Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 04:42 PM

14,762 posts, read 8,093,254 times

Advertisements

^Great post. I didn't know all of that.

Did you know that President Abraham Lincoln was born in Kentucky, and that the President of the Confederacy
Jefferson Davis was also born in Kentucky not far away from where Lincoln was born?
Pretty well know fact, but I have always thought that was really interesting.

Many of the ancestors on my Moms side ended up in Kentucky because they fought in the Revolutionary war,
America didn't have a lot of money then to pay them, so they were also given land grants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 04:50 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post

Did you know that President Abraham Lincoln was born in Kentucky, and that the President of the Confederacy
Jefferson Davis was also born in Kentucky not far away from where Lincoln was born?

Many of the ancestors on my Moms side ended up in Kentucky because they fought in the Revolutionary war,
America didn't have a lot of money then to pay them, so they were also given land grants.
Yes, what's even more interesting about Lincoln is that 2 towns now are claiming to be his birthplace. It was always Hodgenville, but new information has come to light showing his parents didn't move to Hodgenville until after Lincoln was born. I forgot the town's name, now claiming to be his birthplace but I can find out on Tuesday.
There's a big controversy happening between the two towns and Hodgenville may no longer be able to definitely claim that piece of fame when all is said and done.

Old 01-15-2024, 06:50 AM

Something fun and interesting happened here the other day. Nick Clooney (Rosemary's brother) was honored to celebrate his 90th birthday at a local restaurant here in town. The town named a street after him and his son George was there to also honor his father with a toast. The city also proclaimed Nick Clooney Day. There was a nice picture of the event in the newspaper.

Part of the proclamation said, “whereas Nick has never forgotten Maysville and has taken pride in his childhood roots and maintained many lifelong friendships along the way, and whereas Jan. 13, 2024 will be Nick’s 90th birth-day, be it proclaimed by the City of Maysville that Jan. 13, 2024 will be celebrated as Nick Clooney day in the City of Maysville"

Besides having a famous sister and family, Nick Clooney became well known in Lexington as a journalist and news anchor and had his own TV show in Ohio among many other accomplishments during his career.

It's wonderful to honor people while they are still alive.

Old 01-15-2024, 04:18 PM

Here's a pic of Nick enjoying his 90th birthday party at the restaurant alongside his son George. Nick looks great for 90! They've both made Kentucky proud.

Old 01-16-2024, 05:11 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post

hey thank you for the beautiful photos....enjoyed.

Old 01-16-2024, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Here's a pic of Nick enjoying his 90th birthday party at the restaurant alongside his son George. Nick looks great for 90! They've both made Kentucky proud.
?

So I thought Rosemary Clooney was George's mother?

Great picture. thank you

Old 01-16-2024, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
?

So I thought Rosemary Clooney was George's mother?

Great picture. thank you
No, Rosemary was George's aunt. George is the son of Nick Clooney. George grew up here part time, worked in some tobacco warehouses as a teenager. He played sports here with other kids as well. He debuted his movie Leatherheads in 2008 here at the Opera House.

Last edited by marino760; 01-16-2024 at 06:21 PM..

Old 01-17-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No, Rosemary was George's aunt. George is the son of Nick Clooney. George grew up here part time, worked in some tobacco warehouses as a teenager. He played sports here with other kids as well. He debuted his movie Leatherheads in 2008 here at the Opera House.
ahhhh I see, thank you kindly, I always thought he was Rosemary's baby? LOL, seriously, I did....

His wife is so beautiful.....

Nice photos, thank you

can't give you another rep for a while....

Old 03-27-2024, 05:24 AM

14,762 posts, read 8,093,254 times

Up the road from where I live. Bradford Pears are in full bloom.
(I know they are suppose to be an invasive species, but I still love them.)

Old 03-27-2024, 10:07 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Took a drive through the countryside the other day and loved seeing all the redbuds in full bloom. When I worked for the highway department, we dug up quite a few redbud and dogwood trees and planted them in our yards. One man planted a dogwood and a redbud in the same hole. It was awesome seeing the blooms of both trees intermingled together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky