Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 01:43 PM

22 posts, read 45,025 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to Tn from Illinois and I find people in this area very friendly and down to earth, but I can basically get along with anyone. I have been called Yankee but I am not offended since I know they are teasing me.

We have been here since Sept of 2014 and I love this area, the people and the beauty of the region. I was quite shocked at the amount of churches in TN vs IL, but we found a wonderful Christian church right down the road and fit right in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 03:02 PM

141 posts, read 297,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiam2 View Post
My husband and I moved to Tn from Illinois and I find people in this area very friendly and down to earth, but I can basically get along with anyone. I have been called Yankee but I am not offended since I know they are teasing me.

We have been here since Sept of 2014 and I love this area, the people and the beauty of the region. I was quite shocked at the amount of churches in TN vs IL, but we found a wonderful Christian church right down the road and fit right in.
awesome worship is good.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 4,564 times
My sister i moved to johnson city a year and a half ago. I am retired, and we came from
virginia beach and originated in nyc ny. Well my sis has had the hardest finding a job.
They like to hire "their own". The couple of jobs she did find, she was treated terribly
by the women, especially, as being the yankee. She still has not found a decent job and the
pay is awful,$7.25 an hour if you don't have a college degree. We are so disappointed in
moving here and i suggest you come for a long visit before moving. The mountains are beautiful but its also very hot in the summer.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:54 PM

116 posts, read 160,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsneakers View Post
My sister i moved to johnson city a year and a half ago. I am retired, and we came from
virginia beach and originated in nyc ny. Well my sis has had the hardest finding a job.
They like to hire "their own". The couple of jobs she did find, she was treated terribly
by the women, especially, as being the yankee. She still has not found a decent job and the
pay is awful,$7.25 an hour if you don't have a college degree. We are so disappointed in
moving here and i suggest you come for a long visit before moving. The mountains are beautiful but its also very hot in the summer.
Thanks Irish - I appreciate your insight. I decided to move to the middle of TN where theres a lot more transplants and yankees that seem to be doing very well. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you and your sister - that is a terrible feeling. Can you move back?

Old 09-21-2014, 07:40 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsneakers View Post
The pay around here is lousy. Always has been and probably always will be. I'd just go back to where you come from. Like I've said before, you can't eat pretty mountain views.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:50 PM

156 posts, read 119,236 times
I'd love to move back to the Tri-Cities but, as Emigrations said, the pay blows. I grew up in Bristol on the VA side and y'all in TN had the advantage over us in that you have no income tax...so the low pay was at least aided by the fact that you don't lose it out if your check. Va isn't a high tax state by any stretch but it isn't nearly as tax friendly as Tennessee. If I could find a job with comparable pay and talk my wife into it, I would be back somewhere in East Tennessee/SW Virginia tomorrow.

But as it is I'm stuck in Nebraska.....oh well...at least I have my Titans to keep me company!

Old 09-21-2014, 09:37 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICITIESTITAN View Post
But as it is I'm stuck in Nebraska.....oh well...at least I have my Titans to keep me company!
Poor thing.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:53 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICITIESTITAN View Post
I'd love to move back to the Tri-Cities but, as Emigrations said, the pay blows. I grew up in Bristol on the VA side and y'all in TN had the advantage over us in that you have no income tax...so the low pay was at least aided by the fact that you don't lose it out if your check. Va isn't a high tax state by any stretch but it isn't nearly as tax friendly as Tennessee. If I could find a job with comparable pay and talk my wife into it, I would be back somewhere in East Tennessee/SW Virginia tomorrow.

Lousy effort by the Titans today. Locker is no choice for the future.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:48 PM

3 posts, read 2,951 times
Irishsneakers, what a name! I am from the Bronx and sound like "My Cousin Vinny" Joe Pesci. Can't drop the accent tho I try sometimes. Well, I am coming to JC in a couple of years. My daughter wants to move there and she is a Registered Nurse. After I left The City, I moved to Vancouver, Washington in the Cascade Mountains. You know what? When 9/11 happened, strangers would hear my accent and come over to tell me how sad they felt about the Towers. You can't be blamed for where you have been born and people should stop hounding you about it. I am 67 and tired of hearing it. But darn proud of being born and raised in NYC. Lived in Murfreesboro and had no problems other than tornadoes. Had White Castle there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol