Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:54 AM

156 posts, read 119,295 times

Advertisements

I moved away from the Tri-Cities area (Bristol, VA) about five years ago. When the Titans first came I became a huge fan and have been ever since but it seemed to me that the Titans never picked up much traction in the Tri Cities (TN/VA). I never understood it. We pick up the majority of the Titans games on WJHL so they are easy to watch/follow. I just never understood why they weren't bigger in East TN/SW Virginia.

Has that changed at all or still not so much?

Just curious. I'm going back home in November to visit some family and it just got me to thinking.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:21 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
People here are UT fans, then second is probably Appy State. Not sure why Titans couldn't overlap that, but folks in the upstate don't seem to have "Nashville" on their radar much, so I guess that bleeds over.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:52 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
UT Vols football is the biggest thing in TN.. makes sense since SEC football is king in most of the south.

Last edited by UKWildcat1981; 09-19-2014 at 11:38 AM..

Old 09-19-2014, 11:24 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I know a couple of folks really into pro football back home, but yeah, college football is the religion in east TN. Carolina is actually closer to the Tri-Cities, and is a much better team. Still, I think LP Field is one of the easiest venues to get into/out of I've been in.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I know a couple of folks really into pro football back home, but yeah, college football is the religion in east TN. Carolina is actually closer to the Tri-Cities, and is a much better team. Still, I think LP Field is one of the easiest venues to get into/out of I've been in.
I tend to agree with that. College football is the biggest thing in the Tri-Cities area. NE Tennessee and SW Virginia is without question college football country. As exemplified by the upcoming BATTLE IN BRISTOL...Tech vs UT....The brawl to end them all!

That being said though...I still don't understand why people don't gravitate towards the Titans simply because they are in our tv market. WCYB doesn't really show anything but WJHL out of Johnson City runs the majority of the Titans games which is how most teams tend to pick up a following anyway. Just look at Notre Dame...NBC runs their games which is the biggest reason that they have a big following.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:05 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,626,313 times
Honestly the Titans just haven't been worth the 5 hour drive since the Steve McNair days... nothing compelling to watch.

NFL fans around here already had their allegiances - big followings of Steelers, Raiders, Cowboys, etc. Many also grabbed onto the Colts when Mr Manning joined them, about half still pull for the Colts, the others followed him to Denver.

If the Titans had pulled Manning to Nashville, you would have seen the excitement level toward the team go through the roof.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:24 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Honestly the Titans just haven't been worth the 5 hour drive since the Steve McNair days... nothing compelling to watch.

NFL fans around here already had their allegiances - big followings of Steelers, Raiders, Cowboys, etc. Many also grabbed onto the Colts when Mr Manning joined them, about half still pull for the Colts, the others followed him to Denver.

If the Titans had pulled Manning to Nashville, you would have seen the excitement level toward the team go through the roof.
True - a lot of them have just followed Manning around. The Titans aren't really an exciting team and McNair has been gone a long time.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:45 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,925 times
I'm in/near Nashville and tickets are only $79.00........ Haven't been to a game yet!
I don't think the Titans are big anywhere. Without some major changes they will never be.
We have a coach from AZ Cards.... 8-8 at best, same as the last two coaches we've had.
They lost the games they should win, they lost big to the teams that are hot.
Let's see, 1st down run, second down run, 3rd down and long, pass....surprised everyone on the defense!!! LOL
They never mix it up much, just the same ole crap, you know S.O.S!
I really wish they would improve being so close to home, I'd love to see em do good, but don't expect much to change...
Sorry.......

Old 09-19-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
I'm in/near Nashville and tickets are only $79.00........ Haven't been to a game yet!
I don't think the Titans are big anywhere. Without some major changes they will never be.
We have a coach from AZ Cards.... 8-8 at best, same as the last two coaches we've had.
They lost the games they should win, they lost big to the teams that are hot.
Let's see, 1st down run, second down run, 3rd down and long, pass....surprised everyone on the defense!!! LOL
They never mix it up much, just the same ole crap, you know S.O.S!
I really wish they would improve being so close to home, I'd love to see em do good, but don't expect much to change...
Sorry.......
Really!?!?! Oh man! I would be at two or three minimum! I used to drive from Bristol to Nashville for Titans games about twice a year. It would take me about 4 1/2 hours to get to Nashville for the games...so the drive is kind of a pain in the rear but I thought it was well worth it. The atmosphere back was so fun. Now I'm in Nebraska so a drive to Nashville is a little impractical!

Carolina is a bit closer but they aren't in our TV market so it makes "being a fan" more of a pain. It's just so convenient having WJHL show the Titans games. TV is one of the largest "fan creators" because most NFL fans are fairly lazy. With the Tri-Cities TV market stretching to well past Kingsport over into Boone, NC, and up to SWVA...one would think the Titans would tend to get more fans simply because the market covers a lot of territory.

Now regarding our team. The Titans definitely need to make some changes but I think they make some smart draft moves and some smart FO moves. I think Whisenhunt IS a good coach. He had a crap situation in Phoenix...Kolb was a bust. However, Whiz can coach...just give him time. We made a good move in the draft by picking up Bishop Sankee and Taylor Lewan. These two will be good long term and I think Locker has the tools to be a serviceable NFL QB. He isn't a world beater but he isn't bad. If we can just get out there and pull in some solid receivers and a few sharp tight ends we will be in good shape. The defense is getting better. Jurrell Casey on the line is a bear. We need to get a decent corner and we'll be on the up I think.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:28 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,347 times
Up until about 3 years ago, the favorite football teams of NETN - and much of the rest of the state - were UT and the Indianapolis Colts. A little over 2 years ago, that changed to UT and the Denver Broncos. This trend can even be seen in the regions of Nashville, were Vandy and the Titans play.

It shouldn't be taken as any kind of slight to the Titans - this following started to develop before - or just as - the Oilers moved to TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol