Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 11:30 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
This has been an usual winter thou, this was the worst winter storm in years. I was in East TN on Monday when it hit and I couldn't get back to Lexington until wednesday. TN residents don't play, they closed all their roads, stores and schools for a week.
The reason they don't close roads in Kentucky so much is that Kentucky folks actually think they can drive in that stuff any better than Volunteers can LOL.

One time when I was in Kentucky one winter driving my Ford Ranger when I visited my grandparents and started out for town but the ice was so bad I turned around and came back, like a big chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 11:36 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
The reason they don't close roads in Kentucky so much is that Kentucky folks actually think they can drive in that stuff any better than Volunteers can LOL.

One time when I was in Kentucky one winter driving my Ford Ranger when I visited my grandparents and started out for town but the ice was so bad I turned around and came back, like a big chicken.
Eastern TN is a lot more hilly than Central KY. Driving even back on Weds was dangerous, I also spun out on 75 and I was driving slow like 65 MPH. Eastern KY is having similar problems like Eastern TN because their roads are more hilly and curvy. This winter sucks, its not only hard to get around but its cold as heck with the wind chill. I am not enjoying it. I would hate to live in Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland.. couldn't do their winter.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Eastern TN is a lot more hilly than Central KY. Driving even back on Weds was dangerous, I also spun out on 75 and I was driving slow like 65 MPH. Eastern KY is having similar problems like Eastern TN because their roads are more hilly and curvy. This winter sucks, its not only hard to get around but its cold as heck with the wind chill. I am not enjoying it. I would hate to live in Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland.. couldn't do their winter.
Look at this...I'll bet their keeping the "home fires burning" over in the mountains of Kentucky! -30's!!! Wow that's C O L D, super cold even for Kentucky mountain standards!! Imagine what temps are running on top of Pine Mountain over there...I'd hate to even think!

Old 02-20-2015, 11:42 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Look at this...I'll bet their keeping the "home fires burning" over in the mountains of Kentucky! -30's!!! Wow that's C O L D, super cold for Kentucky standards!!
Most of the state set new record lows but the good news its supposed to warm up the 30s this weekend, the bad news we are supposed to get freezing rain, snow and sleet and a mix of everything tonight and tomorrow. Yipppeee.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:55 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
"Any climate extreme blamed on global climate change?" No. But then, that's not what CraigCreek said, is it?

At the same time, though, if you paid any attention to the science of the issue, rather than the political rhetoric, you'd know that what CraigCreek said fits exactly with what's been predicted for at least 15 years. Weather patterns that have historically been somewhat stable and predictable become less so because the greater temperature differentials cause large air masses to move more erratically.

The science is really simple; I don't know why people who choose not to believe it go out of their way to make themselves look worse by misstating it so badly.
Thanks, Albert. I stand by my previous post.

Just got back from the grocery, along with most of the rest of the population of Lexington. One item on my list was more birdseed - juncos, cardinals, doves, squirrels, and even a lone robin (for whom I sliced an apple, since robins don't eat sunflower seeds) have shown up outside my back door. The snow is presently around a foot deep, and about five inches more are on their way tonight, along with ice, sleet and freezing rain. Going to be a rough weekend for everyone in Central Kentucky.

Can't speak for NOVA, the apparent location of the poster who objected to my POV, although it appears they're receiving a slightly milder version of what we Kentuckians are getting. It was 18 below zero last night, so that twelve inches of snow is still with us. No sign of the promised snow plowing on my quiet street yet, either - after getting my car out of my driveway for the first time since Sunday afternoon, I slipped and slid down the street, but did manage the outing. Had to gun the engine to get the car back up and into my driveway, though.

At least no pipes have burst at my house, nor have I lost electricity, unlike some others around the Bluegrass.

At least, not yet...

Keep warm and safe, everyone, regardless of location or points of view. Let's hope for an early spring, after all this "excitement"!

Last edited by CraigCreek; 02-20-2015 at 03:05 PM..

Old 03-03-2015, 07:32 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Don't look now but another 4 inches to one FOOT of snow is likely later this week across the state! This is the winter with no end!

Old 03-03-2015, 07:42 AM

Yep...looks like ya'll are about ready to get hit with round 2! Today's forecast below...

My cousin said this morning on Facebook. "If I didn't know any better I'd say that the poles have shiften and the north pole is no right on top of the state of Kentucky!"

Old 03-03-2015, 08:48 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Y'all can add potential significant flooding to the newest mess heading our way. Going to pick up extra salt, then secure the basement as much as possible as soon as I get back.

Right now - Tuesday morning - is the time to prepare. Make your bread and milk and gas runs, don't forget to return or renew your old library materials while borrowing others to see you through (hint: traditional books continue to work just fine during power outages), do the laundry, get paper plates, cook the casseroles and spaghetti and vegetable soup, move firewood into convenient range (set up the fireplace with wood and kindling ahead of time), clean up the cast iron to use over the fireplace coals, get some toasting forks, hot dogs, baking potatoes, aluminum foil, and marshmallows, fully charge your cell phones, check batteries for radios and flashlights, locate candles and matches and oil lamps...that should occupy everyone quite thoroughly until the rain, sleet, and snow move in.

Oh, yes, buy some sidewalk salt if you can still find it, and move your cars from any overhanging trees - lost my back window to a falling branch during the last major ice storm.

That sleet has me concerned - while today's temperatures are on the rise, they'll drop sharply and plunge on Thursday night. Sleet could easily turn into an ice storm. Let's hope we don't have a repeat of the 2003 storm, but if we do, remember what most of us learned about survival by necessity then, and be ready to rinse and repeat.

So get ready, and batten down the hatches.

Stay safe and warm, everyone. Spring has to come sometime...

Old 03-03-2015, 10:21 AM

Here's the latest...look at that band of heavy snow thats gonna go right along the river

Old 03-03-2015, 12:07 PM

You know in Kentucky there's nothing that snowstorms and tornados love more than the "river" Look at that red band....right on the river...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky