Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:28 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times

Advertisements

What sort of fiddler are you/is she? If she's interested in old time music she'll definitely find lots of opportunities in the Tri-Cities and the other eastern TN / western NC cities for some great jam sessions. Just do some internet searching or ask away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 07:10 PM

77 posts, read 246,310 times
Default why not open your own dancing school?

Come check out the Tri-cities, and consider opening you own dancing school. With the popularity of recent TV dance competition/shows, and the great (fun) exercise of dancing, you'd probably do well. I'm not aware of any dancing open to the public at ETSU, either, so it may fill a niche.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:29 PM

359 posts, read 1,635,965 times
I think you would also like Contra Dancing - check it on on google - it's so fun!

Old 01-12-2008, 03:55 PM

11 posts, read 38,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyLois View Post
I think you would also like Contra Dancing - check it on on google - it's so fun!
actually, I am also a contra dancer--and in Long Island (that's in New York) I play fiddle in a contra dance band.
Joy

Old 01-13-2008, 01:00 PM

383 posts, read 918,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingjoy View Post
--and in Long Island (that's in New York)
Joy

Really..is that in the U.S.?

My main area of expertise is canines - dogs to the layperson....Harry Dunne

Last edited by ljay42; 01-13-2008 at 01:09 PM..

Old 01-13-2008, 01:11 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljay42 View Post
Really..is that in the U.S.?
There is an area of town in Kingsport called Long Island.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:12 PM

383 posts, read 918,862 times
Yes...the OP is from NY though.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:44 PM

11 posts, read 38,193 times
There is a lot of contradancing and contradance music coming out of the New York area. Jay Unger and Molly Mason are from my area, and have performed at a lot of dances and jam sessions (they wrote the music to PBS's The Civil War). They are really fabulous.

What is an OP???
Joy

Old 01-14-2008, 07:45 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingjoy View Post
There is a lot of contradancing and contradance music coming out of the New York area. Jay Unger and Molly Mason are from my area, and have performed at a lot of dances and jam sessions (they wrote the music to PBS's The Civil War). They are really fabulous.

What is an OP???
Joy
Original Poster

Old 04-12-2008, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,733 times
I live in the Johnson City area. There are lessons available at a few local dance studios. Many contra dances. Jonesborough - just a few miles west has great events. There also are a number of benefits that have a local favorite Charles Goodwin Orchestra, Bag O Cats play beach music at local events and there is a Shag club that meets each Monday. Just south in Ashville, N.C. (60 miles on great scenic four lane) there are NUMEROUS swing, Latin, tango,etc events and ballrooms. There are teens, middle age and retired and mixed events in Ashville every week.
For the person who wanted to learn ballroom dancing for her wedding. I love to dance and have taught several people to dance for their wedding. It's a great start and fun for the reception. Remember just a few things.
1. you can use a DVD to train but if one member picks it up quicker it is stressful
2. private lessons can be less intimidating
3. Be sure to practice in the shoes you wear to the wedding, and a skir the length of your gown. I've had many brides buy that second pair so they can enjoy themselves more at the reception.
4. If he's unwilling to learn to dance - negotiate. I wanted to learn and ended up going to a major sports event - he took the lessons with me. Now he loves to dance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol