Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:25 PM

305 posts, read 991,565 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to kentucky but I need facts. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and pay 900.00. Would an apartment be more than that per month? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 10:05 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
You're setting yourself up for a bunch of people telling you where they live is the best area to live. lol That will be a hard one to figure out because what is the best part for me, somebody in another part of the state will say I'm wrong and theirs is the best part. Been seeing that in here since I joined. I'm not telling you western Kentucky is the best part and I'm not telling you it's the worst. All I know is about what you're paying rent. My wife and I just bought a 3 BR 2 bath 9 year old home (in Cadiz) for less than your rent. Gassed up in Hopkinsville yesterday for $3.89.9.
Whatever part you move to...welcome to Kentucky!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:58 AM

15 posts, read 58,418 times
Default Welcome to Kentucky

Welcome to Kentucky! I think you're making a great decision if you decide to move to Kentucky. Cost of living is very competitive and the quality of life is exceptional.

If you're looking for a metro/ urban feel, then you'll have to look at locations like Lexington, Louisville, Northern Kentucky area. Though, rent prices in those areas may be comparable to what you mentioned on your post.

If you want the college town atmosphere, then Bowling Green, Murray, and Richmond come to mind as nice communities. Bowling Green is the largest and most metro of the three. But, they're all nice.

If you're looking for a nice blend between small and large city with good access to major metropolitan areas, then Hopkinsville is a nice choice as it's around 32,000 in population has a two year and four year college (Murray State University Hopkinsville Campus), is close to Clarksville and Nashville, TN with their larger populations, and is very affordable. In fact, you should be able to rent a 2 BR, 1 BA home in Hopkinsvill for less than $600 per month.

Whatever your choice, best of luck and welcome to our state!

Old 06-30-2008, 08:25 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeen2008 View Post
I am thinking of relocating to kentucky but I need facts. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and pay 900.00. Would an apartment be more than that per month? Thanks!!
A 2 bedroom apartment in a very nice area of Louisville or Lexington would run $500-$700

Old 06-30-2008, 10:11 AM

108 posts, read 452,342 times
You should be able to live pretty much anywhere in the state if you can pay $900 for a 2BR apartment. What other things are you looking for? Do you want somewhere urban, suburban, or rural? Do you want to live somewhere with great schools? If you can list some of the things you're looking for, we can give you better advice.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:24 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Well, you didn't set forth any criteria as to what kind of area you're looking for. Urban, suburban, small town, or rural?

These would be my personal choices for communities if I HAD to remain in Kentucky, which I don't plan to.

Urban:
  • Louisville: inside I-264 but east of I-65
  • Covington: Mainstrasse, Devou Park areas
  • Newport: East Row Historic District
Suburban:
  • Northern Kentucky: Kenton and Campbell Counties, as they're developing less rapidly than Boone County.
  • Louisville: Jefferson County outside I-264 but east of St. Andrews Church Road. (A large chuck of the county.) This excludes the community of Okolona.
Small Town
  • Danville
  • Cadiz
Rural (outside of the towns)
  • Mercer County
  • Owen County
  • Jessamine County
  • Daviess County
The rest of the state...fuhgetaboutit.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:16 PM

305 posts, read 991,565 times
Well I am looking for an area not poverty stricken if possible and an area with lots of jobs. I am used to the hustle and bustle of a IG city so maybe something a little more quiet? I come from Minnesota so 40 below zero is nothing to me. Cold weather I can handl. I want jobs and lower cost of living the most. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:57 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,968 times
What type of work do you do? That might help in directing you to a certain area. 40 below...brrr, I couldn't handle that. It rarely gets below zero in southern Kentucky and for that I am glad.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:00 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
It rarely gets below zero in southern Kentucky and for that I am glad.
Here either, thank goodness! I can barely handle the 40's much less less than that!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:48 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Here either, thank goodness! I can barely handle the 40's much less less than that!

I am with you, Missy. I hate what little winter we have and I know for the most part it is mild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky