Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:55 PM

12 posts, read 36,169 times

Advertisements

What's Frankfort like for people aged 25-35?? Is there stuff to do? Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 01:59 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,751,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcbr View Post
What's Frankfort like for people aged 25-35?? Is there stuff to do? Any info would be appreciated.
No. Why do you ask? It's one of the smaller capitols in the US. For your age, the best city in KY is Louisville, or perhaps NKY, a suburb of Cincinnati. If you like a smaller college town vibe, Lexington is also nice.

However, if you prefer more country things and do not need a lot of bars and restaurants and young professionals around, Frankfort is a cute little town.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:53 AM

I would have to commute to owenton ky for work, and was wondering where other younger professionals would live with a communite uner 45 min. Do you know any the the louisville suburbs that might work?

Old 06-13-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I would have to commute to owenton ky for work, and was wondering where other younger professionals would live with a communite uner 45 min. Do you know any the the louisville suburbs that might work?
Wow, thats tough since Owenton is in the middle of nowhere. I would lean towards the NE suburbs of Louisville or the south suburbs of Cincy. Places to look would be Prospect, KY, La Grange, KY and Crestwood, KY in metro Louisville. In metro Cincinnati, you could look at Florence., KY or Union, KY.

About all these spots will end up being 45-50 minutes (and about 45-50 miles) to Owenton if you make good time, and you will never have to worry about traffic.

Frankfort is closer, only about 30 miles, but you may consider it worth it to live in suburbs of Louisville or Cincinnati only 25 minutes away from their respective downtowns and urban neighborhoods full of young professionals. Personally, I prefer Louisville's suburbs to Cincy's since they are more quaint, and Louisville is generally more accesible than Cincy, although quite a bit smaller.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:43 AM

141 posts, read 752,654 times
I'm not sure what the moderator is thinking.

LaGrange is a very nice town. If I had a family and a job in Louisville, I'd love to live there. But it's no more "hip" or "young" than Frankfort. The same goes for Prospect et al.

Louisville is more accessible than Cincy? How? That statement makes absolutely no sense to me.

Frankfort is as diverse and young as you will get within *reasonable* distance of Owenton. You have all the downtown artsy stuff because the legislature likes to fund that sort of thing. You've got distilleries galore. You've got Kentucky State University chock full of young people and a statistically higher percentage of blacks than any surrounding county.

There are bars anywhere. There are young people anywhere. To assert that to have a life you must live in a huge metro area with access to trendy downtowns is insane. If you really want that, visit on the weekends.

Think about it - no matter whether the poster moves to NKY or Louisville, he would have a 50ish minute drive home. And Then he'd have to drive another 25-30 minutes to get to downtown Cincy or Louisville. Who has time for that?

If he moved to a place where he'd have a reasonable commute, he could get home at a decent hour, socialize locally (people are people everywhere - you don't need a big city to meet people), and make a trip to a bigger city on the weekends when he's not already exhausted after a long day's work.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:43 PM

728 posts, read 1,677,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoGratias View Post

LaGrange is a very nice town. If I had a family and a job in Louisville, I'd love to live there. But it's no more "hip" or "young" than Frankfort. The same goes for Prospect et al.

Louisville is more accessible than Cincy? How? That statement makes absolutely no sense to me.

Frankfort is as diverse and young as you will get within *reasonable* distance of Owenton. You have all the downtown artsy stuff because the legislature likes to fund that sort of thing. You've got distilleries galore. You've got Kentucky State University chock full of young people and a statistically higher percentage of blacks than any surrounding county.

There are bars anywhere. There are young people anywhere. To assert that to have a life you must live in a huge metro area with access to trendy downtowns is insane. If you really want that, visit on the weekends.

Think about it - no matter whether the poster moves to NKY or Louisville, he would have a 50ish minute drive home. And Then he'd have to drive another 25-30 minutes to get to downtown Cincy or Louisville. Who has time for that?

If he moved to a place where he'd have a reasonable commute, he could get home at a decent hour, socialize locally (people are people everywhere - you don't need a big city to meet people), and make a trip to a bigger city on the weekends when he's not already exhausted after a long day's work.
No more hip than Frankfort? Huh? I can see your argument regarding Cincy Vs Louisville, but Frankfort? You lost me after that.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoGratias View Post

I don't think you get what I am saying. You can't view LaGrange by itself. As part of metro Louisville, this puts the OP within much closer proximity of HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of young people. There is not even 100k people in the Frankfort area. Frankfort is tiny and is absolutely no place for young people. There is more to do for a YOUNG PROFESSIONAL in one block of Bardstown rd in Louisville than in all of Frankfort.

If you are 25-35, the only tolerable place to live in the entire Ohio Valley is as close to Louisville or Cincinnati as possible. Sure they have bars everywhere...where you can watch Nascar and talk about fishing with old guys. Of course this is a bit of an exaggeration, but unless you are a black frat guy, there is about all of one place in Frankfort where you can meet young people.

A young professional DOES need to be close to trendy downtowns unless they enjoy quaint antique shops, coffee shops that close at 8 PM, and hanging out with old ladies at art fairs (Frankfort is a lovely town, just not for young people).

Also, Louisville is absolutely more accesible than Cincy. Being a decent clip smaller, it lacks the high end shopping or pro sports, but it is much less spread out and easier to get around. And frankly, I think Frankfort Ave and Bardstown Rd are more hip and young than anything in Cinc, but this is merely an opinion. I stick to saying the OP would be much happier being as close to these cities as possible.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:36 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,574,985 times
I really don't get why so many tell younger people to move to large cities. I am 29 and I am perfectly happy living in a smaller town. (No, I do not work or own a farm either.) That means there's other people my age that would also enjoy small town life. Not everybody likes big cities. Plenty hate them....

What "city" people fail to realize is that we, those of us not in the big city, can enjoy city amenities on a smaller scale. Don't understand? If not that's a good thing for us small town people.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the info. I would rather be near a larger city just because I'd be moving down there by myself and might have a better chance to make friends if there are more things to do around town. Find myself wishing owenton, where I would work, was 20miles closer to either louisville or NKY but I guess you do your best with the job you can find in these times. I'm thinking Florence. Sounds like it may not be ideal but a good start.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I would rather be near a larger city just because I'd be moving down there by myself and might have a better chance to make friends if there are more things to do around town. Find myself wishing owenton, where I would work, was 20miles closer to either louisville or NKY but I guess you do your best with the job you can find in these times. I'm thinking Florence. Sounds like it may not be ideal but a good start.
I think so too. Florence is pretty much suburbia, but there are a lot of young people around, and Cincy is only 25 mins away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky