Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:43 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times

Advertisements

Won't the multigenerational civic center (upcoming) serve a lot of these purposes? At least, that is what I thought. Maybe not at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 09:22 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Because water parks are very expensive to operate. They depend on youth for summer employees, and with the trend to year-round schools, that source is now extremely limited. And unless you build a dome over the park and heat it, the revenue season is limited to 3 months. Maybe less, since it's in the mountains.
Wetlands (a very popular and strongly patronized water park) is open more than 3 months a year. Splash country, Dollywoods water park, which is even deeper into the mountains, is also open more than 3 months a year. I believe both are open about April till October?
Kingsport schools are not on year round schedules. But even if they were, we have many colleges in the area which means young college students who need jobs.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:54 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Mountains, schmountains. Around here you can operate a water park at least 5 months out of the year. This is substantially longer than the ski slopes can operate.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 7,816 times
How long did it take Kingsport to get that Y??... 10 yrs?? I think a waterpark would be a cool thing... but i don't think it will happen. I loved the water slide at Warriors Path as a kid. Kingsport is a nice place to live if your under the age of 18, retired, or have children under the age of 18. But there aren't very many jobs and any kind of nightlife is a joke.

Seems that unless it's some kind of chain with a name like "Target, Chilis, Pier One etc etc" people don't get excited about it and put their guard up.

I enjoy going back to visit my family, but I'm also always reminded why I left.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 PM

239 posts, read 699,623 times
I'm on the side where I am thrilled about Kingsport building a water park. We go to Wetlands in the summer, but it is so crowded by large groups of kids (summer camps, Girls Inc., etc) that is makes me miserable. On the bright side, the large groups leave about 2:30 pm and admission is half price after 3pm, so that is when we usually go!

Old 07-08-2010, 02:36 PM

239 posts, read 699,623 times
We just went to the Wetlands today, and wow....I have to reiterate how miserably crowded that place is because of all the large groups. They come all the way from Virginia and NC....this really makes me think that this area needs more swimming pools.

Not to be a grump, but it was so badly crowded with basically unsupervised kids, we definitely won't go back anytime soon. Even my boys (who *love* water) didn't have fun and wanted to leave.

I will be very happy when the new place is built....although I'm afraid it will be super crowded also. :-(

Old 07-09-2010, 10:59 PM

100 posts, read 354,685 times
Didnt realize Wetlands was this busy. obviously they are doing something right then but im with you Pacersfan i think this will be very busy as well especially considering this will eliminate the Legion Pool which is used by those type of clubs etc...

Old 07-11-2010, 10:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,892 times
I've lived a few years an a number of places. My experience with government built parks is that they usually end up costing 2 to 3 times the projected cost (similar to other government projects) -- and then they are never really well-run or well-maintained after they are built. Many fall into disrepair and any of the special features deteriorate and are eventually shut down. Somehow, the governments never seem to be able to operate them at a profit like the private parks do. And every time that there would be any fee increase to cover expenses -- it would become a major political issue.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:27 PM

80 posts, read 219,771 times
The pool at Roan Mountain state park is a state ran pool. I was just up there last weekend. It is very nice and clean and very well ran.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 AM

27 posts, read 73,864 times
A water park in Kingsport? Got a link to this claim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol