Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:38 AM

276 posts, read 792,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900 TALKRADIO View Post
Pikeville is also home to a HUGE hospital for a town it's size, with helicopter sevice.
Pikeville is also home to multi-millionaires.
Pikeville is home to several realtors with sales in the multi-millions.
Pikeville has elementary and high schools in the Top 5 in the state according to test scores.
Pikeville is also home to a four year college and School of Osteopathic medicine...also a 2 year community college.

Are there run down areas??? Sure, every town has them..I guess with the exception of whereever highliner lives.
Is the Jail large? Yes, the facility also serves as a Hall of Justice and holds federal prisoners as a regional halfway house for the region in addition to it's regular run of county and state offenders.

Attitude goes a long way in eastern Kentucky and you'll find good and bad wherever you go.
As I said previously, I just returned from the Pikeville and Hazard areas last week. I found very kind and helpful people, beautiful surroundings and a overall a very desirable place to live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 12:53 PM

149 posts, read 764,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDOOWOP View Post
...............Despite the stereotypes..........Are there any nice retirement towns in the Hills/Mountains of Eastern Kentucky ??
Gotta define yer parameters - what're ye lookin for??

Wildlife nut here, enjoy having millions of wild critters all over the property. When 65+ yrs old in another 20 yrs, I'll wanna sit on the porch and make pals with possum and coons even turtles and snakes. Heck everything dwelling nearby.

Unfortunately much of Eastern KY coal mining districts Big Sandy in particular suffers easily the worst pollution in nation for otherwise amazing mountain scenery. Ye wont see chipmunks, squirrels or even birds at areas where creeks run green with sulphur pollution by-product of mining and processing coal dust.

Haint nothin against the folks who live there. Myself just aint interested at dwelling anywhere wilderness critters do not thrive.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcoyote View Post
Gotta define yer parameters - what're ye lookin for??

Wildlife nut here, enjoy having millions of wild critters all over the property. When 65+ yrs old in another 20 yrs, I'll wanna sit on the porch and make pals with possum and coons even turtles and snakes. Heck everything dwelling nearby.

Unfortunately much of Eastern KY coal mining districts Big Sandy in particular suffers easily the worst pollution in nation for otherwise amazing mountain scenery. Ye wont see chipmunks, squirrels or even birds at areas where creeks run green with sulphur pollution by-product of mining and processing coal dust.

Haint nothin against the folks who live there. Myself just aint interested at dwelling anywhere wilderness critters do not thrive.
I don't get it. I saw loads of wild critters in the area of Hazard to Pikeville. Around Hazard, I also saw a bear as well as elk. True, there were some mining areas, but there were sure a great deal o wild critters too!

Old 11-03-2007, 03:07 PM

149 posts, read 764,374 times
Maybe you dont get it because you've never lived there.

Lived at Pikeville 6 months temporary covering truck dispatch for company employee hospitalized with respiratory/heart related illness back in springtime/summer '05 probly caused just by livin there all his life. Said niether of his parents survived past 57. And gotta wonder about Pikeville hospital specializing in high-dollar funded cancer work. Is it because life expectancy among lifetime locals is waaay below national norm?

River behind temporary motel lodging provided by trucking company ran blue/green with zero signs of life. An avid fisherman, the only watershed deemed halfway decent/fishable was Dewey Lake 30+ miles away. Big Sandy region strikes me as most severely polluted area I've ever lived. Never saw chipmunk, squirrel or even birds.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcoyote View Post
Maybe you dont get it because you've never lived there.

Lived at Pikeville 6 months temporary covering truck dispatch for company employee hospitalized with respiratory/heart related illness back in springtime/summer '05 probly caused just by livin there all his life. Said niether of his parents survived past 57. And gotta wonder about Pikeville hospital specializing in high-dollar funded cancer work. Is it because life expectancy among lifetime locals is waaay below national norm?

River behind temporary motel lodging provided by trucking company ran blue/green with zero signs of life. An avid fisherman, the only watershed deemed halfway decent/fishable was Dewey Lake 30+ miles away. Big Sandy region strikes me as most severely polluted area I've ever lived. Never saw chipmunk, squirrel or even birds.

I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Old 11-04-2007, 08:34 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Default Kycoyote...Did ya see this?

Did you see this?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-04-2007 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: add content

Old 11-04-2007, 08:41 AM

Default KyCoyote..Did ya see this?

Old 11-04-2007, 08:47 AM

Default Kycoyote...Did ya see this?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-04-2007 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: fix content

Old 11-04-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Thanks for the beautiful gallery. I guess a picture (or pictures) is truly worth a thousand words!!!!!!!!! Very enjoyable!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2008, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,222 times
Blue 62 - thank you. Just entered site for info on Pikeville where we are thinking of moving to a job in their hospital. We love the out-of-doors and your scenery and wildlike pictures are absolutely excellent invitations to come there. ONE QUESTION in the back of our minds is about living near/in a mining town and the air quality. We are from Northern Michigan and it can't get much better living here in the National Forest. Any thoughts . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky