Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 07:21 AM

7 posts, read 8,924 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...

My family and I (husband, wife, daughter, dog, cat) are looking for land to buy in north eastern KY.
It may come off weird at first but please understand that my husband was born in Oklahoma, and I have spent summers in Arkansas and we both have decided we want to raise our family (plan to have more kids) in nature instead of NJ which is turning into NY. We are so sick of it here...no offense, I was born and raised but still. Please share with me ANY information you have, or where I can get free information sent to my home.

Goals:
live in our tiny house while we build a new home on the land
Farm for food
minimal trips to store (under 1hr away)
at least 1 acre (up to 10)
some neighbors would be nice, even if they never want to see us (thinking playmates for our children)
root cellar? I have not done any research on these but my mother in law shared the concept with us
some type of water (stream, creek, pond) on land
Preferably no communities such as a lake with a bunch of houses around it called some sort of lake name.
again no offense just wish to be more secluded in order to enjoy each other

We are mountain people, even though NJ is faster paced, we have always lived in hills & have done a lot of research on why NE KY is our destination. Some SOUTH EAST is an option as well..

We are ready to purchase land in a few months..
I am looking for all and any information we would need, and should know including laws.
Mainly hoping you can help us get in the right direction with purchasing land.
**any regular scams we should know about?

Thank you very much...and also please include any information or things you dont like about when out of staters move in.

God bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 08:30 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,248,746 times
Hmm... sounds like Kentucky will be a perfect fit for you...

Lot's of folks live in trailers on their land while the houses are being built.

I dunno, "might" have a bit of a milder winter down in SE Kentucky compared to NE but don't quote me on that. The mountains down in the SE part of the state are higher in elevation. I think you'll do well and love eastern Kentucky, it will definately feel right at home if you're from the Arkansaw mountains.

It's pretty isolated country in alot of parts so if you're looking to escape, it's the place to do it.

Have you thought about the "Lake Cumberland area down near Jamestown Kentucky in Russell County? Sounds like it might fit your criteria a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Cumberland

Old 01-06-2015, 10:04 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,882,400 times
Sounds like you might need to look at the South Eastern part also...I been in these parts for, well...a long time and seen no need to leave. It's got everything I need and more. Come take a look around! London, Corbin, Williamsburg, Barbourville, Somerset, Mt. Vernon. Several Lakes and streams. And I'm sure you can find a place to buy without and problem.

Welcome to Kentucky!

Old 01-06-2015, 11:34 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,115,126 times
Hi! Welcome to Kentucky!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltog...yer_detailpage

It sounds like you would be happy in many parts of Eastern Kentucky. At Kentucky tourism you can receive some brochures. (Go down on the page to where it says get a visitor's Guide.)

Kentucky Tourism - State of Kentucky - Visit Kentucky, Official Site

Once you decide which town or county you are most interested in, I would recommend you contacting a Real Estate Agent or Realtor in that area.

Here is a video of a man going home to Kentucky to help his Dad on the farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9KQzKsyMiY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky