Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:02 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I've been to TN and KY several times.

Spent a week at Pigeon Forge last month and really liked the Smokey Mountains.
However, I certainly wouldn't want to live near a tourist area.

There are nice areas around Knoxville, but if you get closer to the Smoky Mts it is a tourist area.

Nice place to visit, couldn't imagine living there.
Morristown TN lake area isn't touristy at all, far from it. Keep in mind, it takes a good hour probably to get to Gatlinburg from there. And about 30-45 min to get to Knoxville.

I think its a good location personally because its far enough away to feel really secluded, but close enough to a lot of areas that you'd want to visit regularly & not have to drive forever.

Lake areas in KY seem to be really secluded, so it would def be more of a hassle to get to amenities like that (which seems to be what the OP wants).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 10:18 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Morristown is usually the first city in TN that is mentioned when the topic of--illegals-- is brought up.

That might not affect one's choice to move there, but for some it would.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:20 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Barren River lake and state park is only 5 minutes from the town of Glasgow, KY which iis about the same size as Murray with similar amenities and only about 20-25 minutes from Bowling Green with more to offer as far as shopping and eating out than either of those towns. Bowling Green also has Western Kentucky University and this area puts you about an hour from downtown Nashville. I think you need to check out both the Murray and Bowling Green areas.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:46 AM

174 posts, read 371,104 times
I did something similar in the 90's. I moved to Calvert City KY. You have to live in the state for 9 months before you son can get the in state rates for college, other wise you pay the same rate as if you still lived in Ws. This might be something to think about.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:07 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
I think just about every state does that.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:26 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nived1964 View Post
Hello,

We had been looking at KY, but found out that Tenn offers no Income tax.

Kentucky is actually slightly more expensive in terms of personal taxation; according to the Tax Founadation in 2007 or '08, it takes the Kentuckian 13 months to make the same take-home income as the Tennessean due to the state and local taxation. Kentucky "nickel and dimes" you with sales taxes, property taxes, a progressive income tax structure rate that is one of the most "behind the times" in the nation, and an expensive annual automobile tax. Tennessee just sticks it to you all at once with property taxes and the nation's highest state sales tax (yes, higher than California.) Plus, I THINK TN taxes groceries (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) while KY does not.

Also, as far as corporate taxation goes, Tennessee has no state income tax. Kentucky assesses, I believe, 1-6%. Obviously corporations don't pay taxes, but anytime that you don't have to worry about that particular government-induced overhead you are made more competitive for business and consumers can purchase your product or service for less. So, Tennessee has the advantage on economic climate and for at least 25 years (until this current recession) Tennessee has blown Kentucky away in terms of economic development. Why do you think you see more threads and hear more people talking about Tennessee than Kentucky?!?!

Advantage: Tennessee

So which one is better?

Both have nice home prices, great views, good lakes, similar in climate.

Home prices are similar in both states (although KY may be slightly cheaper on the whole.) Great views...of what? Do you like lakes, mountains, rivers, palisades? You can have great views of all in either state, although I personally like the mountains of Tennessee better than Kentucky b/c Tennessee's mountains have some more evergreens in the landscape while Kentucky's mountains are dotted with white trash towns.

As for climate, the southern half of Kentucky is similar in climate to Tennessee, true. If you like snow, then southeast Kentucky or east Tennessee is for you. If you don't like snow, or at least not as much, then I suggest moving to the southern periphery of Tennessee and doing your shopping in MS, AL, or GA b/c of the cheaper sales taxes.

So what would have me pick one state over the other?

thanks

Dave
All in all, I'd pick Tennessee over Kentucky. My responses in bold above.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Morristown is usually the first city in TN that is mentioned when the topic of--illegals-- is brought up.

That might not affect one's choice to move there, but for some it would.
Ive never heard that. Source??

Old 01-17-2010, 12:34 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
You can just do what a lot of folks do. Find a city along the border, live in TN, with no state income tax, and shop in Kentucky.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:03 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Ive never heard that. Source??
City-Data Detailed Profile

10.4 % of the population is Hispanic ( way above state average )

9.3 % of the population is foreign born ( compared to 2.8 % for state ave

only 64.5 % of residents of Morristown have a high school education ( way below state ave

The biggest industrial employer in Morristown is a poultry processing plant

( which explains all of the above )

Finally, there is a TN thread titled----" Illegals in Morristown ? " which has 40 responses.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
City-Data Detailed Profile

10.4 % of the population is Hispanic ( way above state average )

9.3 % of the population is foreign born ( compared to 2.8 % for state ave

only 64.5 % of residents of Morristown have a high school education ( way below state ave

The biggest industrial employer in Morristown is a poultry processing plant

( which explains all of the above )

Finally, there is a TN thread titled----" Illegals in Morristown ? " which has 40 responses.
That really doesnt prove anything. For one, that percentage comes from the Census. So obviously they're not illegals if they're being counted.

Two, keep in mind this is in the mountains on TN. Not exactly a melting pot of different people or cultures & is basically all white American. Meaning people here are likely to see some Hispanics & automatically think they're illegals. Unfortunately, thats how a lot of people in towns like this think because they're rarely exposed to anyone who isnt white.

Lastly, keep in mind that the lake communities arent in Morristown & there are many places to choose from along those lakes down there. I suppose Morristown would be the place you'd go when you wanted to do any big grocery runs, Wal-Mart, etc. Knoxville would be your "big city", and Gatlinburg would be when you wanted to do the tourist stuff.

BTW, do these people cause trouble, break laws, are a menace, etc? If not & they're here legally, then what exactly is the problem?? Im sure most of these people are law abiding citizens who came here to work hard & provide for their families like everyone else. Remember, your family were once immigrants too.

So I suppose if a population of 10% Hispanic & only 90% Whites freaks someone out, then yes, they may wanna reconsider & shoot closer to that magical land of 100% White.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky