Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2023, 03:35 PM

265 posts, read 509,252 times

Advertisements

I notice the property taxes are much lower then ours here in Md. Mine this year for a rancher with a small lot cost almost $4,000. They just raised our taxes last July a lot.

So, what property taxes do you pay in Greeneville. I couldn't find the breakdown.

Do you pay for water distribution is you have public water?
Do you pay a sewer few?
Rain Tax?

I did find when you turn 65 they don't charge you property taxes anymore. That is nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 07:00 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Here is the current tax rate.

https://www.greenevilletn.gov/apps/p...nty%20Property

Each city works a little differently, but expect to pay around 1% of the market value of the house annually. That might be a little less true now depending on when the property was reassessed. If the property hasn’t been reassessed over the last few years, you might get some sticker shock when it is.

Old 09-20-2023, 06:00 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
This might help with some of your other questions (never heard of a rain tax)

https://gwctn.org/rates/
https://www.greenevilletn.gov/apps/p...REC_ID=1410809

While digging around I noticed a mention of fire subscription rates, so that might be something to check on if there is a possibility of living beyond city limits.
The real estate agent might also be a potential source of info for some of these types of questions?

Old 09-20-2023, 07:36 AM

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that city property taxes often pay for discounted services like trash pickup or sewer.

I live in the city of Bristol. My city taxes are about $400/yr., but my trash pickup is $9/month. My combined water/sewer/tax bill is about $50/month - my relatives who live in the unincorporated county pay far, far more for water and trash, more than my annual city taxes are.

I don't think city trash has ever missed. My parents have Waste Management, and they're often late if it snows.

Old 09-21-2023, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Also, another thing to keep in mind is that city property taxes often pay for discounted services like trash pickup or sewer.

I live in the city of Bristol. My city taxes are about $400/yr., but my trash pickup is $9/month. My combined water/sewer/tax bill is about $50/month - my relatives who live in the unincorporated county pay far, far more for water and trash, more than my annual city taxes are.

I don't think city trash has ever missed. My parents have Waste Management, and they're often late if it snows.
We be living outside of town in Greeneville. We read that you have to pay for trash/recycling in Greeneville. They don't provide that service.

That is still cheaper.

Old 09-25-2023, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
We be living outside of town in Greeneville. We read that you have to pay for trash/recycling in Greeneville. They don't provide that service.

That is still cheaper.
You generally do have to pay for the water/sewer/trash type services, but it's often much cheaper than what you'd get from Waste Management and then paying county rates for city water and other services.

I think my parents pay about $70/month for weekly Waste Management pickup. Their water bill is much higher. They're on septic, but one septic pump out would cover my sewer fees for several years. My grandmother pays about $50/month for Johnson City water in unincorporated Washington County. I take long showers, do more laundry, etc., she's probably not even using half of what I do.

Realtors always market "low county property taxes" without mentioning the fact that all the utilities and services are much more expensive, maybe to the tune of city taxes altogether.

"City" in Greeneville isn't going to have nearly the same compact, crowded feel of most places around the bigger Maryland metros. I've been through western MD some - that's about the level of spacing it is.

I would expect to pay $4,000 annual taxes on a $400,000 house. Also, keep in mind that if internet service is needed, definitely find out the ISP for the general area you are looking in and plug the street address of a property you're interested in into their service coverage map. I've seen a ton of issues where people have looked into properties, thinking internet service would be available because it wasn't very rural, then it was not.

Old 09-25-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You generally do have to pay for the water/sewer/trash type services, but it's often much cheaper than what you'd get from Waste Management and then paying county rates for city water and other services.

I think my parents pay about $70/month for weekly Waste Management pickup. Their water bill is much higher. They're on septic, but one septic pump out would cover my sewer fees for several years. My grandmother pays about $50/month for Johnson City water in unincorporated Washington County. I take long showers, do more laundry, etc., she's probably not even using half of what I do.

Realtors always market "low county property taxes" without mentioning the fact that all the utilities and services are much more expensive, maybe to the tune of city taxes altogether.

Water we hope to have city water.

"City" in Greeneville isn't going to have nearly the same compact, crowded feel of most places around the bigger Maryland metros. I've been through western MD some - that's about the level of spacing it is.

I would expect to pay $4,000 annual taxes on a $400,000 house. Also, keep in mind that if internet service is needed, definitely find out the ISP for the general area you are looking in and plug the street address of a property you're interested in into their service coverage map. I've seen a ton of issues where people have looked into properties, thinking internet service would be available because it wasn't very rural, then it was not.
Thanks for the info.

Our electric monthly bill, our BGE electric company raised electric and gas up to $5.00 more. It seems that all these services are charging more durning this bad economic time.

Our electric monthly bill is around $315.00 when the weather is cooler and the A/C not on all the time.
During our cold winters it's is over $400 even with the temp set for 61 degrees in the home. We get several weeks where the temps are in the 20s for highs and this runs the heat more. Wind Chills near 0.
The summer it's in the $350 range and we get lott of days in the 90s near 100. It can be that hot for weeks and the A/C is running all the time.
Our trash/recycling we pay through our property taxes so not sure what it would be. Some houses we saw online in the $400,000 property taxes where still low.
Yes, internet. Have to check this. Our Air B&B we stayed at in Greeneville, not to close to town was so fast. We saw that they had Comcast. We have Comcast here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol