Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 11:48 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times

Advertisements

Because Kingsport’s median age is higher than some of its sister cities, Jervis says PEAK is geared to those between the ages of “21 and 40-ish.”

“If there’s someone who’s really gung-ho about becoming a part of this organization and really wants to volunteer and grow socially and professionally, we’re not going to prevent them from doing so,” Jervis said.

Jervis says the mission of PEAK, which falls under the umbrella of the Downtown Kingsport Association, is to attract, develop and retain Kingsport’s young professionals and that everything the organization does revolves around five core components.

The PEAK connection: New group bringing young professionals together | Kingsport Times-News

Founded in 2010, Young Professionals Tri-Cities (YPTri) is dedicated to improving the quality of life for young professionals in the greater Tri-Cities region of Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia by offering social, professional and philanthropic opportunities. It is an organization for 20- to 40-somethings in the Tri-Cities who are interested in networking socially and professionally in a relaxed setting.
YPTri - Who we are

Facebook: Young Professionals Tri-Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 12:11 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
The idea is worthwhile but I'm not sure how how successful this will be or how many people this will ultimately attract.

Being a native, I've noticed that there is a lack of a professional culture in the area. Where I am now, coworkers often socialize after work or go out for food/drinks and it's easier to meet younger people because there are more of them. A lot of people at this office are from elsewhere and don't know many people, so coworkers become friends and connections to other professionals in the community.

In the Tri-Cities, many people are from there. They already have established social ties. I've also noticed that people tend to socialize and spend time with family, churchgoers, and people they've known all their lives rather than people from work.

I applaud their efforts, but don't know how far this will go in a lightly populated area with demographics that skew older and no creative, innovative type businesses that young people seem to flock to.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
In the Tri-Cities, many people are from there. They already have established social ties. I've also noticed that people tend to socialize and spend time with family, churchgoers, and people they've known all their lives rather than people from work.
The same is true for the vast majority of small cities (<100K pop.) across the US, but especially in the South.

Still, PEAK just held a membership drive at BANQ in downtown Kingsport that was attended by nearly 300 young professionals and they signed up 89 new members.

Last edited by kamoshika; 03-16-2014 at 04:15 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 09:30 AM

185 posts, read 289,333 times
You know, I would almost agree with Emigrations on this, as some aspects of my hometown is similar to Kingsport. However, a similar group started there too and is going REALLY well and making an impact on the community. Surprised me big time to see.

Hopefully Kingsport will have the same kind of success with their group.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:11 AM

125 posts, read 166,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I hope it is successful. Many years ago, my husband and I were early 30's, no kids, and we moved to a town that was much like this. A much bigger city, but still the kind of area where everyone is from there, multi-generations of families who had never lived anywhere else. It is very hard to meet people and have a social life when every local's weekends are filled… "it's my great aunt's birthday, my niece has a ballet recital, my father-in-law's brother is having us over, we watch my nephew play football Friday night, etc."

This looks like a good way for people to connect, especially with other transplants.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:39 PM

22 posts, read 30,982 times
I have been reading this forum for a bit because my job is being transferred to Kingsport. I have been an avid reader here but never felt the need to post until now. I am 47 year old professional that is transferring to your area so I can be within a few hours of my family (not too close ). The job I am filling has been open for a good while so it was easy to slide right in. I have visited the Northeastern TN area many times the most recent being last fall. I have been poisoned on the idea of Kingsport due to everything said in this forum. Now, I like the very pessimistic posts because it shows one side of the reality. I also like the posts by those that are 'happy happy" to the extreme and very much wearing rose-colored glasses and also those that have high incomes and are totally oblivious to what it means to not have money. That's what makes this forum special, the varying opinions to paint a clear picture.

I would not consider myself young and maybe focusing on the 'young' is not what is going to make any in-roads to growth in Kingsport. My job is one that you need to have 'experience' to fill, and like I said it has been open for a good while. I would totally overlook the group because being on the upside of '40-ish', it doesn't sound like I am their target. Also, my issue moving there is there is little to no nice housing anywhere that I can find. A downtown area that would have nice apartments, or a house that is not in a bad area is what I am looking for until I find a house to buy. It appears I will have to look closer at Johnson City because there is nothing really available in Kingsport. But I did try there first. Its unfortunate. I am coming there again in a couple weeks to look for a place to rent so I may have some specific questions to ask.

Thanks for all your viewpoints and honesty in this forum.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie Lynne View Post
Also, my issue moving there is there is little to no nice housing anywhere that I can find. A downtown area that would have nice apartments, or a house that is not in a bad area is what I am looking for until I find a house to buy. It appears I will have to look closer at Johnson City because there is nothing really available in Kingsport. But I did try there first.
This is off-topic but I'm really surprised to hear that, knowing the number of very nice & safe subdivisions/neighborhoods both in and just outside Kingsport (e.g., Rotherwood Hills, Rotherwood Estates, Allandale, Rivermont, Ridgefields, Huntington Woods, Fairacres, Old Island, Windridge Estates, Cooks Crossing, Preston Park, Preston Forest, Bailey Ranch, Warrior Falls, Sugarwood, Peppertree, most of Colonial Heights, etc.)

I don't know what your price range is but in the $250-500K range, Kingsport & JC have virtually the same ratio of homes listed per capita (1:357 in Kingsport, 1:362 in JC), per a leading RE website. If you're looking at more than $500K, then JC has about 25% more listings than Kingsport per capita.

Best wishes w/ your home search & new job!

Old 03-20-2014, 08:30 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie Lynne View Post
I have been reading this forum for a bit because my job is being transferred to Kingsport. I have been an avid reader here but never felt the need to post until now. I am 47 year old professional that is transferring to your area so I can be within a few hours of my family (not too close ). The job I am filling has been open for a good while so it was easy to slide right in. I have visited the Northeastern TN area many times the most recent being last fall. I have been poisoned on the idea of Kingsport due to everything said in this forum. Now, I like the very pessimistic posts because it shows one side of the reality. I also like the posts by those that are 'happy happy" to the extreme and very much wearing rose-colored glasses and also those that have high incomes and are totally oblivious to what it means to not have money. That's what makes this forum special, the varying opinions to paint a clear picture.

I would not consider myself young and maybe focusing on the 'young' is not what is going to make any in-roads to growth in Kingsport. My job is one that you need to have 'experience' to fill, and like I said it has been open for a good while. I would totally overlook the group because being on the upside of '40-ish', it doesn't sound like I am their target. Also, my issue moving there is there is little to no nice housing anywhere that I can find. A downtown area that would have nice apartments, or a house that is not in a bad area is what I am looking for until I find a house to buy. It appears I will have to look closer at Johnson City because there is nothing really available in Kingsport. But I did try there first. Its unfortunate. I am coming there again in a couple weeks to look for a place to rent so I may have some specific questions to ask.

Thanks for all your viewpoints and honesty in this forum.
I know some people doing very well in Kingsport. For the most part, they are people who have had a business here for a decade or more, a doctor, etc - not your average person. There are a few people on this board (jchometeam in particular) who DO seem completely oblivious to the area's faults and are little more than boosters for local civic orgs. You get that anywhere, but they're so far from reality in the Tri that it's pathetic.

Kingsport's downtown doesn't have nice apartments nor will it anytime soon. The demand isn't there because the money isn't there. Even if there was more money around, no one wants to live next to Domtar or Eastman with the smells and pollution. JC's downtown has issues, but I think it is making progress and far more likely for a turnaround than Kingsport.

Kingsport is the rear end of the Tri-Cities now and I don't see this changing. It's ugly as hell, stinks, is a cesspool of crime (go read Kingsport Times-News), and not desirable in the least.

If I were you, I wouldn't come here. If you must, I'd pay a bit of a premium to live in JC or even drive in from Bristol/Jonesborough.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:34 PM

22 posts, read 30,982 times
I am only looking at rentals right now. That is what I am having a tough time finding. Hopefully when I get there and start looking at local papers and such I will find something. After 6 months to a year I will buy if everything turns out well.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:59 PM

510 posts, read 1,386,833 times
Did I hear someone say "nurturing young professionals"?

Changes are coming to the Downtown Kingsport Concert Series for 2014 | Kingsport Times-News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol