Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:20 AM

104 posts, read 160,533 times

Advertisements

Cabela's is no longer alone up at Exit 5 and Belk announced they are leaving the mall and relocating at "The Pinnacle" beside Bass Pro at Exit 74

More businesses coming to Exit 5 development | News - Home

Belk building new store in Bristol, Tenn. | News - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,957 times
City officials announced today that three restaurants and a travel center will join the anchor store, Cabela’s, at The Falls Development at Exit 5 off Interstate 81.

In a joint meeting between the City Council and the Industrial Development Authority, purchase agreements and contracts were executed today with Calhoun’s, Smoky Mountain Brewery, Zaxby’s and Sheetz.

Calhoun's, Smoky Mountain Brewery among tenants announced for Bristol, Va., development

Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 PM

981 posts, read 1,621,220 times
Let's just keep spreading everything around so the only people that can get to it have to have cars. Can't wait to get out of this poorly managed area.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Let's just keep spreading everything around so the only people that can get to it have to have cars. Can't wait to get out of this poorly managed area.
Having a car in a rural area is almost a given. If you cannot or will not cope with that, leave. We don't have the population density to support a robust public transportation system and likely never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
City officials announced today that three restaurants and a travel center will join the anchor store, Cabela’s, at The Falls Development at Exit 5 off Interstate 81.

In a joint meeting between the City Council and the Industrial Development Authority, purchase agreements and contracts were executed today with Calhoun’s, Smoky Mountain Brewery, Zaxby’s and Sheetz.

Calhoun's, Smoky Mountain Brewery among tenants announced for Bristol, Va., development
I think the Calhoun's will be a big draw for several months, but not long term as there is far better BBQ in the area. I'd rather go to Ridgewood (best BBQ I've had even compared to Memphis/KC, even better than Arthur Bryants in KC IMO), Pratts, Phil's Dream Pit, or Firehouse. All of them had better BBQ than what I had at the Turkey Creek Calhoun's. After the novelty wears off, I can't see Calhoun's being a big factor.

The Smokey Mountain Brewery is going to be a major hit. There are NO gastropubs in the area where beer is also brewed on site. Many gastropubs/beerpubs like this brew their own beers and offer a reasonable food menu, on the level of a Fatz or Cheddar's, but the focus is on the beer, rather than the food. When I lived in Des Moines, Court Ave Brewing Company (local restaurant), Rock Bottom (chain), and Granite City Brewing (upper Midwest brewpub chain) all filled this niche. I've been amazed the Tri-Cities haven't gotten in on this action. If Smoky Mountain is half as good as the Midwest brewpubs I've been in, they will do very, very well.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Having a car in a rural area is actually NOT a "given." For centuries rural areas maintained their livelihood by organizing into a village-and-countryside approach. The Tri-Cities "rural" area actually is now just a suburban sprawl wasteland, incapable of fully being either a city, a rural village, or rural countryside. You are joking yourself if you can't see that.

I'm really disappointed in the developments on Exits 5 and 7, the Target development in Kingsport, and the surely-to-come Boones Creek development in Johnson City. The Tri-Cities lacks vision and leadership to structure the region for solid growth in the next 100 years.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 AM

981 posts, read 1,621,220 times
Great post, jabogitlu. I agree with you completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol