called "Muskmellon or "Mushmellon" ( sounded that way to me at least ). They are old-timer Kentuckians so they use alot of words that I guess are way out of vogue today.

Also the old famous "Tobacco-stick" or "Baccer-stick" gosh...is their anything in Kentucky that those things AREN'T used for besides spearing Tobacco?

Old 07-15-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I guess that's "everyone" except the others who replied on this thread and live in the area.

Seriously -- you read that someone just bought a house and is clearly very excited about moving there soon ... and your response is "Is this a joke?" and "There's no other explanation." Why would you be so nasty to someone who was so excited? Do you enjoy being cruel? It's bizarre to me that anyone could answer the OP in the way you did. It was just plain mean and, as I wrote, absolutely pointless in this thread.
If it's pointless, why are you determined to make it the center of conversation here? I was done until I was called out.

You must want to talk about it some more. Why do you want to talk about it some more? Move on....continue discussing the glorious town of Mayfield, KY.......LOL.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:41 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
If it's pointless, why are you determined to make it the center of conversation here? I was done until I was called out.

You must want to talk about it some more. Why do you want to talk about it some more? Move on....continue discussing the glorious town of Mayfield, KY.......LOL.
Um, you replied to my post, I replied to you. (And I just don't understand the maliciousness that you demonstrated ... I guess I was hoping for a "Yeah, sorry to the OP, I was in a bad mood and decided to be cruel online, sorry again." Nope.)

To the OP, I hope your moving plans are going well! I moved to my current house 2 years ago and I STILL have boxes I have never gone through. If I ever move again, I swear I will downsize first!!

I haven't been to Kentucky in quite awhile -- the little town where my dad grew up (and is buried, he died when I was a kid) has a festival every summer and I keep thinking one year I will make it.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:44 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
Quote:
Um, you replied to my post, I replied to you. (And I just don't understand the maliciousness that you demonstrated ... I guess I was hoping for a "Yeah, sorry to the OP, I was in a bad mood and decided to be cruel online, sorry again." Nope.)

To the OP, I hope your moving plans are going well! I moved to my current house 2 years ago and I STILL have boxes I have never gone through. If I ever move again, I swear I will downsize first!!

I haven't been to Kentucky in quite awhile -- the little town where my dad grew up (and is buried, he died when I was a kid) has a festival every summer and I keep thinking one year I will make it.
What town is that? Down in Graves county? I'm sorry to hear about your father...I'm sure that was tough...

Old 07-15-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Well, ummmmm......you posted directly to me, post #17 and again at post #24.

Why don't you ignore me and discuss the town of Mayfield? I'm not on trial here. And I'm not defensive so you are wasting your time with continually calling me out. Move along.....

Old 07-15-2014, 04:14 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
We may have to ed-uh-mu-cate you and coach you on being Kentuckian.
Lesson 1: "You must become an obsessed UK Basketball fan!! GO CATS!!
Lesson 2: "You must learn phrases like "well, bless your heart!" Or "Just bless his/her little heart" say " you-all" or "ya'll"

Corn on the Cob - "Roastin Ears" or " roastin ear'd corn"
Pintos Beans - "Dried Beans"
Iced- Tea - "Sweet Tea"
Burgoo, a thick hearty, spicy soup, with either Beef, Chicken, even Rabbit, Squirrel or Mutton ( very tasty )
Oh yeah "Mutton" - Hickory smoked Sheep or Lamb can be pulled or sliced, usually on sandwiches with an onion and pickle slice and "dippin sauce" ( vinegar based )
Banana Pudding ( mmmmmmm!! )
Pork on Toast - thats Purchase style western Ky BBQ...

Notice everything revolves around food? As I think of more stuff I will let you know..
Ohh yeah Ky expressions:
Over yonder or yonder ( used frequently )
Kentuckians pronounce " Tuesday" like "choos-dee"
"Back through that country" or "Way back through the country there"
Ex: "when I was a young feller I used to travel over the hills around the ole homeplace and walk alot back through that country there.
Hill is called a "Knob" a hollow is a "holler" a wide flat valley is a "bottom" or " the bottoms"
Etc etc..
Oh yeah for lots of people in Ky " vacation" means taking the 2 weeks or so in Oct or Nov off for hunting season EVERYONE in Kentucky:
Deer hunts
Coon hunts
Rabbit hunts
Squirrel hunts
Fox hunts

Hunting is the official state activity of Ky LOL!
#facepalm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky