Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 12:53 AM

18 posts, read 33,563 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I was wondering if there is much of a difference in the Roan Mountain area and the Mountain City area? I plan to move to NE TN at the end of July and I am most interested in those 2 areas that I mentioned. Anywhere between Elizabethton and Roan Mountain or from Holston Valley to Mountain City. Or anywhere between Mountain City and Roan Mountain. Are the mountains pretty much the same in the RM and MC areas? Is there about the same amount of mountain hiking available in both places? I have never been to NE TN. I am looking to rent, I would love to rent a mobile home in the country. I am looking on craigslist and elsewhere. I will make a visit before I move in either June or July. As backup plans Blountville and Falls Branch would work, it doesn't look like trains run through those 2 towns? JC is another option but can you hear trains no matter where you live in JC? I am from Iowa but I have ALWAYS been a southern at heart. Thank you so much for any help or info.

Last edited by Digger1000; 05-10-2017 at 01:49 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 10:09 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Being from Iowa are you prepared for what it might be like to drive on those mountain roads during the winter in the snow? Will you be needing a job? If either of those things might affect you I would suggest moving closer to one of the cities and driving to the areas you want to do your hiking.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:17 AM

Thank you DubbleT. I wont be needing to drive when there is snowy or icy roads so that is a huge plus. Does the area around the town of Roan Mountain get a lot more snow than the Mountain City area?

Old 05-10-2017, 02:09 PM

239 posts, read 699,623 times
You cannot hear the trains everywhere -- only if you live very close to the tracks. Overall, the trains are not a concern in my opinion.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:42 PM

Thank you PacersFan.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:16 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1000 View Post
Thank you DubbleT. I wont be needing to drive when there is snowy or icy roads so that is a huge plus. Does the area around the town of Roan Mountain get a lot more snow than the Mountain City area?
Sorry, I don't routinely visit either place and definitely I don't go driving anywhere I don't have to when it snows, lol. You might want to look at some different weather/climate stats at various weather sites to get a feel for which area might be better suited to your needs, maybe do a search on the forum to see if anyone has already answered this?

Intellicast - Roan Mountain Historic Weather Averages in Tennessee (37687)
Intellicast - Mountain City Historic Weather Averages in Tennessee (37683)

Old 05-15-2017, 07:44 AM

239 posts, read 699,623 times
Blountville and Fall Branch are not nearly as mountainous as Mountain City and Roan Mountain. I do not live in either area, but I do know they are the first areas to get snow in the winter simply due to the elevation. On the trains again, if you look at the map, you can see there is a train that runs on the eastern side of I26 in Gray. We live on the other side of I26 and NEVER hear the train. Ever. I mostly notice the trains if I am in downtown Johnson City and the trains go through there, and they go through with the horns blowing and everything. When you visit, I would just drive around and see what area you like the best. I would also look at Unicoi County because it is beautiful with mountains and hiking trails.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:42 PM

17 posts, read 21,990 times
I would look at Erwin and Unicom area.....I live just outside blountville towards Bristol. If you don't mind va the gate city area...well of sw Virginia could be up your alley

Old 05-21-2017, 01:06 PM

Keep the info coming guys, I really appreciate it. One thing though is we've got trains running through Erwin and Unicoi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol