Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:59 AM

67 posts, read 247,016 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody. My husband and I are renovating a house and would like to find out if there are any good places to find salvage building materials. We have already found some things at the Habitat for Humanity restore (2 old fashioned 1930's style bathroom sinks for $7 a piece and a white, cast iron kitchen sink for $35). We are looking for things like fence posts, doors, etc.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 07:36 AM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
The only one I know of is Big John's on East Elk in Elizabethton.

Happy hunting!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:29 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
There is Yankee Salvage on 11E in Jonesborough if you are heading to Greeneville, before you get to the Hwy 75 split.
They have great doors and such. I have gotten several things there. But please tell me where I can find the local habitat for humanity store?

Old 03-04-2008, 02:23 PM

Thanks for your responses, Jabogitlu and MBmouse. I will check those places out.

Mbmouse, the HFH restore is in Kingsport. 301 E. Sullivan Street. Here is their website which lists the hours:
External Link -- Habitat for Humanity, Int'l

It seems to be a hit or miss. The front part of the store is a thrift store. In the back of the store they keep the building materials. When I went there they had a bunch of doors and sinks in the corner. It's not a very large room so they can only hold so much.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:35 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline4 View Post
Thanks for your responses, Jabogitlu and MBmouse. I will check those places out.

Mbmouse, the HFH restore is in Kingsport. 301 E. Sullivan Street. Here is their website which lists the hours:
External Link -- Habitat for Humanity, Int'l

It seems to be a hit or miss. The front part of the store is a thrift store. In the back of the store they keep the building materials. When I went there they had a bunch of doors and sinks in the corner. It's not a very large room so they can only hold so much.
OHHH!!! You mean the one I drive by at least a few times a week and never noticed???? Duh, I am such a dufus some times LOL!.
Thanks

Old 03-05-2008, 10:03 AM

You are welcome!

Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 20,987 times
AWESOME, thanks for the info. I've searched hi and low for home Salvage, old wood doors, knobs, windows, etc. I love to create Trash to Trashure item by recreating old things and giving them a new purpose. Thank you, your info by far has been to most informative and helpful. Bless you.[mod] advertising not allowed [/mod]

Last edited by mbmouse; 10-20-2009 at 04:22 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 09:29 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times
Mouse, There's also a Habitat for Humanity in Greeneville (near the Brick Oven) but not sure how good it is.. The very best one we found was in Davidson, NC... Tons of great bldg items, really quality furniture, etc. We bought a beautiful insulated (exterior) French door (with divided lights) in a frame there for $95! A year ago we'd bought a similiar door at lowes for well over $400. But it *is* a long way to go to save money. We just happened to be there visiting my mom.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:16 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned info I have found another resourse. It's the heritage alliance warehouse in Jonesbourough. They are having another sale at the end of the month and all the proceeds go to restoration. You can find old doors, tin, doorknobs, etc. But you have to get there early. You can even call up Justin, the man who runs the warehouse, to set up an appointment. The last time we were there, I picked up some beautiful old molding for $10! Here is the website:

Warehouse | The Heritage Alliance

And there is also a quirky hole in the wall junk store in the main drag in Unicoi. It's called Crackerbee's general store. There is an older lady who runs the place and she is lovely. I found a bunch of old doorknobs there and some odds and ends (like the old electric button wall switches) and it was dirt cheap. My husband and I drove past there one day and I got out to look around. Turns out that right at that moment she was going to close up and go home. Well, she kept the place open for us and we chatted for awhile. It is a very friendly place.

Last edited by mbmouse; 10-20-2009 at 04:24 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 06:01 PM

295 posts, read 750,156 times
Default Doeville on 67

Every time I cruise to Mountain City on 67 [the road off of 321] after I get out past Butler I drive through a little crossroads called Doeville. There's a big cinder block building along the road that is practically buried in windows and doors stacked all around the building. They look like they're new, maybe seconds or blemished or something. I always say I'm going to stop in and check it out but I never make the time. If I had a building project going on and needed windows I would definitely have to check that place out. Don't know what's inside if they have other stuff.
Don't know how far you are willing to travel for a deal but I've heard great things about this place too:

Knox Rail Salvage | Knoxville Tennesee | Knoxville Home Improvement | Knoxville Discount Prices | Knoxville Salvage | Knoxville Seconds | Knoxville Ceramic Tile | Knoxville Distressed Merchanidse | Knoxville B Grade | Knoxville Hardwood | Knoxville S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol