Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:02 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,095 times

Advertisements

yes I saw some of what your saying, I still love Fla and what it is, I left not because of money, I guess it got a bit depressing seeing all the landmarks vanishing, like errasing my past so to speak. Also from Fort Lauderdale North all public beach had been errased and you could no longer get away from it all on a day off. I was lucky I traveled as much as I did I knew people all over the country and it made it easy for me to relocate, but for those without the resorces its alot tougher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 10:53 AM

227 posts, read 720,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAP_princess View Post
The fact seems to remain that the vast majority of the people running out of FL to places such as SC E TN, N GA, etc were PRICED OUT of the market for whatever reasons.

Some of these same people were indeed 'losers' who migrated from 'up north' to the 'sunshine' and dreams of finding the easy 'beach life' in the first place.

Many just packed up their Uhauls and left the cities and towns and moved to the Sunshine State without doing their research ! Just like they are doing NOW !!

There is a very old saying that "Florida either attracts the winners or the losers".

From my experience that's pretty much true in a lot of Florida cities
I'm still not sure why these folks are "losers". Maybe some people don't do their research or maybe things just don't work out the way they had hoped. That is unfortunate but doesn't mean they are losers. To me, a loser would be someone who doesn't try to better his/her life. And, getting priced out of the market isn't something anyone really thought of when they relocated to FL a few years ago - doesn't make them a loser. As someone said earlier, it's all subjective. Some folks think the locals around here are losers because they are content with their quiet, hard working, family and church oriented lives.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:21 AM

153 posts, read 479,973 times
That's our problem right now... real estate... we knew that when we bought our home in April 06 that we absolutely had to refi in April 08 but it's not going to happen.... we owe almost as much as we paid, the appraisal is way down from what it was and our credit is shakey, at best. It makes me a little sad, this was our first house and we love it but I'm tired of struggling everyday to make the mortage payment, insurance and taxes. We kinda got sucked in when we bought it... the last couple of weeks before closing the monthly payment kept going up "just a little bit"... our own fault, lesson learned.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:04 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,208 times
I've been coming to the area for a few years prior to moving here and I've noticed that with the influx of outsiders, there seems to have been an increase in the number of dentists offices, though this is only a laymans observation and not a scientific study.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:07 PM

227 posts, read 720,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
I've been coming to the area for a few years prior to moving here and I've noticed that with the influx of outsiders, there seems to have been an increase in the number of dentists offices, though this is only a laymans observation and not a scientific study.
Haha, one just moved his practice from Kentucky to Gray. Said there wasn't enough business in KY!

Old 10-19-2007, 02:16 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,208 times
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcommander View Post
Haha, one just moved his practice from Kentucky to Gray. Said there wasn't enough business in KY!
I've been through Kentucky and saw plenty of potential customers. I guess getting them into the chair is another matter.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:17 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,218,445 times
Most natives here are very friendly and accepting the newcomers. I do not mind them moving in. I am hoping that with the population increase, more and better jobs will come in. Exit 7 area of Bristol Virginia is exploding again - although no high paying jobs there.

We need to get some big companies moving into the downtown areas. Downtown Bristol has alot of room for some skyscrapers. Only about 3-4 buildings down there now over 6 stories high... what, about 3 are 12 stories tall?

Old 10-20-2007, 06:13 AM

365 posts, read 1,010,090 times
Hi all...
I'm new to this thread & this is actually my first reply. We're considering a move to the Johnson City/Kingsport area in few years. Well, it's either there or Indiana. I had to chuckle when I read the post stating that Madison, Wi has nine months of winter. I've been living in Madison, Wi for over 20 years and winter has never lasted nine months, although it does at times feel like it lasts that long! I've actually had a hard time trying to find another place that does compare to the quality & overall cost of living, to reloacate to. We have three years to decide. Can any of you give me reason to convince me that living there would be a better choice then say Lafayette or Bloomington Indiana?

The reasons for our relocation are: retirement (cost of housing, property taxes, income taxes will be too high with a limited income). Getting tired of the long cold winters (5-6 months of it). City is too liberal minded for us.
Biggest factor keeping us from making the move will be that our two grown children still live in Madison, Wi.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:41 AM

17 posts, read 60,410 times
Please beware my fellow Tennessee folks. I was born and spent most of my life in Tennessee until the last 23 years that I have been stuck in Florida. I say stuck because I was trying to lock in some kind of decent retirement. Now that I'm ready to return to my beloved mountains and family, I am stuck in a house that I can not sell. It's no secret about the "boom" and deflation of the housing market at this time in Florida; as well as the taxes and insurance going out of site. Growth and increased population do not necessary bring better jobs....look at Orlando forums if you don't believe me. Two years ago, I was looking at property in East Tennessee. My realitor said she would have to use her GPS because people in the area pulled up for sale signs as well as street and road signs. Smart move! These people already know what people in Orlando had to learn the hard way. Again, visit the Orlando formuns if you think growth is all it's cracked up to be.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:26 AM

365 posts, read 1,010,090 times
Come on guys, I'm waiting for your responses about what's so great about living in Johnson City or Kingsport, Tn. I've posted on the Lafayette, Bloomington thread & am getting lots of feedback from them.

I'd love to know what you appreciate or don't appreciate about where you live. I know, you don't want to tell me because you want to keep it all to yourself. Oh come on, please share.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol