Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:04 AM

35,168 posts, read 31,475,700 times

Advertisements

Another day, another murder-suicide locally stemming from what was obviously a domestic situation. Wasn't there a quadruple murder-suicide up in Glade Spring a few weeks ago? I did a quick search for "murder suicide" on the Times-News website and it brings up a lot of murder-suicides. We have a domestic violence problem in the area that seems to result in death frequently. What do you think is behind it?

UPDATE: Two dead in murder, suicide near Church Hill | Kingsport Times-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 09:01 AM

185 posts, read 290,610 times
I'd like to see national statistics overall before I jump on it being specific to the local area. Plus the difference between how often it happens and how often the media reports it.

I'd think it happens in large areas pretty often too, but might not be picked up by the media as much because of other stories being more newsworthy (to the source anyway). In smaller areas like the Tri-Cities, stuff like this is bigger news because they have fewer items that "outrank" it news-wise.

I'm also looking at this through the viewpoint of being a military spouse and knowing how often this type of thing is happening within our military all across the country. The typical reasons in those scenarios are likely different from the local reasons here, but it is an increasing issue within that "community" as well.

Still a huge tragedy. Domestic violence is a horrible thing. Not specific to Domestic Violence, but related, ETSU is hosting a Walk in Her Shoes event on April 3rd. It's a good thing to support.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:34 PM

8,089 posts, read 10,118,142 times
Guns.

When are we ever going to learn?

It is a sad commentary but we have brought this hell upon ourselves. Broken people in a broken society...and we give them more and more guns.

Is there ANY logic in that response?

Old 03-12-2014, 01:40 PM

185 posts, read 290,610 times
If not guns, they'd probably use some other method. It's a violence issue, not the choice of weapon.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:10 PM

8,089 posts, read 10,118,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenladybug817 View Post
If not guns, they'd probably use some other method. It's a violence issue, not the choice of weapon.
Perhaps...but you really have to think about poisoning someone, or chopping them to death with a hatchet, or stabbing them enough times that they perish.

With a gun, it is so simple, clean and easy. Bang. Your dead. My problems are solved.

Maybe.

(Sadly, I just think we have reached the point in our societal development (sic) where guns, especially hand guns, have no practical purpose other than to inflict harm on other human beings. For the one or two people that get stopped in the commission of a crime, we read about numbers of people who use the hand gun unwisely in the commission of a heinous crime. I know it doesn't sound logical, until you think about it: two dead because they couldn't 'fight back'; ten dead because they were emotionally/randomly executed in a moment of passion.)

Old 03-12-2014, 03:42 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,943,757 times
Very sad.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:13 PM

East TN is very permissive on gun rights. Most people are armed, many heavily. Combine this with our known prior drug and domestic issues, you then have a recipe for death.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:11 AM

712 posts, read 1,491,477 times
When I have time I will look at the statistics related to the area and see if it is more common than normal or not. But I suspect that it is a media issue. Overall this area does not have much violent crime, but they all get reported by the media in an area that doesn't have anything else to talk about.

Im not touching the gun debate, this has nothing to do with guns either way.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:34 AM

Yet another domestic murder in Kingsport yesterday.

UPDATE: Double shooting in Sullivan leaves wife dead, husband wounded | Kingsport Times-News

Domestic assault in public place leads to chase/arrest in Kingsport.

Man arrested in Kingsport assault, police pursuit and crash | Kingsport Times-News

Child abuse and neglect charges against Kingsport mother

Sullivan County welfare check spurs child abuse and neglect charges | Kingsport Times-News

This is just in the past couple of days. And we don't have an issue with crime, particularly with domestic and drug crime, around east Tennessee?

Old 03-15-2014, 06:51 AM

16,382 posts, read 10,496,551 times
Yeah that sure is concerning for sure. I asked this question in another thread but this seems like the better spot: is there really a crime issue in JC? Are there areas to avoid in such a small town? Kind of surprising to read that

As for the guns you are a brave man to open that can of worms on a Tennessee board Ted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol