Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 04:21 AM

5 posts, read 17,117 times

Advertisements

hi,
is anyone familiar with murray, kentucky? i'd love information about it.
thanks!
kitzy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 07:40 PM

16 posts, read 51,842 times
What specifically would you like to know Kitzy?

Old 03-26-2007, 06:16 AM

i am considering relocating there..retiring...i am very physically active and am looking for a place with easy access to hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming...where 150,000 can get me a couple of acres, privacy, quiet..yet not be too remote. nightlife is not important nor is retail shopping...but i dont want to have to travel far for groceries, the library...quiet and nature, acess to water....from what i read murray seems like a good bet for me...i would love your input, what do you think??
thanks, kitzy

Old 03-26-2007, 06:23 AM

hi,
i sent a reply but i dotn think it went...
looking for a area to retire with easy accesss to hiking, biking, water...small town-no need for nightlife or retail shopping but one large enugh to have a decent library and grocery shops.. where 150,00 can buy me a couple of acres where i can garden in QUIET, privacy......
murray appears to be a good possibility, your input would be appreciated.
thanks, kitzy
sorry if this is a duplicate, sometimes this site can be confusing...

Old 03-27-2007, 08:19 AM

39 posts, read 199,417 times
Default Me too!

Interesting that Murray seems to be presenting itself as a good option for people who value low-impact outdoor activity, peace and quiet and rural land ownership. I know a gentle soul here in Roanoke, VA who just purchased a house on 32 acres there. Maybe there's an old hippie migration beginning, similar to what happened around Fayetteville, AK in the 70s or Hendersonville, NC in the 80s. My wife and I are very interested in exploring the Murray area for the same reasons cited by kitzy. We both have job leads there (sadly, retirement is some years off for us). We own 4 horses and are excited about the possibilities in the LBL for hiking and riding. No real interest in night life or shopping but would like to find a minimum of 25 acres with the bulk in pasture for all our animals. We're looking forward to visiting soon.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:53 PM

39 posts, read 199,417 times
Default Best Places

I just read that Murray, KY is featured on the cover of the latest issue of "Where to Retire" magazine. This is usually the kiss of death since now real estate flippers will be buying up whatever isn't snatched up by retirees. I've seen this happen again and again. When Punta Gorda, FL was voted number one by Money magazine, real estate prices tripled. Lexington, VA is undergoing this now due to a couple of articles in national magazines. The realtors love it but it doesn't bode well for those of us who had been looking to buy rural property there.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:10 AM

4 posts, read 34,717 times
Default Murray real estate

Don't worry about being priced out of the market it Murray!!! I owned residential property there for years, even though it had been rated #1 place to retire by Rand McNally, and appreciation was the same there as it was elsewhere in Ky. once the novelty wore off after a year or so.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:57 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,905 times
I liked Murray Laid back not a bad place to visit I don't know much more about it since I just spent the nite their,and ate at the Sirlion Stockaid.and visited one church.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:34 AM

3 posts, read 11,199 times
I am relatively new to Murray, but love the town. Nice, quiet, and family friendly, and inexpensive.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:17 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,507 times
I spent my college years in Murray, and loved it. It seems to be a friendly town, always felt like a safe place. I wouldn't be against retiring there myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: