Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:54 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,935,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
What?!? You are suggesting that the White folks are here illegally? Are you out of your mind? You minimize illegal immigration, by saying that White Europeans did something wrong 300 years ago. I'm sorry, but the excuse that "I was wronged 3 centuries ago" doesn't fly over too well with those that have an IQ over 75. It shouldn't fly here.

Do you even realize what you are defending? You are defending allowing fugitives to continue committing their crime with impunity. You are defending keeping our borders open, allowing for a potential terrorist attack far bigger than 9/11. You are defending people you shouldn't even be here taking jobs from real Americans, when the unemployment rate is 9.5%.

I would much rather have an American be able to feed his family, than a person who is here illegally. I will never apologize for my view of putting America and Americans first. I don't understand how those who put illegals above Americans can sleep at night.

I did address what you said, 3 times. I don't see why I keep needing to restate myself because you have a reading comprehension problem.

And I don't see the need to attack my immigration status, except perhaps that I need to be silenced, as I prove than an immigrant can sound American, look American, and love his country. The Mexicans who come over don't care to act American, and they certainly don't love this country.
Imagine if the native americans 400 years ago set up border patrols, did not care for the sick on the Mayflower, did not teach the pilgrims how to farm, and properly use the natural resources of this country, and instead told them to get the hell out of here and go back to poverty and dictatorship in Europe? That is what you are suggesting we do, right?

America is 200 (and some odd years old) years old, do you have any idea how old civilization is? Civilzation is over 10,000 years old. Which means that this country was not yours first! The melting pot you complain of, was created and has been facilitated over these years based on capitalism. If I want to turn a profit, I have to get it for cheap. I imagine in your world you beleive that by eliminating illegals from this country, that everything would go back to "normal". Well historically, this is normal! This is how it has always been! This is the doctrine that American was built on, from slavery (turning 100% profit, since you don't have to pay for labor) to hiring illegals to cut the grass (turning around 75% profit, since I don't have to pay full price for their labor).

And not once did I defend Illegal Immigration, I am explaining how it is not feasible, nor does any powering governmental body want to stop illegal immigration, just because you want to pick the feathers off of a chicken all of a sudden, since you lost your stock in AIG, and your 600,000 McMansion is on the auction block.

Illegal Aliens are allowing this country to remain a power in the global economy through cheap labor. Oh, I know right, welfare, and they are sucking the avergae joe-citizen dry, through social programs. Guess what, the # 1 user of welfare currently is Caucasian Americans. Not Blacks, not Hispanics, white americans. Don't believe me, look it up.

You are ranting and raving about immigration this, immigration that, but what are you really saying here? Is it a problem, yes. Should it be stopped, of course. How about it WON'T be stopped, as it is ingrained into the core of this country, and has allowed this country to function, and become a powerful nation, and it will continue to do so as long as the jobs that make this economy really turn (Science/Technology, etc) are outsourced to foreign nations (which I imagine you don't have a problem with) because of a trillion dollar deficit (in other words, more capitalism, why pay a Yale grad 120,00 a year for computer trouble shooting when I can pay a guy in India 40,000 for the same troubleshooting. Capitalism at it's finest, no?).

Do I have a solution, sorry I don't. But outside of flaming everyone to grab a shotgun and head for your local 7-11 and round up some mexicans, and drive them back to where they came from, how about thinking logically on this one, and placing your anger and focus to where it really belongs. Or don't.

Peace and Blessings

Last edited by cool rob; 09-16-2009 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 09:24 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Well Racism is certainly alive and well with this thread particularly with the OP. His last thread about Fort Worth was comical to say the least (particularly the part about Fort Worth being too small, so hes fleeing to Kentucky).

Maybe its because I grew up in Los Angeles and I live in Dallas, but I really dont care. Ive never lived (long term) in a places that wasnt majority Latino. Ive had wonderful experiances both places. My best friend's parents came here illegally, now they are citizens.

Maybe its time we quit painting everyone with a broad brush. Some come here illegally and some come here legally. There are good and bad people of every race. Some will take advantage of the system and some will work hard with the right intentions. We are a nation built on immigrants and a melting pot. My Grandparents came here from Lebanon themselves.

Assuming that you guys are from Kentucky, I can see why the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex would be hard to deal with. Its international, diverse, and Dallas has a huge gay community. Louisville is a charming town, but its not really any of those things and the rest of Kentucky sure as hell isnt. Kentucky is 91% white. To me, living there would be pure hell because I need diversity, but it works for some people Im sure. So I can see the culture shock might get to you.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:37 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,793,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Louisville is a charming town, but its not really any of those things and the rest of Kentucky sure as hell isnt. Kentucky is 91% white. To me, living there would be pure hell because I need diversity, but it works for some people Im sure. So I can see the culture shock might get to you.

And that is really what's at the root of much of this anger about undocumented aliens. The hatred and fear of someone who looks different, speaks different, and acts different, is almost palatable. Considering the wide variety of people that made this country what it is today, that fear is difficult to imagine. I could name a hundred contributions to America from immigrants, or people who spoke English poorly or not at all, or were a different religion, etc. But I guess it's natural to hate or fear something that is different.

English is a wonderful language. No one is a bigger fan of English than me. But English isn't magical or unique or central to what makes this a great country. We could almost as easily be speaking German today as the main language. (Or Native American!) It's just a historical quirk that we speak English. When the majority spoke English, English became the dominant language. When the majority speaks something else, that will become the dominant language. That's the way it works and it won't diminish our country one whit.

But frankly, that's just a straw dog being put up by those who oppose and even hate these undocumented people, imo. In any case, I again state that it's sad to see such hatred of fellow human beings who come from an area of the world that is across from an artificial boundary that was drawn mostly through historical accident. And the more you meet these people and learn about them, the less that fear will be, I would hope.

To me, much of this is about a perceived loss of power and position in society. For centuries, the white male has reigned supreme, not that we did such a good job with that supremacy. Some people just cannot adjust to a 21st century world and long for the 19th century world.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
And that is really what's at the root of much of this anger about undocumented aliens. The hatred and fear of someone who looks different, speaks different, and acts different, is almost palatable. Considering the wide variety of people that made this country what it is today, that fear is difficult to imagine. I could name a hundred contributions to America from immigrants, or people who spoke English poorly or not at all, or were a different religion, etc. But I guess it's natural to hate or fear something that is different.

English is a wonderful language. No one is a bigger fan of English than me. But English isn't magical or unique or central to what makes this a great country. We could almost as easily be speaking German today as the main language. (Or Native American!) It's just a historical quirk that we speak English. When the majority spoke English, English became the dominant language. When the majority speaks something else, that will become the dominant language. That's the way it works and it won't diminish our country one whit.

But frankly, that's just a straw dog being put up by those who oppose and even hate these undocumented people, imo. In any case, I again state that it's sad to see such hatred of fellow human beings who come from an area of the world that is across from an artificial boundary that was drawn mostly through historical accident. And the more you meet these people and learn about them, the less that fear will be, I would hope.

To me, much of this is about a perceived loss of power and position in society. For centuries, the white male has reigned supreme, not that we did such a good job with that supremacy. Some people just cannot adjust to a 21st century world and long for the 19th century world.
Beautifully put!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:45 AM

844 posts, read 2,102,593 times
Quote:
The hatred and fear of someone who looks different, speaks different, and acts different
This issue has nothing to do with what you wrote. Some may think "different" is the root cause, but they are wrong & need to open their minds. It is about a system that relies on everyone here being LEGAL, respecting the law and contributing to society. Do not try to confuse the issue or belittle the facts by pulling the race card.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
This issue has nothing to do with what you wrote. Some may think this is the root cause, but they are wrong & need to open their minds.
I dont think hes way off base, nor do I think he is the one who needs to open his mind.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 AM

36 posts, read 109,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I disagree. It's not RACE, it's the fact that they don't learn English and turn our cities into 3rd world countries. I really am tired of listening to people who have been here for 20-30 years still speaking Spanish. And the second generation still speaks Spanish every chance they get. Let's let immigrants in who either speak English already (many Europeans) or learn it quickly (many Asians). Forget the Latinos who have only a 2nd grade education! Plus, the illegals send most of their money earned in the USA back to Mexico to help the Mexican economy!

My great-grandmother, from Poland originally, never learned to speak a word of English. By the time she died, she was in her late 80's. My father's dad, from Greece originally, spoke a very broken English.

Neither my mother's mother nor father, both 2nd generation of parents from Poland, made it pass the 8th grade. Neither spoke grammatically correct English. My mother's mother died 2 years back. She was 81. She spent quite a few of her childhood summers picking beans on farms in PA.

All four of my mother's children graduated from college. My sister has her masters in Environmental Science. My brother has his law degree.

BTW, I speak both English and Spanish. I like to speak in every chance I get. I regularly speak it with my sister who lives out here in CO also. Isn't this a free country?

One last thing, by saying "you're 30 years too late", I meant that the hands of the clock cannot be turned back now. Even if every illegal immigrant returned back to their home country tomorrow, we would still be an incredibly diverse nation. For example, about half of my nieces/nephews are multiracial. The world has changed. Stop scapegoating immigrants/minorities.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:09 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,200,528 times
------" stop scapegoating immigrants/minorities"--

Who is ?

You are like many--------lump illegals and legals together so you can accuse anyone of being against illegals as being against immigrants/minorities.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:57 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,793,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
This issue has nothing to do with what you wrote. Some may think "different" is the root cause, but they are wrong & need to open their minds. It is about a system that relies on everyone here being LEGAL, respecting the law and contributing to society. Do not try to confuse the issue or belittle the facts by pulling the race card.
Well, I can only say I made this statement after the original poster admitted -- twice -- that race did play a part in his position. And I again state that it is my opinion, based on my personal conversations with people on your side of the question -- that if these were white Canadians instead of brown Mexicans, the opposition would be half as loud and half as widespread. That's just my opinion, and after reading the tone of the posts here, I see nothing to change my mind. Nary a word about illegal immigrants from Europe speaking German or Polish or Russian.

My opinion is that anyone thinking this is all about race is mistaken, and those who assert that this has nothing to do with race are equally mistaken.

So I won't play the race card unless that's what half the cards in the deck already look like.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:31 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,200,528 times
Quote:
Well, I can only say I made this statement after the original poster admitted -- twice -- that race did play a part in his position. And I again state that it is my opinion, based on my personal conversations with people on your side of the question -- that if these were white Canadians instead of brown Mexicans, the opposition would be half as loud and half as widespread. That's just my opinion, and after reading the tone of the posts here, I see nothing to change my mind. Nary a word about illegal immigrants from Europe speaking German or Polish or Russian.

My opinion is that anyone thinking this is all about race is mistaken, and those who assert that this has nothing to do with race are equally mistaken.

So I won't play the race card unless that's what half the cards in the deck already look like.

what areas of the United States are being over run with illegal immigrants from Europe ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky