Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:44 PM

28 posts, read 76,216 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to KY. We have looked in Boyd county area and seem to like it. We also looked around Barboursville WV. But we still like Ashland area or around there, not sure yet. We have not had lots of positive feedback and I would love for anyone to tell me about the Boyd/Greenup area. Or even another area close to there. My husband will be working out of Ashland but ibn WV and OH also. So we need eastern area. We have 3 kids alos.

Please someone give us more insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 11:14 AM

24 posts, read 82,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde-fam View Post
We are relocating to KY. We have looked in Boyd county area and seem to like it. We also looked around Barboursville WV. But we still like Ashland area or around there, not sure yet. We have not had lots of positive feedback and I would love for anyone to tell me about the Boyd/Greenup area. Or even another area close to there. My husband will be working out of Ashland but ibn WV and OH also. So we need eastern area. We have 3 kids alos.

Please someone give us more insight!

I live in lawrence co. in eastern ky and all i can say is its a descent place to live but there are alot and i do mean alot of drugs floating around here so if you have kids just watch them closly but other than that its ok oh, i live about 25 min south of ashland and i go there all the time and it would probably be a good place to go , but it does rain quite a bit sometimes as anywhere but the thing is it will be 20 degrees one day and 70 the next and then snow the next day so you cant count on the weather untill the middle of the summer (stopes going wild) so anyway good luck if you want to know more just ask and ill answer as quickly as posible.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:57 AM

THANK YOU so much. I never get any feedback on that area over there. I know there are alot of drugs everywhere, but hopefully it's not so bad. I live 20 mins from detroit now and it's the same here. It seems like a nice area in Boyd or Greenup. If you have any suggestions of nice cities or counties with in 30-45mins from Ashland that would be helpful. thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_fluty41230 View Post
I live in lawrence co. in eastern ky and all i can say is its a descent place to live but there are alot and i do mean alot of drugs floating around here so if you have kids just watch them closly but other than that its ok oh, i live about 25 min south of ashland and i go there all the time and it would probably be a good place to go , but it does rain quite a bit sometimes as anywhere but the thing is it will be 20 degrees one day and 70 the next and then snow the next day so you cant count on the weather untill the middle of the summer (stopes going wild) so anyway good luck if you want to know more just ask and ill answer as quickly as posible.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:27 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde-fam View Post
THANK YOU so much. I never get any feedback on that area over there. I know there are alot of drugs everywhere, but hopefully it's not so bad. I live 20 mins from detroit now and it's the same here. It seems like a nice area in Boyd or Greenup. If you have any suggestions of nice cities or counties with in 30-45mins from Ashland that would be helpful. thanks again

Ashland is one of the larger cities in this area, and has the most as far as things to do (restaurants, shopping centers/malls, movie theaters, etc), however there's still plenty to be found in the surrounding areas. Greenbo Lake, Carter Caves State Park, Yatesville Lake, they're all just short drives from the Ashland area. So if camping, picnicing, hiking, or caving is something you're interested in, you're going to be kept plenty busy. If you're up for a weekend trip (and again if the great outdoors are your thing) you can still go away and stay close to home without spending alot of money by going to places like The Breaks on the Kentucky/Virginia line, Cumberland Falls, Natural Bridge, etc.

A previous poster mentioned drugs and it wouldn't be right of me to say "Oh we don't have a drug problem here at all!" because that's hogwash, but I don't think this area has them any worse than any other one I've lived in. When people here say "there's a drug problem" they're mostly describing prescription pill abuse. It's not like you're going to be stepping over masses of homeless people drugged out on cocaine or heroin in the streets, though.

Other towns in the area would be South Shore, Grayson, Olive Hill, Louisa, Flatwoods, Cannonsburg, Cattletsburg... there's also across the river Ironton OH and Portsmouth OH, then Kenova WV with Barboursville and Huntington not too far off from that (Though I suppose those would take a bit longer than 30 minutes to get to.)

Old 03-18-2009, 11:57 AM

Thanks so much. I did look into a few of the other cities you mentioned. so far we love the area. So I am excited to move. From MI to KY is a big thing for us and we are happy about our decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Ashland is one of the larger cities in this area, and has the most as far as things to do (restaurants, shopping centers/malls, movie theaters, etc), however there's still plenty to be found in the surrounding areas. Greenbo Lake, Carter Caves State Park, Yatesville Lake, they're all just short drives from the Ashland area. So if camping, picnicing, hiking, or caving is something you're interested in, you're going to be kept plenty busy. If you're up for a weekend trip (and again if the great outdoors are your thing) you can still go away and stay close to home without spending alot of money by going to places like The Breaks on the Kentucky/Virginia line, Cumberland Falls, Natural Bridge, etc.

A previous poster mentioned drugs and it wouldn't be right of me to say "Oh we don't have a drug problem here at all!" because that's hogwash, but I don't think this area has them any worse than any other one I've lived in. When people here say "there's a drug problem" they're mostly describing prescription pill abuse. It's not like you're going to be stepping over masses of homeless people drugged out on cocaine or heroin in the streets, though.

Other towns in the area would be South Shore, Grayson, Olive Hill, Louisa, Flatwoods, Cannonsburg, Cattletsburg... there's also across the river Ironton OH and Portsmouth OH, then Kenova WV with Barboursville and Huntington not too far off from that (Though I suppose those would take a bit longer than 30 minutes to get to.)

Old 03-24-2009, 01:36 PM

Anyone else have any + things to say for Ashland are?

Old 03-24-2009, 06:37 PM

24 posts, read 82,230 times
yeah, i didnt read the other persons comment all the way through but they pretty much said it all and like they said about yatesville lake ,well its right up the road from me and there is cabins on the side of the lake and just plain camp grounds to put tents or campers ,deer and all sorts of things and its back in the woods so its peacfull and its just a real good place to stay for a week end or sompthing and it would be about 30 from ashland but other stuff about ashland i dont really know other than its not far from huntington and both places have malls and places to eat and movies ,so thats pretty much it but anyway hope you like it here if you come,and what i meant about drugs was in fact like the other poster said prescription drug abuse not so much other things like cocaine and heroin or crack so i hope i cleared the air,,..well good luck ..

Old 04-02-2009, 11:26 AM

Any other "advise" about N.E. KY?? I have done good research on schools as well. It helped narrow it down more to the area we like.

Anyone know much about Ashland area? I like South Ashland, Bellefonte, Olive Hill seems nice.?
Just looking for ANY honest replies. Thanks I really cant wait to move.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:22 PM

200 posts, read 806,913 times
If you are from Detroit check out Worthington and raceland for some reason idk why its always reminded me of home. I am from Waterford

Old 04-06-2009, 11:33 AM

141 posts, read 752,337 times
I love Eastern Kentucky but it could be culture shock unless you've spent time here before. I'd live in Ohio if I was an outsider and didn't know what to look for in Appalachia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky