Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 07:35 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Actually I still remember it. I still have that hym they were singing at the end stuck in my head.
My point is that out of everyone who is considering moving here, the story may have stopped 5 people from moving here.

Poverty will FOREVER be an issue. No matter what is done, it will not be eliminated completely. You also have to take into account that 3-5% of adults are not hireable for a job in the United States. I think those people should have more help than the people who are able to work but choose not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 07:43 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
My point is that out of everyone who is considering moving here, the story may have stopped 5 people from moving here.

Poverty will FOREVER be an issue. No matter what is done, it will not be eliminated completely. You also have to take into account that 3-5% of adults are not hireable for a job in the United States. I think those people should have more help than the people who are able to work but choose not to.

That is probably true. I know I would probably never move down there. NOT because of the poverty but because I am a Hoosier born and bred and will forever remain in Hoosierland. Although I would definetly visit down there again. Very beautiful scenery and friendly people

I couldnt agree with you anymore on poverty the adults that arent hireable for a job should receive more help than those who are just plain lazy and choose not to work.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:33 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Social services do not exist in eastern KY??? What is is it the third world? ..........
No, actually Third World Status is going to California.

Quote:
California - The First (but not last) Third World State
200812092916 | California: The First Third World State | / | Editorial (http://www.rightsidenews.com/200812092916/editorial/california-the-first-third-world-state.html - broken link)
Quote:
The state will suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants and other payments owed to Californians starting Feb. 1, Controller John Chiang announced Friday. California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants - Los Angeles Times

California today was branded the worst credit risk of all 50 states
California's credit rating cut to lowest of all 50 states | Money & Company | Los Angeles Times

World's 8th-biggest economy nears fiscal oblivion Economist: World's 8th-biggest economy nears fiscal oblivion

California's unemployment rate jumped to 9.3 percent in December http://www.venturacountystar.com/new...ps-93-percent/

Old 02-16-2009, 08:38 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
I watched this documentary and found it riveting. PBS did a series on this (followed several high school students over a year or 2) a few years ago and it was VERY well done!

I can see how people from the area could get offended or embarrased about the missing teeth, and incest part of the story; but it is interesting that they are claiming Dew is like an anti depressent.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:05 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Davart says--------"ABC is not going to spend an hour talking about the prosperity in eastern KY "-----

selective memory?

She did cover the very young coal miner who was able in a short time to buy a house for his family.
She did mention the good wages coal miners make.
She did mention the coal company owner who built a nice house in that area to show his committment of living in the area.

Some posters asked whu -Louisville- wasn't shown or mentioned.
Sorry, the documentary was about the Appalachians and not about Louisville.

Perhaps Diane Sawyer figured Louisville was not part of the Appalachians.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:25 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Davart says--------"ABC is not going to spend an hour talking about the prosperity in eastern KY "-----

selective memory?

She did cover the very young coal miner who was able in a short time to buy a house for his family.
She did mention the coal company owner who built a nice house in that area to show his committment of living in the area.

Did they spend a hour on it? No? I believe that is what I said.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

selective memory?

Huh? No one wanted Louisville mentioned. Trust me, there is zero percent in common between Louisville and Appalachia. My point was really that outside KY, people really don't know that there are actual cities and urban culture in the Commonwealth. My other point was that I was appalled that they made eastern KY look so bad. I have been once, mostly to the area around Pikeville, and the people they showed weren't common, they were the exception....maybe I didn't make it up into enough "hollers?" because that is where she found those incestual people living in filth.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:41 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
My point was really that outside KY, people really don't know that there are actual cities and urban culture in the Commonwealth.
I think that's a bit unfair.

Edit: Mea culpa - I am told food stamps cover soda (reference earlier post). Sad, but apparently true.

Last edited by FiveHorses; 02-16-2009 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Correction in information

Old 02-16-2009, 11:32 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
I disagree that Louisville has zero percent in common with Appalachia. Maybe the Highlands doesn't but South Louisville extending into Bullitt County has a very Appalachian feel to. When I drive down Cane Run Road I have to remind myself I'm in Louisville and not Corbin

Old 02-16-2009, 12:52 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
I think that's a bit unfair.

Edit: Mea culpa - I am told food stamps cover soda (reference earlier post). Sad, but apparently true.
To my knowledge they do not cover sodas, beer, prepared foods, cigarettes and that type of stuff. I never gotten them (food stamps), but I've seen them refused by store clerks as not allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky