Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:22 PM

218 posts, read 308,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
Usually, they only allow etsu students in probably because the students pay for it but also because they have a facility that only fits 6k. They dont have room to let the general public come. This one is outside but again limited space.
This is likely a result of poor planning, something that has also plagued ETSU for decades. I have zero interest in Josh Turner (who?), and as a result made no attempt to attend. I double-checked the release regarding the concert, and the rules were as follows: ETSU student, faculty, and staff admitted free with ID. Three guest tickets at $15/ticket available to each student and faculty/staff member. Guests must be 18 or older.

Yes, these concerts typically are included in tuition. I've yet to be impressed by any of the performers, and as a result have not attended a concert. Given the option to opt out of paying "my share" for these events, I would be first in line to sign a waiver.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I so know what you mean. I have seen some positive changes happen since Dr Noland came on the scene. I think he is just scratching the surface, at least I hope so. There is an overripe opportunity there to go from good to great.

Maybe we should list all of the things we would like to see improve and alert Dr Noland to it. He is one of the more visible Presidents I have ever encountered and seems to be genuinely interested in what people have to say.

One of the things he did with Pride Week was to move the fall concert to this week. Little things such as this are showing attention to detail.
Dr. Noland seems to appear everywhere on campus, which is admirable from a student's point-of-view. Prior to his arrival, student government (SGA) and the student advisory board were nothing more than a formality. I have never been involved in either, but a close friend has, and relayed his frustration more than once. That will likely change for the better under Dr. Noland.

I am thrilled that the issue of vehicle traffic and the dangerous nature of pedestrian traffic is finally being addressed. ETSU has long been in need of a road diet. Center campus looks much nicer without a large parking lot and increased green space. Kudos to new, innovative minds for this change.

---

(Possible) Starbucks update: an e-mail sent to students earlier this week included a line stating "...Starbucks is getting ready to open in September..." I am assuming this means yes, there will be an on-campus Starbucks location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 10:25 AM

Another positive change just arrived in my email inbox: Sherrod Library hours have been extended! Opening time is now 7:30 am Monday-Friday; closing time has been extended to 2:00 am Sunday-Thursday. This begins September 9th.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:48 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,614 times
I think that 7:30 is great for students. I used to wish it was that time. 8:00 was ridiculous when classes start then.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:17 PM

I realize Pride Week has long since ended, but I feel this is the best place to give the following update.

As of yesterday, Starbucks is open on campus. It is located on the first floor of the DP Culp Center (in the area known as "The Cave"). It encompasses an area that previously held a generically-branded (read: Aramark) Chinese stand and a Starbucks-knockoff coffee shop, giving it a rather large space.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
The Starbucks that was going to go in across from ETSU and next door to the Millennium Centre is not going to happen. The deal to develop Lot 8 fell through. The Starbucks inside the Culp is open.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:26 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
That lot must be cursed. Maybe the city planning gods are reserving it for its highest and best use?

Old 09-27-2012, 05:34 AM

712 posts, read 1,488,270 times
I am glad to see that one fall through- the city had the decision to pick from 2 developers last time and picked this one, which was dumb. The bank was ready to go from the reports that I heard and could have had it built quickly, but they have now opened a branch in the Fresh Market area.

The lot is not cursed, the city has made some really dumb decisions regarding the lot in my opinion.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:35 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,614 times
A Starbucks there would have been better than a bank.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:48 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
I agree with you - the last thing it needs is a bank. WHERE are all the good, smart developers? Maybe that's what ETSU needs - to develop a real estate developer major. Clearly, there is a dearth in the TRI.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 PM

712 posts, read 1,488,270 times
Fundamentally, I dont think the city should be in the business of picking out who is allowed and not allowed to open there. It should be whoever bids the most. But thats the nature of these stupid city created development boards, they pick winners and losers on factors that are not based off of the free market. But I know im not going to get far on this board with that argument. As far as that goes, we dont need another frozen yogurt shop, starbucks, restaurant, etc. either

If another bank makes a profit, there is obviously demand. My issue with the previous deal was simply based off the company that they had a deal with, not the type of development
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol