Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 12:52 PM

18 posts, read 33,573 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I was wondering what the drinking water quality is like in NE TN?

Also separately I was wondering are there areas or rivers in NE TN that tend to flood?

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 02:16 PM

46 posts, read 76,180 times
Hi,
I can't speak for the flooding info in NE TN, but the water quality is 90 out of 100%, you can't do much better than that!!!
I too, will be interested in knowing whether flooding is an issue there.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:27 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,626,313 times
Both downtown JC and Kingsport have been known to flood. JC seems to have corrected their issue with a major mitigation project - time will tell. I think the story with the Kingsport flood was that the storm drains were obstructed but I'm not sure of that. In Bristol the area around the Speedway floods regularly.

I would assume that every creek in the area is a flood risk. The main rivers are not flood-prone due to the system of dams and reservoirs.

Johnson City, Bristol, and Kingsport water seems to be good. The smaller munis often have issues. One recently received a huge fine from the state.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:06 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1000 View Post
Hello everyone. I was wondering what the drinking water quality is like in NE TN?
Quality is fine AFAIK, taste might be something you want to check out if that is important to you. I like the tap water just fine, had some that's been better, had much that's been worse, but my daughter OTOH thinks the water here taste 'funny'and only drinks bottled water. YMMV

Old 06-08-2017, 04:30 AM

That is so good to hear about the water.

Does anybody know of any areas in Johnson County that have flooding issues? Or in the area from Elizabethton towards the NC border?

Old 07-05-2017, 09:51 AM

510 posts, read 1,388,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1000 View Post
That is so good to hear about the water.

Does anybody know of any areas in Johnson County that have flooding issues? Or in the area from Elizabethton towards the NC border?

Mountain City in Johnson County has a municipal supply that is supplied from some large, bold springs at several locations. The water is treated but tastes and smells better than water drawn from the rivers down here in the valley for the larger cities. But, for the most part the rural residents of Johnson County draw from from springs and wells. Dry springs and wells during drought and mineral water taste are issues in some locations.

The worst area for recurring floods during my years of observation has been along the Doe River in Carter County from the Shell Creek and Roan Mountain (the town, not the mountain) valley locations down into Elizabethton where the Doe River meets the Watauga.

In Johnson County there hasn't been much property damage that I recall but recent flooding events have caused folks to be "water-bound" for several hours to a day or two. Some damage to pavement and low water bridges happens. FEMA flood zone maps are fairly good for Carter County. Some FEMA zone mapping has bee added to the Johnson County property maps but not all watersheds have been included and they only seem to show the 500 year zones.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:57 PM

Thank you for the info. Headed to NE TN next week to find a place to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol