Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 07:51 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times

Advertisements

As jabogitlu said, AMC is buying Carmike, so Carmike will probably stay the course until the deal is complete or falls through. So I wouldn't expect any changes through the end of the year. It would be perfect timing for another theater to come in and put them out of business.

I also don't think Carmike is "horrible" as described above, but it is below expectations for a place like JC. It was only slightly above average when it was brand new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 08:08 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Bass Pro is the type of place you go only occasionally. They showcase a lot of boats and higher end stuff that you wouldn't be in there every week - the stuff isn't necessarily "frequent repeat purchases" Yes, it's a draw, but not as much as a Costco would be, for instance. I'd also predict it becomes less of a draw as time goes on as the novelty wears off.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:16 AM

110 posts, read 229,368 times
The retail development over near Jason's Deli would be great for a Regal theater. I'm sure the Carmike is busy, but I think they miss a lot of revenue from people like me who don't see them as much of a step up from just waiting to watch a movie on DVD. With a nice theater, I think a lot more people would go. I'm hoping that happens sometime soon.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:49 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Bass Pro is the type of place you go only occasionally.
You would think so, but a couple of my co-workers go nearly every weekend to bowl and have a casual meal. Also apparently a place for casual business get togethers.
I've said elsewhere that I do think they need something besides fast food in the pinnacle in order to make the theater more of a 'date night' destination too. I don't know if high end would be the way to go but something like Bahama Breeze or Macaroni Grill would probably do well. Maybe something that doesn't already have a presence in JC or Kingsport.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:03 PM

Like Steak n' Shake?

Old 03-10-2016, 12:31 PM

185 posts, read 289,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Like Steak n' Shake?
Don't get me wrong, I love me some Steak n' Shake, but under no circumstances would I consider it a nice place for a date night. It's sit-down fast food, diner level.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:49 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
The Bahama Breeze would be a wonderful idea. I went to the one in Tampa and it was excellent. Sadly, they're only in major markets.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:56 PM

I was kidding about Steak n Shake. Should have added a lol or something.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:06 PM

110 posts, read 229,368 times
Isn't there a Calhouns going in at the Pinnacle? I thought it was on their list of tenants and there was a "coming soon" sign on a lot out there. Not sure if construction has started, though. I'd consider it a step in the right direction.

Edited to add: I just looked it up. Calhouns is going in at The Falls in Bristol near Cabellas.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:53 AM

708 posts, read 1,156,651 times
Me and my wife were passing along on Stone Dr. in Kingsport on Tuesday, looking at the usual suspects of fast food joints, restaurants, etc. Out of the blue she said let's eat Cook Out, I said where from? She said over there, pointing at a big ass Cook Out sign. I pass thru here 3-4 times a month and I never noticed it before, nor any other of them anywhere else. She said it had been there awhile. We stopped and ate there and I absolutely loved it. I know it's nothing fancy but damn the food was good for the price we paid. I feel like this place needs repped more, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol