Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 01:17 PM

110 posts, read 229,401 times

Advertisements

I just moved to this area and am looking for a good butcher/meat market.

I'd like to find a place that sells good quality beef and such other than the grocery stores around town.

One local meat market (Prime Rib) appears to be out of business, and one other that I tried was OK, but nothing special.

Along similar lines, does anyone knows of a local business that sells Boar's Head deli products?

My wife and I love this area, but based on what we've seen so far shopping for grocery-type items is not very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 09:11 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Tony,

Kroger's carries Boar's Head items. There may be other stores that carry it but Kroger's (at least my store) does for sure.

There is a great butcher shop near Zak's Furniture in Boones Creek (in between Johnson City and Kingsport) that I used to buy from. I am sorry but I don't remember their name. Their bacon wrapped filet's were so good!!

I hope this helps.

SMG

Old 08-12-2007, 06:14 AM

110 posts, read 229,401 times
Thanks for the info. I've been to the meat market you mentioned (I live very closeby). We've been in Kroger before but I guess have overlooked the deli area. We'll definitely check that out.

Thanks for the info!

Old 02-29-2008, 05:34 PM

209 posts, read 417,337 times
Default area butcher/meat markets

tonypitt,

Recently, I got the name of a place in Johnson City - Hamilton Meats, from a friend who likes to cook. Haven't been there yet, but soon. For a regular grocery store, Kroger has about the best variety on their "international" aisle & produce department. If you're looking for an upscale grocery, check out Fresh Market in Asheville, on the west side of town. It's the only place I can find real parmagiano reggiano to grate.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:35 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
Where is the Hamilton Meats? What road? Land mark?
Can ya tell I would like a good meat market too?? hehehhehehe

Old 02-29-2008, 07:15 PM

69 posts, read 254,081 times
Default Tri-Cities Needs Good Meat Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypitt View Post
I just moved to this area and am looking for a good butcher/meat market.

I'd like to find a place that sells good quality beef and such other than the grocery stores around town.

One local meat market (Prime Rib) appears to be out of business, and one other that I tried was OK, but nothing special.

Along similar lines, does anyone knows of a local business that sells Boar's Head deli products?

My wife and I love this area, but based on what we've seen so far shopping for grocery-type items is not very good.
I recently moved here & have run into the same problem. This area is very limited in variety of food products. Those of us who have lived in large metros & are used to having accessibility to EVERY kind of meat, produce, canned/dried goods, are going to have to improvise. I can't get my fresh cajun andouille sausage or an authentic Italian sausage; can't find a real italian sub (though Bellacino's on S Roan is pretty darn tasty); haven't been able to find free-range chicken in the area, but just discovered there's a new natural foods market opening here in June . . . Hallelujah!

I'm pretty sure that JC, at least, will eventually offer every type of business/product that we all want. It's just now busting out at the seams because of the growth. It's going through typical growing pains. Where there is a demand, there will soon be a supply. Entrepeneurs, are you reading this?

Old 02-29-2008, 09:52 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
Yeah, I am totally excited about Earth Fare coming in in June. It will be located at the recently-vacated White's Store, beside Kroger near ETSU. They're advertising for a wine/cheese department head in the JC Press, so they're pretty darn "specialized," I think.

I don't really know of any good meat markets or locations for specialty cheese/meats etc, but if you call Natural Foods Market they might be able to give you a heads up. It's a locally-owned indie grocery that's been in the area since the early '80s so I'm sure they'd know of anything like that.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:26 PM

13 posts, read 56,911 times
so do grocery stores in JC have wine? I'm totally shocked that you have to go to a liquor store - oops i mean package store - to get a bottle of wine! i'm hoping that changes soon or at some point. if they have beer in a grocery store, good grief wine is more (or just as) paired with food as beer.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:04 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiostexas View Post
so do grocery stores in JC have wine? I'm totally shocked that you have to go to a liquor store - oops i mean package store - to get a bottle of wine! i'm hoping that changes soon or at some point. if they have beer in a grocery store, good grief wine is more (or just as) paired with food as beer.
Nope. No wine in grocery stores in TN. However the new Whole Foods store is hiring for a wine and cheese manager from what I hear so that might change?? I love my wine, so I too hope it changes but we do have a few great "package" stores here, such as One Stop.
The difference is alcohol content. A beer is 2.5% to 4% wine is 10%-13.5%.
In TN there are two different types of liquor licenses, One for Beer and one for all other, wine and liquor. In a lot of states the two licenses are one for beer and wine, one for "hard" liquor.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:45 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
It fits historical TN, too. Billy Schmo likes his six pack but don't care nothin' for no Zinfandel.

My favourite store is the one across from Kroger (& future Earth Fare).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol