Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:26 PM

128 posts, read 335,431 times

Advertisements

Perhaps if this goes through, traffic count on that road will drop....but still... i agree with everyone's comments that it's just a way for them to make some easy money...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 02:48 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
If BC did get that much it'd be okay, I guess. Not GREAT, but I could live with it. But the company that operates the cameras probably gets around 75-80%.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:24 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
I heard that it is 70-80% for the company. A co-worker got a warning ticket and it was mailed to her from Arizona!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:54 PM

290 posts, read 1,054,137 times
We have a limited access highway in Nashville named Briley Parkway. Years ago, the police set up a device on the shoulder which measured your speed and displayed it. However, the thing was catching speeders and making snapshots license tags of offending cars.
A woman driving down Briley was caught doing 70 in a 55. She did not know it was a speed camera. She only thought it displayed her speed. She went to the next exit, crossed over Briley, traveled past the speed camera on the opposite side, got off at the next exit, again crossed over and back on Briley heading towards the speed camera. She wanted to see how fast her car would go. This time she was ticketed for doing 90 or 95 in a 55. Imagine her shocked when she got two tickets in the mail.
Nashville is the 4th biggest speed trap in the country. We have a police chief who is big on catching speeders. However, Nashville no longer uses the speed cameras and there is no talk of using red light cameras here.
We have people on the Nashville board worried they were caught on red light cameras in Nashville, as they saw the cameras beside the traffic lights. These are cameras, but only for the traffic light's computer, so it knows when to switch a certain lane or lanes green when traffic is stopped in them.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:16 PM

128 posts, read 335,431 times
When I lived in Maryland they had cameras on the lights but they only were to catch people making right turns on red lights in areas that were illegal...and i think perhaps also to catch red light runners on a few roads, i'm not entirely sure -- none of my friends ever got tickets by running through yellow lights, is all i know.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:44 AM

56 posts, read 48,033 times
Sorry for the nerco post....

I understand that the state has prevented the traffic camera contracts from being renewed and that these cameras should be removed in Jan 2020. However, I want to vent

I just got one of these tickets. It was my first time ever driving on that road. I had out of state tags. I normally drive the speed limit, often a little less than. I haven't had a ticket or traffic infraction in 26 years. I do not feel that they are trying very hard to slow people down. If they were, I would have been aware of the speed change and lowered mine. It was around midnight and as far as I could tell, I was driving down a four lane highway in the middle of nowhere and got a flash, which totally freaked me out and was unexpected. I mean, it's right after you pass an interstate-like exit ramp. They could do more to slow people down, proactively.

It would be interesting to know which direction yields more tickets, E or W. I'm guessing it's people coming from Bristol. I also wonder how many of the tickets were generated by out of state/county tags on vehicles driving through the area for the first time.

If they are truly concerned about safety, here are some solutions that I purpose.
- Install stop lights to allow cross traffic to enter intersections more easily.
- Put up flashing "your speed" signs to alert drivers of their speed and the limit.
- Narrow the lanes. Either remove the median or drop it down to 2 lanes well ahead of the "dangerous" area.
- Rumble strips and high visibility signage.
- Install street lights along the road to indicate that the area is developed and populated, especially at intersections.

The mayor should be doing things that create a safer environment and protects the inhabitants. Instead, they allow the unsafe situation to remain and decide to profit off of it.

Old 10-26-2019, 06:16 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
Remember when red light cams were first installed in Kingsport? The agreement with the company that installed the red light cams called for that company, (cannot remember the name), would get the revenue for five years and after that the cameras and system transferred ownership to Kingsport. The first year one light at Eastman and Stone Dr brought in about $850,000.

I posted on CD about that time because with the introduction of these cameras local sales revenue went down forcing some business owners to close. It is easy to understand that the local population cannot afford to pay out nearly a million dollars in traffic fines and still support the local retail market.
Secondly, the city argued that T bone accidents had declined, but they failed to mention that rear end accidents increased.

I realize the OP was referring to speed cameras but the negative effects of traffic cams are the same as speed cams.

I am not arguing for breaking traffic laws, but I would much rather see a live policeman on the street who lives in the area, paying taxes and local living costs, than a robotic money grabber.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:14 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I got a ticket on 11-E several years back on a right turn. They're overly strict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol