Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:11 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

would winchester be that much for housing than Nicholasville or Berea? seems pretty similar. clark and Jessamine counties all have higher end subdivisions towards Lexington but are affordable from the main town and further out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 04:46 PM

536 posts, read 960,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
Ah. I THINK she can just fill an application out and they just transfer it. She did that from NC to Ga. Tn I know doesn't allow it they want more training which is dumb but their rules so. If either state makes her do more training that would make it a very easy choice lol...I am hoping to pick 1 or 2 towns in both states and go from there when we come visit. Pretty close to marking Lexington,Va off the list because it has such high unemployment rate although I love the history in the town. Leaning towards Berea or Winchester in Ky. In NC it cost me almost 200$ to tag,register,inspect my vehicle and around 130$ for wife's. Pain in the butt the way they got it set up now.

I've been through Lexington, VA on my way to see my sister. One area of interest to us there, is Buena Vista VA. It's a pretty town.

Berea is really nice, you really have to visit there. They have a college that is free, and you agree to work in some of the shops to help support it. They have lots of art trades there. As far as trade schools, there are many in Lexington, KY and around. Gateway community and technical school will probably make you take classes in other subjects, but they also offer technical training that doesn't require an associates degree. Lots of other for profit schools that specialize in different things. I'm not sure what your interest is there, but I know they have schools for so many things.

Not sure what the job market is like around Berea, but you'd be some what close to Lexington, KY,.

Hopefully, your wife can just transfer here with no extra schooling involved. Check it out to be sure in the field she is in.

We don't have vehicle inspections anymore, so that saves some money. Registration is high the first time, and then it gradually goes down with age of vehicle.

Winchester isn't too bad. I've been through there on the way to Natural Bridge. It's very hilly there and steep in some places.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:51 PM

430 posts, read 379,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
One thing to keep in mind about Winchester is that - while it really is a nice area - it's probably going to be more expensive than a lot of other places on your list. It's horse-ranch country, and tends to get a little bit pricey.
Does that go for the rental prices as well?

Thank you all yer being very helpful.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:16 PM

I doing a lot of reading and comparing cities in Va to ones in Ky and some things are coming up.A lot of people are talking about the high price of insurance and registering the vehicles....right now we pay 87$ a month for 2 vehicles. Both 2001's and we will be getting different ones come February mine again will be either a suburban or a truck of some kind hers will be a minivan which I HOPE will make her insurance go down. She has a irritating PT Cruiser right now and her insurance is almost double mine even though I have several tickets! Also It keeps showing Va at least the towns I put in being CHEAPER to live than Ky? Weird....I assumed it would cost more to live in Va.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I doing a lot of reading and comparing cities in Va to ones in Ky and some things are coming up.A lot of people are talking about the high price of insurance and registering the vehicles....right now we pay 87$ a month for 2 vehicles. Both 2001's and we will be getting different ones come February mine again will be either a suburban or a truck of some kind hers will be a minivan which I HOPE will make her insurance go down. She has a irritating PT Cruiser right now and her insurance is almost double mine even though I have several tickets! Also It keeps showing Va at least the towns I put in being CHEAPER to live than Ky? Weird....I assumed it would cost more to live in Va.

I lived in Charlottesville briefly before I moved to Northern KY. My family was there, so I went there first. However, Charlottesville as with a lot of Northern VA, has a high cost of living. I registered the car I bought there first and it was cheaper than when I registered it here when I moved. Parts of VA would have a lower cost of living, if you are comparing it to Lexington or Louisville. Some of the smaller towns and such in VA are cheaper to live in. I believe VA has a 4% sales tax. We have 6%, but we don't charge it on food at the grocery store. VA does, but at a lesser rate than 4%. Property taxes are pretty close, except in areas like Northern VA where it's more expensive. Cost of housing is cheap in KY depending where you look and raw land can be cheaper. Personally, if I stay in Kentucky, I'd like to move to the West. Near Paducah. I plan to go out there and spend some time looking around. The USDA planting zone is 7 there. We are 6 here.

I would say that KY and VA are very similar in cost of living in a lot of the areas. So you would have to do some comparing. The area off of I-81 is nice. Between Roanoke and Lynchburg. Buena Vista, VA seems nice. I think it's near Lexington, VA. Which has a college. You can see the blue ridge mountains from there. I'll be driving through again the end of the month on my way to see family.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:27 AM

The 2 towns we REALLY like in Va are Bristol and Abingdon. Christiansburg and Lexington were on the list and we may still go see them when we make our trip I am not sure yet.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
The 2 towns we REALLY like in Va are Bristol and Abingdon. Christiansburg and Lexington were on the list and we may still go see them when we make our trip I am not sure yet.

Yeah I thought Abington would be nice too. Bristol is near the boarder of TN. In the mountains too. But Abington seemed to have more going for it. Hard to know sometimes where to go. I've been researching a lot of areas. Will be here for a while longer though.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:51 PM

How come you are leaving Ky? I am 70-30 leaning towards Va for a lot of reasons. I know the tri cities area in Tn,Taxes seem cheaper,more bipartisan government in Va.Closer to beach/ocean,education systems seem to be better in Va.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
How come you are leaving Ky? I am 70-30 leaning towards Va for a lot of reasons. I know the tri cities area in Tn,Taxes seem cheaper,more bipartisan government in Va.Closer to beach/ocean,education systems seem to be better in Va.

I don't like living up here near Cincinnati. Would rather go west. However, I have family still in northern VA. If my parents end up leaving Colorado, then I might have to rethink VA as well. I don't have family here. I'm a gypsy at heart, like to move around. ha! But seems I get planted in places longer than I had figured on. VA is not bad, it has a lot to offer, and it's warmer near the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky