Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 04:50 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times

Advertisements

It has been one year. It would be damn odd if we have another one. WPSD in Paducah isn't outright saying it, but read between the lines. WPSD Local 6 - News, Sports, Weather - Paducah KY | Weather

Thursday is a high of 37 and low of 32. That is when the rain will come overnight and Friday the high is only 29. Add to that, it has been fairly warm recently. You do the math. I went and filled up all of my gas cans and have enough food for three weeks. The funny part is that the stores and the gas stations were all packed...people know it's coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 05:37 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times
Not hearing anything about an ice storm on this end of the state. Saying a possible snow storm though. It's too early to really know.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:54 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,926 times
The only thing I've heard about is snow. But I think everyone knows the weather/forecast for the Ohio Valley changes constantly. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we did get ice.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:56 PM

48 posts, read 121,549 times
We are going to be driving south on highways 75, 71 and 65 on Saturday. How does my driving condition prospects look at the moment. We hope to reach Elizabethtown after a long drive from Detroit. Also, the Stone Hearth restaurant is recommended by AAA as a nice place to eat. Is there any other places like this nearby? If the road conditions are bad we'll just hunker down at a nice motel until the highways are safe to drive again.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:54 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Go to weather.gov, and put in Elizabethtown , Ky in the box on the left and you can check the 5 day forecast. I still like George Carlin's Hippy Dippy Weatherman forecast. Dark tonight with widely scattered light towards morning! Have a safe trip!
Kentuckydad, all I saw was snow north of the Ky/Tn line and snow and a little ice south of the border. Their map does look like you and I will get around 6 inches.
I don't do the panic grocery shopping before the snows. We grocery shopped Sunday and got our Angelfood ministries food box (enough food to feed a family of 4 for a week. For only $30!) we bought Saturday. We'll make it.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Freezing View Post
We are going to be driving south on highways 75, 71 and 65 on Saturday. How does my driving condition prospects look at the moment. We hope to reach Elizabethtown after a long drive from Detroit. Also, the Stone Hearth restaurant is recommended by AAA as a nice place to eat. Is there any other places like this nearby? If the road conditions are bad we'll just hunker down at a nice motel until the highways are safe to drive again.
The snow looks like it will be tapering off by Saturday. Current forecasts call for 2-3 inches around Louisville, and 3-5 for E-town. It will probably change though so I would keep checking here... http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lmk/ 2-5 inches may seem like nothing to you since you live in Detroit, but that much snow could, and most likely will, cause a lot of accidents on the interstates here, especially from Louisville on south. I would be prepared for it to take you longer than you anticipated to get to E-town. We had about 500 accidents this morning just in Louisville, and we only got around 1/2 inch.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:48 AM

48 posts, read 121,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
The snow looks like it will be tapering off by Saturday. Current forecasts call for 2-3 inches around Louisville, and 3-5 for E-town. It will probably change though so I would keep checking here... National Weather Service: Louisville, KY 2-5 inches may seem like nothing to you since you live in Detroit, but that much snow could, and most likely will, cause a lot of accidents on the interstates here, especially from Louisville on south. I would be prepared for it to take you longer than you anticipated to get to E-town. We had about 500 accidents this morning just in Louisville, and we only got around 1/2 inch.
Wow, 500 accidents!!. How many have snow tires, we have had our snow tires on since the first week of December. We are driving from Collingwood Ontario Canada to Windsor on Friday and crossing over the Ambassador Brige early Saturday morning. At the moment I'm thinking we have two or three things in our favour at this time, One we won't be in a week day rush hour and two the forecast is for sunny or partly sunny days down I-75, I-71 and I-65. Thirdly I hope your highway crews have salted and sanded the highways by the time we get going. I have a question that I overlooked. What time zone is Elizabethtown Central or Eastern? I can tell that Bowling Green KY is Central but not Elizabethtown.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Freezing View Post
Wow, 500 accidents!!. How many have snow tires, we have had our snow tires on since the first week of December. We are driving from Collingwood Ontario Canada to Windsor on Friday and crossing over the Ambassador Brige early Saturday morning. At the moment I'm thinking we have two or three things in our favour at this time, One we won't be in a week day rush hour and two the forecast is for sunny or partly sunny days down I-75, I-71 and I-65. Thirdly I hope your highway crews have salted and sanded the highways by the time we get going. I have a question that I overlooked. What time zone is Elizabethtown Central or Eastern? I can tell that Bowling Green KY is Central but not Elizabethtown.
I don't know anyone with snow tires. It doesn't really make sense to buy them here because we rarely get accumulating snows. Just listened to the local meteorologist and he said the storm is trending north and slowing down so Louisville could see 6" with more in E'town, and now the snow wont be here until Fri. afternoon/evening. I would like to tell you the roads will be clear by Saturday night, but with past experiences, the road crews take a while to clear the snow, mainly because we don't have a lot of plows. It should be OK though by late Saturday evening, but it all depends on how much we actually get. I would still leave some extra time. And E'town is in the Eastern time zone.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:47 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
mdawg, do the state road crews clear the roads up there or is it contracted out? I worked the highway crews for 26 years and spent many a night (and day) seeing nothing but a wall of while where the plow and wind puts a wall of snow up between you and the road. We don't use contractors in this end of the state for snow and ice. We can take care of it ourselves. lol

Old 01-27-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
mdawg, do the state road crews clear the roads up there or is it contracted out? I worked the highway crews for 26 years and spent many a night (and day) seeing nothing but a wall of while where the plow and wind puts a wall of snow up between you and the road. We don't use contractors in this end of the state for snow and ice. We can take care of it ourselves. lol
I know Louisville/Jefferson County uses their own plows on state, county, and city roads, I also know Oldham Co. and Fayette Co. have their own plows as well. The state Dept. of Transportation takes care of the interstates. The only roads that are contracted out are neighborhood roads, and the HOA pays for the plowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky