Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:01 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,585 times

Advertisements

I would love to see any pictures of Lexington or Louisville. Can't find much on the internet. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 12:19 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,739,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I would love to see any pictures of Lexington or Louisville. Can't find much on the internet. Thanks
There are pictures of Louisville all over the net!

http://www.pbase.com/abdulsharif/louisville_kentucky

Be sure you click on the neighborhoods link on that sight, as he has captured quite a few of Louisville's urban neighborhoods. He has also captured parts of the grit on Louisville's west side, which is predominantly an African American neighborhood. I don't think he has pics from a single place outside 264, as he focuses on downtown and the older (cooler), urban parts of the city. So, don't think Louisville suburbs look anything like his pics. To see what Louisville suburbs look like, simply go to your local Olive Garden and drive up and down the road where it is located. All American suburbs post 1980 look the same, so higher end suburbs here will look exactly the same as where you live.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:31 PM

Thank you so much for this link. We live in Manhattan, so I can't go to an Olive Garden's, in fact I don't think we even have one here

Old 04-20-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for this link. We live in Manhattan, so I can't go to an Olive Garden's, in fact I don't think we even have one here
Sure you do. There is even one in Times Square and on Avenue of the Americas. But my point is, go to a suburban area 30 miles out in NJ or Long Island, and honestly Louisville suburbs won't look much different, its just on a much smaller scale in KY (and much closer to downtown). Let me know if those pics were what you were looking for, and if not, I can find more for you.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:33 PM

Thanks. I had no idea we had an Olive Garden. I love those restaurants! Anyway, the pictures were a bit of a disappointment. The skyline is beautiful, but I was hoping to something "pretty" and charming. I guess I will have to see it for myself in about 3 weeks when we head down there. From what I have heard, it has to be a more attractive city than those pictures depicted.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I had no idea we had an Olive Garden. I love those restaurants! Anyway, the pictures were a bit of a disappointment. The skyline is beautiful, but I was hoping to something "pretty" and charming. I guess I will have to see it for myself in about 3 weeks when we head down there. From what I have heard, it has to be a more attractive city than those pictures depicted.

Hmm, which ones did you view? The city itself is very urban (of course not Manhattan urban), so if you are expecting Mayberry, you won't find it here. That photographer takes REAL pics of the city and of real people, not some convention bureau type stuff. The blighted areas he takes pictures of on the west side are nothing like you would find in a big city.

If you don't think the Highlands and Old Louisville are beautiful, I am not sure what I can say to you You live in the world's urban capitol...if you are looking to get away from that, there are certain suburb/exurban areas that will be more to your liking.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:53 PM

Actually, I thought the pics of Old Louisville were the nicest. I couldn't get a sense of Highlands. I then went to search on the internet and I saw a nice picture of the library. Again, I have to see it for myself, I guess. While I love Manhattan and think it's actually a beautiful city, we're ready for something different. The only thing that I know that I don't want is an industrial looking city, but I have a feeling that's not the case for Louisville, right?

Old 04-20-2007, 06:56 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,334 times
Here are some collections from Lexington's Herald Leader (so they focus on the Lexington/Bluegrass area):
http://pictopia.com/perl/galproc/lhl (broken link)

Old 04-20-2007, 06:59 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,334 times
And some pics of Old Louisville in Autumn (there is also a link for spring pics if you click to the main page)
http://www.oldlouisville.com/Autumn/

Old 04-20-2007, 07:50 PM

283 posts, read 1,025,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Here are some collections from Lexington's Herald Leader (so they focus on the Lexington/Bluegrass area):
http://pictopia.com/perl/galproc/lhl (broken link)
Thanks nlschr0 -- appreciated especially the picture of Nicholasville Road! Looks beautiful, despite traffic during rush hour!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky