Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 10:16 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm in northern Idaho and looking at relocating to the tri-cities area in a year or two for retirement. Housing prices have gone crazy in my area, the area is growing like crazy (lots of California refugees moving in). In spite of the growth-there is a lot I love about N. Idaho, especially the rural nature and access to National Forest. But, costs are rising, and our winters are way to long, especially for an avid motorcyclist such as myself.

I was through your area a couple years ago and liked what I saw. I'm curious about a few things. First, are you seeing the same kind of crazy growth and increase of housing prices? I've been looking a lot on Zillow, seems like prices are up considerably since last year when I was looking-and I don't see that many places available, especially in rural areas. I'm wondering, if we were to buy property and build, how hard is it to find a builder; what does lead time look like? Around here it's nuts-many are booked 1-2 years out. A big concern in my area is water-you can spend a lot of money sinking a well several hundred feet and end up with a dry hole-is that a big issue there? Are septic systems a big issue? Do you need to do a "perc" test or anything else before installing one?

Finally-the "political" situation. As the "Patron State of Shootin' Stuff", I'm guessing you're pretty pro-gun rights-but don't want to assume anything. Is the area gun friendly, and are carry permits easy to get? I don't see Tennessee listed as a "constitutional carry" state, which is a little disappointing-is that something in the works?

How are racial relations in the area? To be clear, I have no issue with black people or tolerance for the handful of actual "white supremacists" that may exist anywhere. But I don't want to deal with BLM or Antifa-type idiots rioting, burning businesses or looting, as so much of the country has had to deal with. I have no reason to suspect that's in issue there, but simply want to be sure.

And finally-what's the motorcycling scene like in the area? You have the Tail of the Dragon and The Snake (which I rode a couple years ago), some of the best-known motorcycle routes in the country. Are there many motorcycle organizations around? I'm a member of the Eagles, and was recently involved in starting an Eagle Riders chapter as part of our Aerie-anyone know if the "lodge" in Kingsport has one? What's the situation like concerning backcountry/dirt road riding? Is there much public/National Forest land around?

And last but not least-how long does harsh winter weather last? Here, my driveway often ices over by Thanksgiving and doesn't thaw until March. From what I've read of your area, it seems as if snow isn't uncommon, but even in mid-winter it doesn't appear to last long. Is that a pretty accurate...assessment?

Sorry about such a long-winded post, covering so many different topics. Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 08:19 AM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
I don't think you'd believe anything I told you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Facts have no power here-we're dealing with liberals.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:09 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
Wades into the den .....

Well, housing and builders...are growing like weeds. Mostly "development" housing which in many cases are rentals. There is so much of that going on that some builders have gotten away from doing custom homes. Yes, there are still plenty of them going up, but it is slow going. Labor is tight. Getting materials is also difficult. I don't think prices have skyrocketed yet, but they are still "firm".

Water is readily available, but it is costly compared to many areas of the country. Perk is a local issue, but certainly you would want to know, wouldn't you?

Damned guns are everywhere here. There is nothing more frightening than seeing someone in a restaurant with a pistol strapped to their thigh. Creepy to say the least. I think we allow them just about anywhere except schools, and that is probably in the works.

There are people here with a progressive attitude so yes, we advocate for equal rights for all. Right wingers are advocated for by the many churches so you won't feel uncomfortable if that is your thing. A Couple of years ago the churches brought in people by the busload to protest against a Federal Law allowing for gay marriage. It was quite a spectacle of equal rights...for some. Occasionally we get a right wing group burning or some other nonsense, but it is generally infrequent.

And finally, riding is great. From the Blue Ridge Parkway where bikers come from all over America to ride, to the Southern Dozen, we have some of the greatest riding around. Keep Up. Stay Up. Not so much if you know what that means.

And last but not least, it does snow, but infrequently. Maybe a couple of inches here and there, which usually melts in a day or so except in the most shaded areas. Black ice is nasty on the winding country roads where snow melt freezes overnight, but generally "winter" is a non issue. Spring comes early.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:33 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Hi all, I'm in northern Idaho and looking at relocating to the tri-cities area in a year or two for retirement. Housing prices have gone crazy in my area, the area is growing like crazy (lots of California refugees moving in). In spite of the growth-there is a lot I love about N. Idaho, especially the rural nature and access to National Forest. But, costs are rising, and our winters are way to long, especially for an avid motorcyclist such as myself.

I was through your area a couple years ago and liked what I saw. I'm curious about a few things. First, are you seeing the same kind of crazy growth and increase of housing prices? I've been looking a lot on Zillow, seems like prices are up considerably since last year when I was looking-and I don't see that many places available, especially in rural areas. I'm wondering, if we were to buy property and build, how hard is it to find a builder; what does lead time look like? Around here it's nuts-many are booked 1-2 years out. A big concern in my area is water-you can spend a lot of money sinking a well several hundred feet and end up with a dry hole-is that a big issue there? Are septic systems a big issue? Do you need to do a "perc" test or anything else before installing one?

I wouldn't call it crazy growth. This area has largely been stagnant in natural population growth for years. While there is some out of area interest, this area is isolated and isn't getting the interest that areas around Knoxville or western North Carolina get. There has been a run-up in local property prices - personally, I don't think it's sustainable as incomes aren't growing much and I don't think the out of area interest in sufficient to support the valuations.

Rural properties tend to have spotty internet/cell access, lack city water, and wells can be an issue if there is a severe drought. I would say the builders are busy, a year or two out seems much. I wouldn't say septic issues are worse than anywhere else. No idea about the perc test.

Finally-the "political" situation. As the "Patron State of Shootin' Stuff", I'm guessing you're pretty pro-gun rights-but don't want to assume anything. Is the area gun friendly, and are carry permits easy to get? I don't see Tennessee listed as a "constitutional carry" state, which is a little disappointing-is that something in the works?

This is a pro 2A area. Carry permits are fairly easy to get from what I know. I have no idea if there is a plan to make the gun rights more relaxed.

How are racial relations in the area? To be clear, I have no issue with black people or tolerance for the handful of actual "white supremacists" that may exist anywhere. But I don't want to deal with BLM or Antifa-type idiots rioting, burning businesses or looting, as so much of the country has had to deal with. I have no reason to suspect that's in issue there, but simply want to be sure.

The area is 90%+ white. I don't think race relations are bad, but there is somewhat of an unfamiliarity with people of different cultures, especially outside Johnson City. Confederate flags are a common sight. I don't think there are many true white supremacists. There were a few BLM protests this summer neat ETSU, but it was nonviolent.

And finally-what's the motorcycling scene like in the area? You have the Tail of the Dragon and The Snake (which I rode a couple years ago), some of the best-known motorcycle routes in the country. Are there many motorcycle organizations around? I'm a member of the Eagles, and was recently involved in starting an Eagle Riders chapter as part of our Aerie-anyone know if the "lodge" in Kingsport has one? What's the situation like concerning backcountry/dirt road riding? Is there much public/National Forest land around?

The Cherokee National Forest is going to be your closest national forest, followed by the Jefferson National Forest in Virginia. You can find everything from open highways to more spirited mountain driving.

Kingsport does have an Eagles lodge, but fraternal organizations draw a very old demographic around here.

And last but not least-how long does harsh winter weather last? Here, my driveway often ices over by Thanksgiving and doesn't thaw until March. From what I've read of your area, it seems as if snow isn't uncommon, but even in mid-winter it doesn't appear to last long. Is that a pretty accurate...assessment?

This is largely correct. We might get several larger snow events of 4" or so a year, at most. A lot of times, it's a dusting to a couple inches that is gone in a few days.

We also get some warmer days in the 50s/60s in the winter.

Sorry about such a long-winded post, covering so many different topics. Thanks in advance for any input.
See responses above.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:13 AM

902 posts, read 809,079 times
There's plenty of Californians, New Yorkers and other out of state residents moving here in mass so you wouldn't be gaining anything there. Housing demand is up and supply is low, so to generalize it - you will be paying more and waiting longer to build here, or have to be ready to purchase an existing home at the drop of a dime as properties here can last just hours on the market. In other words, it's no different from where you're coming from.

There's been quite a few here on the forum lately talking about moving here and "instilling common sense" and other negative remarks about the people here (like being uneducated and such), which in our eyes is typical of those fleeing other areas they've destroyed and now bringing their bad habits here with them. TBH it's very sad to see.

We've found the opposite as the REAL PEOPLE living here in East Tennessee are warm, accepting and willing to give you the shirt off their back - if they think you've earned it. One poster here said it best with (something like) "You'll fit in good here if you're a good fit" which has been spot on and something we've found to be 100% true. The "loud and in your face" types from other areas stand out here like a bullseye and often get the cold shoulder, and are usually much better off over near Nashville and Chattanooga.

TBH people here do seem to have issues with groups like BLM, Antifa and such - but not because of hatred or racism (there's of course the exception) but more of a "keeping the peace" and "live and let live" mentality. People simply want to be able to live their lives here and not be hassled by groups, government or crappy neighbors, and anything that goes against that is ... well, unwanted.

We've had zero issues with guns ourselves here - concealed or open carry and see it often and without question (we carry ourselves). It's been a way of life here for generations and one that we appreciate, as is religion and church being deeply rooted into the communities here too.

The winters here are short with some snowfall, anywhere from 10 to 20+ inches or so depending on the year. Was 65 degrees out just two days ago and today it's 30 and snowing. The twisting mountain roads, Blue Ridge Parkway and I-26 into North Carolina are a motorcyclists and car lovers dream, especially with the roads here in ETN. Most are wide open, uncrowded (mostly) and beautiful and scenic. We're always amazed at the natural beauty while driving around no matter where we go, and although we don't ride we do have plans for a couple of classic cruisers sometime in the near future so we can enjoy the roads here to their fullest.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 01-28-2021 at 09:33 AM..

Old 01-28-2021, 09:46 AM

An example of "You'll fit in good here if you're a good fit" ...

Have a friend we've made through social circles who owns a 55 acre farm in Chuckey, TN, which is a 25 min drive or so from where we're at in Erwin.

His family goes back generations here and they have a new "loud mouth" neighbor from New York who is a real pain in the a** according to him, and they've exchanged words and don't even speak to each other now.

He's getting older and has been considering selling off 20 to 30 acres of the farm "to the right person" but wants to avoid another neighbor like they already have. Said they would love to have us as neighbors (which we've considered) and won't put the property on the market to avoid what they already have. Said that having good neighbors trumps price and the sale of their property any day of the week.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 01-28-2021 at 09:54 AM..

Old 01-29-2021, 05:32 PM

143 posts, read 220,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
There's been quite a few here on the forum lately talking about moving here and "instilling common sense" and other negative remarks about the people here (like being uneducated and such), which in our eyes is typical of those fleeing other areas they've destroyed and now bringing their bad habits here with them. TBH it's very sad to see.
I moved here from Texas, knowing that I was not about to change the culture (actually, some of my ancestors are from this area).

What I can't figure out is why these people who destroyed their original location choose to come here to destroy this location. Are they that ignorant or just running on arrogance?

Old 01-30-2021, 04:07 AM

7,385 posts, read 3,539,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzytx View Post
I moved here from Texas, knowing that I was not about to change the culture (actually, some of my ancestors are from this area).

What I can't figure out is why these people who destroyed their original location choose to come here to destroy this location. Are they that ignorant or just running on arrogance?
I'm from the north and own a house in ETN. Don't worry, we aren't all buffoons. Just want to blend in and keep it red. Actually, our NYC accents give us dead away. It sucks. We try not to talk too much like when at a store I typically will just say greetings and head nods so I don't give my terrible secret away that I am from a backwards place and could potentially destroy everything they know and love.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzytx View Post

Not really sure, but we’ve always tried to blend in by being good neighbors and living low key in areas that we could enjoy new experiences at. The “wanting everything you had from where you came from” crowd is very odd to us.

We grew up eating blue crabs from the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. When we want them we simply have them delivered overnight to us here in TN, or plan a trip back and have some while there. No big deal.

For us, one of the joys of living here in TN is seeing it stay the way it’s always been. Never came here wanting to see subdivisions, shopping centers and restaurants being built. There’s enough here to fit our needs and the people here are awesome. Nothing else is needed.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
I'm from the north and own a house in ETN. Don't worry, we aren't all buffoons. Just want to blend in and keep it red. Actually, our NYC accents give us dead away. It sucks. We try not to talk too much like when at a store I typically will just say greetings and head nods so I don't give my terrible secret away that I am from a backwards place and could potentially destroy everything they know and love.
Think actions speak louder than words here as accents are looked past if you’re a generally laid back, good hearted person. We have family that wouldn’t last a week living here (fast talking, high strung types) and some that you would think went back generations here.

My side of the family comes from the area (4-5 hours north in West Virginia) and goes back generations there. Family still owns a 900 acre farm in the mountains near Parkersburg with lots of cousins, aunts and uncles and such in the vicinity still. It’s why we appreciate the way of life here in TN and would hate to see it go away.

If it did, we’d have no issues living in West Virginia either as it’s a beautiful state with tons to do outdoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol