Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:16 PM

39 posts, read 199,322 times

Advertisements

I've been watching real estate sites like unitedcountry.com and LandAndFarm.com and have noticed that there are a lot of Amish farms on the market in central KY. Some have no running water, interior bathrooms or electricity. I see a lot of them in the Liberty, Campellsville, and Columbia areas. Does anyone know why so many of these farms are up for sale? Is the land played out or is something else going on? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 10:48 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,376 times
I have no idea. We have a lot of Amish and Mennonites all around my area.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:32 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacdo View Post
I've been watching real estate sites like unitedcountry.com and LandAndFarm.com and have noticed that there are a lot of Amish farms on the market in central KY. Some have no running water, interior bathrooms or electricity. I see a lot of them in the Liberty, Campellsville, and Columbia areas. Does anyone know why so many of these farms are up for sale? Is the land played out or is something else going on? Just curious.
Liberty (Casey County) is known to have the largest Amish population in the state. It's just probably normal for that many to be listed for sale.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:28 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,324 times
We have a bunch in the Jackson Purchase, in Graves Co they are dragging them into court for not putting a slow moving vehicle signs (the orange triangle) on there buggies. They claim it violates their religious right as using "modern" stuff ... to which I say driving on the road is not a "right" it's a privilege and if you want to drive on the roads then obey the laws. I've nearly ran over one buggy without a triangle one day, and yes I followed them until the police arrived as I called them in. For some reason they don't think that if a Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 going 50-60 mph hits them it will hurt. Black buggy or black asphalt is hard to see.

enough of my rant ...

Old 03-31-2008, 09:28 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
I see quite a lot of Amish in Crittenden County. I have also come up behind them, but give them a little slack. I'm not too worried about that little triangle on the back of a big black buggy. I can see that big black buggy long before I see that little triangle. I'm sorry to see them being hassled for their religious beliefs.
My exwife hired some Amish men to replace a floor in her house. In one day they took out the entire floor, including floor joists and had them replaced by 5 pm. That cost her around $500 for labor and material. And they asked her to deduct the half hour when they walked to the bank to cash some checks. She didn't deduct that though!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:18 AM

276 posts, read 792,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I see quite a lot of Amish in Crittenden County. I have also come up behind them, but give them a little slack. I'm not too worried about that little triangle on the back of a big black buggy. I can see that big black buggy long before I see that little triangle. I'm sorry to see them being hassled for their religious beliefs.
My exwife hired some Amish men to replace a floor in her house. In one day they took out the entire floor, including floor joists and had them replaced by 5 pm. That cost her around $500 for labor and material. And they asked her to deduct the half hour when they walked to the bank to cash some checks. She didn't deduct that though!

I sure wish more people had the Amish work ethic and sense of honesty. Our country would be much better off for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-31-2008, 02:00 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
I agree! But I did hear something on the "human side" of the Amish. A friend's parents live on the road going to the Amish community. Her mother, since their pool is fenced in in the back yard, tends to prefer her "birthday suit" to a bathing suit. One day just a little after sunset but still some light, she slipped out the door into the narrow breezeway to the fence. Hearing something out front, she looked over her shoulder and spied an Amish buggy stopped at the end of the driveway in full view of the breezeway. When she realized what he was trying to see, she spun around, hands on hips, facing the buggy. Her husband was in the pool and said her heard a loud "HEAH!" at the horse and that horse took off like he was running in the Kentucky Derby! And yes she covers up now till inside the fence! lol

Old 03-31-2008, 02:12 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
if someone on a public road can view a person in their yard in the nude, I would say the nude person is an exhibitionist

Old 03-31-2008, 08:02 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
if someone on a public road can view a person in their yard in the nude, I would say the nude person is an exhibitionist
I'd say if you aren't TRYING to show it off then you are not ... however if she's good looking I'll slow down too.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 25,048 times
Interesting commentsCan anyone help in finding out more about how the Amish farms especially with horses and mules, the old way of farming . I am also looking for a small Amish or Mennonite farm for rent or for sale or possible working on the barter system to live and work and farm. If anyone can help me or have any ideas I can be reach at [email]wandajodaniels@yahoo.comT[/email]hanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky