Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:23 PM

47 posts, read 138,131 times

Advertisements

I beg to differ with KYcoyote and question where he/she is really located. There are many wonderful neighborhoods in the vicinity of WKU. It just depends on what kind of area you like to live in. Plum Springs is very rural compared to Bowling Green. I sympathize with your problem of finding a place that will accept multiple dogs, esp. if one or more are pits. Unfortunately, bad owners have given pit bulls a bad reputation and most property owners just don't want to take a chance on the headaches. If you've found a place in Plum Springs that will take your dogs, I'm sure you're relieved. But Bristow wouldn't be even close to my first choice in elementary schools in this area and Plum Springs wouldn't be my choice of neighborhoods either. Depending on where you'll be working, it is a little off the beaten path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 04:49 AM

73 posts, read 219,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llgator View Post
I beg to differ with KYcoyote and question where he/she is really located. There are many wonderful neighborhoods in the vicinity of WKU. It just depends on what kind of area you like to live in. Plum Springs is very rural compared to Bowling Green. I sympathize with your problem of finding a place that will accept multiple dogs, esp. if one or more are pits. Unfortunately, bad owners have given pit bulls a bad reputation and most property owners just don't want to take a chance on the headaches. If you've found a place in Plum Springs that will take your dogs, I'm sure you're relieved. But Bristow wouldn't be even close to my first choice in elementary schools in this area and Plum Springs wouldn't be my choice of neighborhoods either. Depending on where you'll be working, it is a little off the beaten path.
He's working off of Nashville and Campbell. It's about 8 miles away. It's not great, but right now he's commuting 20 miles one way so it's better than the drive here.

I am more than a little worried about the school. Greatschools.com paints a dismal picture. If it comes down to it I'll homeschool her again.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:19 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlinggreenorbust View Post
He's working off of Nashville and Campbell. It's about 8 miles away. It's not great, but right now he's commuting 20 miles one way so it's better than the drive here.

I am more than a little worried about the school. Greatschools.com paints a dismal picture. If it comes down to it I'll homeschool her again.

Bristow might not be as bad as it looks as far as their test scores which are not great, but I do know some of the teachers there and they are very good teachers and care a lot about the students. They have implemented several after school remedial programs to improve test scores. As your child moves on to middle and high school you might want to move though.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:49 PM

47 posts, read 138,131 times
Default Here's Another Thought

If you don't mind driving your child to and from school, there is an elementary school that is on the corner of University Blvd. and Creason Drive, not far from Campbell Lane and Nashville Road. It's called McNeill Elementary and it's just across the street from WKU. It's part of the BG City School District and not only is it one of the best elementaries in BG, it is one of the highest rated schools in the state.

You might be able to get into the district through their tuition program. Many students that attend McNeill are on tuition as it is very convenient for WKU faculty. The tuition is fairly nominal ($250 year??) and there are some limits on the number of students that are allowed to attend with tuition. But if this idea interests you, I'd suggest that you visit the school. The principal could tell you more about the process to get a tuition student approved. You could probably just phone the school for an appointment. 270-746-2260. The principal's name is Mrs. Ingram. Or you could call the Central Office to inquire about the tuition process first...746-2200.

My kids both went to this school and we were VERY happy there.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:00 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
That is a good suggestion llgator if they have any openings. We paid tuition for my son to go to Potter Gray since we only lived 5 minutes from it, but were zoned for county...made no sense. Potter Gray is also an excellent school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky