Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 07:58 PM

15 posts, read 60,269 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are going to do a "blitzkreig" type of visit to Johnson City in the beginning of January (after the Holiday madness settles). What I mean is this will be a short 3-day trip from FL-there-and back. Being that we'll only have that one day to romp around the area to see if it's what we are looking for, will someone/anyone please advise on the best use of our time to view the general area? That may sound ridiculous to some, but we have never been there and simply don't know where to start. I don't think we want the potential pressures of a realtor at this time since it's our first trip, but we sure would be appreciative if someone could point us in the right direction in advance. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 08:46 PM

227 posts, read 720,288 times
Hi Durf, of course it depends on what you are looking for up here.... rural, city, shopping, restaurants, etc. I would definitely drive around Johnson City and Kingsport. The two cities are quite different, especially downtown. Also check out Jonesborough, Gray, and Elizabethton if you have time. I would think the Chambers of Commerce would be a good place to start. They can give you maps and information on the area. They are: Johnson City Chamber, 603 E. Market Street, Johnson City, TN, 423-461-8000 and Kingsport Chamber, 151 E. Main, Kingsport, TN., 423-392-8800. If you have time, Bristol Chamber is 20 Volunteer Parkway, 423-989-4850.

One day isn't a lot of time, but if you can get the Chambers to send you maps and have it planned out, hopefully you will be able to get a feel for the area. I'm sure if you have other questions or explain exactly what you want to see while you are here, someone on this board will have the answers for you.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll love Tennessee!

Old 12-13-2007, 04:48 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
If you only have one day, I say skip Bristol altogether. I'd drive through Johnson City (hitting the old city [downtown], new town [the mall], and North Johnson City [Sam's Club]) and Kingsport (likewise, old city [which has been very remarkably facelifted and revitalized], and new city). These are the two urban centres of NETN and as such are likely where you'll spent a lot of your time at lunch and dinner.

As for living, do you prefer urban-y (nothing too urban up here), suburban or rural? If somewhere in the latter two, you should probably check out some of the surrounding communities (Jonesborough/Telford, Gray, maybe even ranging out to Elizabethton, Erwin, Bristol, etc.).

Old 12-14-2007, 07:33 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
I agree with the above post.
You said a "general" look of the area. What are you looking for ideally? Certain housing, stores, farm type areas, mountain views,(well those you can see from about anywhere), water ways? Some of those likes and some dislikes will help us give you more distinct areas if you would like.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:29 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,869,640 times
I'm not sure I would skip Bristol. It has it's own style and you might like it. I live down near Jonesborough and really like it here after moving up from Jacksonville, FL in September. Everyone's taste veries, I know mb likes Kingsport better, but I actually prefer Bristol, but I do like Johnson City better than Bristol or Kingsport. I don't know your job situation, but Greeneville is also a very nice town though smaller. Be sure to at least drive through Jonesborough and Elizabethton.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:34 AM

15 posts, read 60,269 times
Thank you!! I haven't checked back in lately due to a number of reasons, but we will definatley be traveling up there for the first visit in January. Thanks for the advice and I will follow your tips.

Thanks everyone- I will be sure to check out ALL of the areas mentioned here as we plan to make several trips before making a purchase.

Last edited by mbmouse; 12-28-2007 at 03:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol