Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2007, 06:11 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,394 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Can anyone give me their thoughts on Lafayette High and Morton Middle? Also, the Tahoma Terrace neighborhood?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 04:46 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,560 times
Tahoma Trace is a lovely area. Morton is considered the best middle school in Lexington. Lafayette is fine but Dunbar and Henry Clay are better.
www.fcps.net has report cards for each school.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:04 AM

283 posts, read 1,025,933 times
Morton middle school has a fabulous report card. So does Dunbar. Henry Clay does also, plus they both have those great magnet programs (if you can get into them). Lafayette does have the pre-engineering program although I haven't found out much concrete information about that, and it seems less popular than some of the other programs.

Beaumont middle seems to have a very good report card also, although I haven't heard much about the school other than that.

It seems like Tates Creek High School (which awhile ago had lower report cards) might be up and coming. Their scores are going up and they are starting the IB program this year.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:08 AM

688 posts, read 3,038,214 times
Yep - adding my agreements! Morton is an outstanding school. Lafayette isn't the best school in Lexington, but it isn't the worst either.

Tahoma Terrace is one of my personal favorite neighborhoods in Lexington. But, as I said in a previous post, it is not in a great location for traffic and congestion. It is right on Nicholasville Rd, just south of UK's campus and the Central Baptist Hospital. It can be a pain to get into or out of each day. There are back ways out that let you wind further south along Nicholasville, or even pop over to Tates Creek, but there is no really convenient way to avoid the Nicholasville Rd hassle during rush hour. And, Central Baptist has announced that it will be leaving its current location once it constructs a new facility in Hamburg. So far, no specific plans have been made for its current buildings, so nobody is sure what impact that will have. Of course, it is prime real estate for UK, so I'm sure it will do ok, but there in the unknown there.

When you're in the neighborhood, though, it is so peaceful and quaint, with access to walking and biking trails in the adjacent UK Arboretum. The homes are older and historic, and they're very nice, but the area has kind of an informal, cottage-y feel (different from more formal landscaping of areas like Chevy Chase). Almost like you've found a secret garden right off of Nicholasville Rd!

Old 04-26-2007, 10:18 AM

216 posts, read 1,185,394 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for your thoughts! I appreciate it. As always, very helpful. Nothing like local knowledge.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:34 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,240 times
And from what I've gathered, Lafayette has a magnet for performing arts which you need to audition for.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:55 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
And from what I've gathered, Lafayette has a magnet for performing arts which you need to audition for.

Yes, and consequently a top marching band which happens to have a strong following in the school (Kentucky has a little bit of the high school marching band fever, although not quite like Ohio!).

Old 11-14-2007, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,131 times
yeah Im a student at lafayette and in the band if you want to go to a high school with preforming arts or a great band lafayette is the way to go also someone said they didnt know much about pre engineering it is a program that feeds into UK if thats a college that you are looking at

Old 11-18-2007, 07:50 PM

180 posts, read 596,820 times
I went to Muhlenberg North High School and I can attest to Lafayette having a very good band. I can't tell you how many times we went head to head with them in marching contest all over Kentucky and Tennessee. Lafayette is a good school regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky