Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 05:53 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I really don't get why so many tell younger people to move to large cities. I am 29 and I am perfectly happy living in a smaller town. (No, I do not work or own a farm either.) That means there's other people my age that would also enjoy small town life. Not everybody likes big cities. Plenty hate them....

What "city" people fail to realize is that we, those of us not in the big city, can enjoy city amenities on a smaller scale. Don't understand? If not that's a good thing for us small town people.
That's great, but are you single or married? I think the demographics speak for themselves. Why do you think places like the Highlands and Crescent Hill in Louisville have thousands of single young people with college degrees, in some cases with census tracts showing up to 75% of people with college degrees in those areas? Not only do cities have more jobs and opportunities for networking and growth, but they afford a young single person much more to do.

The fact that young people are drawn to these types of neighborhoods in the top 50 cities is nothing new, and is no surprise. If anything, marginalized midsized cities like a Louisville or Cincinnati have a tough time attracting these types if not only for jobs, but for public perceptions about the area. Still, they are large enough to have hip neighborhoods.

As you get into bigger cities like San Francisco and NYC, you see literally millions of these young professionals in the metro areas. There is a good book about this phenomenon:

Richard Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So yes, there are a few InLondons who enjoy country towns with few young professionals away from major metro areas, but I think the census demographics speak for themselves: young people, especially when single and post college, live in major metro areas. That is a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,362 times
in frankfort now on holidays i need a place to go to meet young professionals and socialize can you advise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky