Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:10 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You are surprised that people who have grown up together remain friends? Why is this an issue? Honestly, I would think it would be off if it were different.
As my daughter was told in Northern VA, hardly a conservative bastion. There are, as of May 2016, 476,000+ more registered Democrats than Republicans in the state of Kentucky. There are 135,000 more registered Democrats than Republicans in Jefferson County. What do you say we try to refrain from engaging in false narratives? Kentucky may vote Republican nationally but they tend to register Democrat and vote that way locally. (Remember Kim Davis? She was a registered Democrat) The fact of the matter is that it just isn't prudent when applying for any job to list something that shows a strong politican affiliation, regardless of party. You just never know who will be reading that resume.
Your friend's timing might be a large part of the issue as far as Islamophobia. Some of the families I work with up here have talked about how that distrust has grown in the last couple of years, and particularly this political season it has gotten much worse. If they are having problems in the highly tolerant, highly educated, highly minority populated Northern VA region, I imagine the heat in more conservative, less educated, less diverse areas is more intense.
Oh please... Did they tell her they wanted to kill her because she had California plates? Or because she did something driving that set them off and they threw that in for good measure?

Give me a freakin' break. I have driven in Louisville and other parts of Kentucky for the 35 years of my husband's military career with plates from all over this nation, including 2 1/2 years with San Bernardino, CA plates without anyone making a comment, let alone threatening me.
And? Got news for you, that isn't just a Kentucky thing. Most people have trouble understanding and/or accepting those that are different from them - just read your own posts.
Because UofL is a public university, removing it was the right thing. However, and I say this as someone who has every reason to dislike those types of icons, wiping away history does not fix it. We have, as a society, in some important ways become far less tolerant over the last 20-30 years and rather than trying to educate and sway people with different views, the tendency now is to declare them evil, ignorant, or assign a negative moniker (like bigot or redneck) and demand they march in lock step. There is probably no saying of late that drives me as nuts as I am intolerant of intolerance. Talk about blatant hypocrisy.

That I understand. I can not wait to get back to my sweet, simple Kentucky.

Wow....excellent post and rebuttals that are fact based. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 08:40 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yes, actually. She got out of her car and yelled at her for having CA plates. I don't remember the exact quotes my mom relayed to me, but it involved things like "you f***ing Californians ruin everything you liberal POS. GTFO of my state and go back to your liberal hell hole. You don't belong here. FU I'd come in there and mess you up if I didn't have my baby in the car with me right now."
Dude....

So this Kentucky lady, with her baby in the backseat of the car, was cruising some parking lot looking for people from liberal states to harass and your poor mother had the misfortune to be innocently sitting in her properly parked car, ripe for the picking? Was she wearing her Daisy Dukes with a cigarette dangling from her lips while her baby drank coke instead of milk from her bottle?

I'm not going to say I don't believe you but it kind of reminds me of the vibe I got when Susan Smith described a black carjacker, wearing a knit hat in the middle of a sweltering August heat wave, who made her get out of the car and drove off with her two little boys. It's like some bad movie script that takes stereotypes to such an extreme that it no longer seems probable in reality to most reasonable people.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:09 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
I am not a transplant, I was born in Kentucky but at various points of my life I have lived in other spots....Connecticut, Miami, Baltimore, Utah...it never took too long before I wanted to come back to Kentucky. And I always came back.

I have always lived in the cities of Louisville or Lexington, so I don't know what its like to live in the small towns or the wilderness areas of the state...but I love that part of the state. I love the wilderness areas, the forests, the mountains the trees and flowers and sleepy little towns. It's the very heart of Kentucky. It is a jewel.

I love how people are so real in the state of Kentucky. Friendly and down to earth.
I love how the pace of life is a little slower, and people are so often so kind to people that they don't even know.

That story about the lady yelling at your Mother about being a Liberal from California was just crazy...it sounds like a stereotypical caricature of how people from California might view people from this area. I am not saying it didn't really happen, but I have never seen the likes of that kind of thing before.

Have you ever seen the movie "Elizabethtown" I would recommend it to you.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 08-25-2016 at 11:26 PM..

Old 08-26-2016, 05:04 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Dude....

So this Kentucky lady, with her baby in the backseat of the car, was cruising some parking lot looking for people from liberal states to harass and your poor mother had the misfortune to be innocently sitting in her properly parked car, ripe for the picking? Was she wearing her Daisy Dukes with a cigarette dangling from her lips while her baby drank coke instead of milk from her bottle?

I'm not going to say I don't believe you but it kind of reminds me of the vibe I got when Susan Smith described a black carjacker, wearing a knit hat in the middle of a sweltering August heat wave, who made her get out of the car and drove off with her two little boys. It's like some bad movie script that takes stereotypes to such an extreme that it no longer seems probable in reality to most reasonable people.
Lol yeah because I would just totally make that up. I love when people on this forum don't like something they instantly think it was made up.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:43 PM

I know that was directed for Old Hag, but I wanted to chime in.

Well, it doesn't mean the story wasn't true...but it sounds strange, I live here and have never remotely had anything like that happen. I probably know more Liberal people than conservative people here, and have had several friends that have relocated from California, and that is the first time I have ever heard a story like that.

You said it was what your your Mother relayed to you - so you weren't there, right? I was thinking maybe your Mom doesn't like you living here and maybe embellished a bit...because she wanted you to move back or whatever. (It sounds like something my MIL would do, lol!)

Old 08-26-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I know that was directed for Old Hag, but I wanted to chime in.

Well, it doesn't mean the story wasn't true...but it sounds strange, I live here and have never remotely had anything like that happen. I probably know more Liberal people than conservative people here, and have had several friends that have relocated from California, and that is the first time I have ever heard a story like that.

You said it was what your your Mother relayed to you - so you weren't there, right? I was thinking maybe your Mom doesn't like you living here and maybe embellished a bit...because she wanted you to move back or whatever. (It sounds like something my MIL would do, lol!)
Nope. My mom lives in Lex. Yeah it is an insane story and if it wasn't my mom that it happened to, I might think it was embellished at least a bit, but I know my mom, and that's not something she would do.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:03 PM

^Wow, I stand corrected in my assumption then...man, that is just flat out crazy !!!

Old 08-27-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Nope. My mom lives in Lex. Yeah it is an insane story and if it wasn't my mom that it happened to, I might think it was embellished at least a bit, but I know my mom, and that's not something she would do.
If your mom lives in Lexington why was she driving with California plates? What on Earth made her decide to move from LA to racist, bigoted, conservative Lexington, KY? I might understand Louisville since you live there and you believe it is at least not as bad as the rest of Kentucky. I guess I am just surprised since San Diego, where apparently your parents were contemplating retiring to about a year ago, would seem like such a better fit.
Quote:
So I'm from LA and I love San Diego. So do my parents. They're retiring in a year or two and want to move to SD. They love Hillcrest and Bankers Hill for the central location, local restaurants and cafes, and walkability. Just the culture in general. They're straight, but very open to the gay community.

Question is, would an older straight couple in the 60s actually LIVING in Hillcrest or Bankers Hill be out of place? They don't act their age. They can't stand the Florida retirement crowd. They're pretty adventurous and love traveling and trying new restaurants and exploring local neighborhoods and bike riding on their beach cruisers.

From what I've noticed, Hillcrest isn't overly gay like West Hollywood or the Castro, but it's generally very young, no? Maybe Bankers Hill would be okay for them?
You know, I always wonder why people who are aware that area has a culture they intensely dislike would choose to go ahead with moving there anyway. I suppose for you law school acceptance with its temporary commitment to the area was a motivator, but what motivated your mother? It's not as if you have expressed any desire to remain here, matter of fact I would venture to say you have made it clear you have no intention whatsoever of staying.

Seriously, everything else aside, I would love to know what would cause a person in their 60's to choose to uproot their lives by leaving a place they are comfortable with in order to settle in a place they think is inferior.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
If your mom lives in Lexington why was she driving with California plates? What on Earth made her decide to move from LA to racist, bigoted, conservative Lexington, KY? I might understand Louisville since you live there and you believe it is at least not as bad as the rest of Kentucky. I guess I am just surprised since San Diego, where apparently your parents were contemplating retiring to about a year ago, would seem like such a better fit.
You know, I always wonder why people who are aware that area has a culture they intensely dislike would choose to go ahead with moving there anyway. I suppose for you law school acceptance with its temporary commitment to the area was a motivator, but what motivated your mother? It's not as if you have expressed any desire to remain here, matter of fact I would venture to say you have made it clear you have no intention whatsoever of staying.

Seriously, everything else aside, I would love to know what would cause a person in their 60's to choose to uproot their lives by leaving a place they are comfortable with in order to settle in a place they think is inferior.
This is getting wayyy too personal. If you really want the whole story, you can PM me. I'm not trying to tell my entire family story on a public forum. She still has CA plates because KY isn't permanent and they, my mom and stepdad, aren't 100% sure where they'll end up in a year.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
This is getting wayyy too personal. If you really want the whole story, you can PM me. I'm not trying to tell my entire family story on a public forum. She still has CA plates because KY isn't permanent and they, my mom and stepdad, aren't 100% sure where they'll end up in a year.
You might want to share with Mom that Kentucky law is that cars must be registered in the state within 15 days of moving there, the only exemptions for dependent full-time college students and military. If she gets caught she will be fined and made to pay all back taxes on the vehicle plus interest. A couple of civillain employees at Fort Knox made that mistake and it cost them thousands. The state take takes it seriously since property taxes on vehicles are a major source of income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky