Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 09:15 AM

42 posts, read 86,369 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Considering a move to the area. Wondered about the tick issue. We hike and do outdoor stuff.

thanks

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 01:52 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Nived, I haven't heard about in the LBL, but we live in Cadiz, about 10 miles west of Barkley Lake. My step daughter has 14 acres in the south part of Trigg. She pulls several ticks off her dogs every day, but not many on the humans. Haven't heard much on in the LBL, but can probably tell you in about 3 weeks. We're getting ready for a 3 family camping trip to Hillman's Ferry. They ahve a good trail there. You can hike back to the deepest part of Kentucky Lake. Think it's about 5 miles round trip.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:12 PM

Dave, I was roaming through the LBL web site (Land Between The Lakes | HOME) and found this.

It is highly recommended you use tick repellent from March 15 until the first hard frost (usually mid Nov.), before hiking or other outdoor activities. Tick repellent is available for purchase at all LBL Facilities or at local stores.

But that was probably common knowledge anyway.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 9,122 times
Default Permanon will be your new best friend...

I never experienced any problems with ticks in Murray, but then to be fair I didn't venture into the rural areas there much (if we wanted to go hiking, etc., we went to LBL).

LBL is pretty bad for ticks, if you don't prepare. If you're going on a long hike, permanon (spelling?) insect repellent is HIGHLY recommended. Spray your waistline of your pants, spray where your shirt overlaps your pants, spray your socks (before putting on your shoes for best results), spray the shoes, spray the ends of your pants.... There's several different species, and they're tricky little boogers... I have to work in tick-infested environments, and permanon has helped me tremendously.

Oh, also suggest you treat any animals for ticks/fleas.

Further, LBL is completely worth the anti-tick hassle.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2010, 04:22 PM

Just wanted to drop a note on this subject. We've been camping in the Land Between the Lakes this week. It's been super hot so we came home to sleep in a cool place and do some laundry last night. Heading back for the rest of the week in just a few minutes. But, on the subject of ticks, there are 5 adults, 4 teens, and 2 "younger than teen". The younger 2 and just about everybody from time to time has been through some of the wooded areas and down around the water. Been here since Saturday and we haven't seen a single tick yet. And we check often!

Old 06-23-2010, 06:12 PM

21 posts, read 101,552 times
We visit relatives in this area often (mostly in Fairdealing/Benton area) and we have pulled a couple of ticks off our youngest son. But that's twice in the nine years we've been visiting. Chiggers seem to be more of a problem for us.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:28 AM

180 posts, read 352,204 times
I remember being at Rough River Lake and seeing mosquito's bigger than soft balls.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:38 AM

One thing about camping in the LBL. Ticks weren't a problem but the racoons were!!! lol We finally learned how to close up my camp kitchen to keep them out, after we lost 2 bags of potato chips and about a roll and a half of paper towels. And, after a racoon carried off almost 2 pounds of bacon, we started leaving big pieces of rip rap on the top of each cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky