Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 17,840 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a college student, and a job opportunity has presented itself in Kingsport. However, I grew up in the suburbs of a major city (population ~400,000). I've been scouring the internet to learn more about the area, but so far I haven't been able to get a good grasp of it.

I enjoy the city, but I also like outdoor activities (camping, hiking, fishing, mountain biking). It seems as though the Tri-Cities area is a great place to experience the outdoors, but what about general aspects of a city (i.e. retail stores, restaurants, bars, etc)? What kind of social climate does Kingsport/Johnson City/Bristol offer for recent college graduates?

What types of businesses dominate in the Tri-Cities? Is there a big manufacturing base? What keeps the economy going down there?

Thanks for the help. I'd like to learn as much as I can about this opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 12:36 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,912 times
What types of businesses dominate in the Tri-Cities? Health care services and medical products dominate, EASTMAN anchors the corporate and manufacturing side, there are about 4 small colleges and a large university (ETSU) in the area. Agriculture also has a very strong presence. The Bristol Motor Speedway is our lone national recognized professional sports venue.

Is there a big manufacturing base? Reasonable - AO Smith has a large market share and makes all of Lowes water heaters. AFG is a major glass maker. EASTMAN has it's corporate headquarters in Kingsport, and it manufactures hundreds of products. There's a leading manufacturer of ball bearings in Johnson City. A paper plant in Kingsport contributes an "organic" smell. King Pharmaceuticals has its HQ and manufacturing in Bristol, TN. There are also a couple industrial parks with a variety of manufacturing, like helicopters for instance. NFS (located south of Johnson City) is a leader in reprocessing spent nuclear fuel.

What keeps the economy going down there? I would guess that a couple factors are that the population is growing because this is a desirable area to live in, and we are connected to major business hubs via I81 and I26.

We seem to have all the conveniences (shopping and restaurants) of a big city but not as many of the perks. In summary, we have Olive Gardens but not PF Changs. There's not really a "posh" bar scene, monthly big name entertainment, or any professional sports teams. I also predict the area will be more conservative and less ethnically diverse than you're used to. But outdoor activities are certainly available year round.

If you could be more specific with your wants and needs we can cater our suggestions to be more useful to you. And congrats on the job opportunity.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:57 PM

6 posts, read 17,840 times
From a business standpoint, I think it's important that the local industry is growing. I'd be taking on a sales role, so I feel that there needs to be potential for expansion and growth in the area. Have any of the local plants been shut down in recent years? Are there any plans for new manufacturing plants or large facilities in the community (hospitals, libraries, etc)?

Also, my girlfriend is a mechanical engineer. Would there be job opportunities for her?

As for personal life, what do people in their 20's do on the weekends? Back home I was involved in local cycling clubs, pick-up soccer, and shooting sports (shotgun, rifle, and pistol).

Old 11-05-2009, 01:35 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
Mechanical engineer, ehhh, maybe. Too bad she's not a chemical engineer. I'll let someone more familiar with that answer that question better.

There is expansion in the area, but it's not the kind of growth you're seeing in Phoenix, or even Nashville for that matter. Johnson City has added around 7,000 people since 2000 and the entire CSA ("Tri-Cities") has added around 20,000 since 2000.

As rccrain said, medical is one of the biggest industries here. A rather large new hospital was just finished in Kingsport off Stone Drive, and MSHA (one of the two major hospital systems in NETN) is building Franklin Woods hospital (a LEED-certified facility btw!) in North Johnson City.

The area (JC/ETSU) is home to one of the state's few colleges of medicine, a college of public health and a new college of pharmacy so there's quite a bit of medical research and support driving growth.

People in their twenties on the weekends... that's the toughest part. There's a big hole in this area for quality entertainment / venues for twentysomethings. I mean, we have lots of offerings - for instance on the weekend I might catch a show at the Blue Moon Dinner Theater, meet some friends at Tipton Street Pub or see what the Johnson City Symphony's doing. However I don't think that many of your "average" urban-minded twentysomething professionals are going to be all that excited about seeing a play or a symphony. If you're into folk or acoustic or bluegrass/jam band scene, check out downhome.com.

Where this area really outshines nearly all other regions (at least in the east) is its spectacular nature surrounds. Not sure if you've ever been here, but the Southern Appalachians are breathtaking and there are boundless offerings - whitewater rafting in Erwin, camping in the national parks, taking a big hike up in Roan Mtn (google Jane Bald or the Roan Highlands), etc.

Also a big plus for the area is that we're (well, Johnson City is) about an hour away from Asheville. There's always tons of stuff happening there and I'm there a weekend or two every month to catch a show (google the Orange Peel) or at least wander through the interesting downtown.

As far as retail, we're pretty much on par with the rest of the country except the large metros. You're not going to find Crate and Barrel here, but each of the three main cities has Target, Belk, JCPenney, etc. Johnson City also has all the mall staples like Bath & Body Works, Victorias Secret, Forever 21, Abercrombie, etc.

Social climate - are you progressive? The scene is small but endearing. You really have to LOOK to get involved, but it's out there. Examples - Tennessee Equality Project, State of Franklin Film Society. There's also a social group for young professionals (I think it's based in Kingsport), but I forget its name. Mouse, can you help me out here?

Bar scene - there's a recent thread about this. For your age you'd want to stick to Tipton Street, Halo or Capone's or maybe Newman's (billiards). There's one very important thing about this area though - no one is fancy. Doesn't matter how intelligent, cultured or sophisticated you are, we just don't have "swanky bars" or nightclubs haha. The closest thing I can think of is that Chrome (club) has one policy - guys have to have collars. I've seen lots of boys in plaid in there.

I really think you need to come for a visit, if possible. While you're here, check out Kingsport, Johnson City and if you have time, going to Asheville for an evening would be excellent.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:44 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,912 times
Local industry is holding its own right now. We lost hundreds of really good jobs with the Exide Battery layoffs. There was also another small plant that recently closed.

However ETSU is expanding its economic outreach, King College is building a $100 million medical school (part in Kingsport, part in Bristol), Franklin Woods Hospital will be opening soon in Johnson City, Kingsport is vigorously revitalizing its downtown, and there is a new ethanol plant opening in Bristol.

I wouldn't say that our local economy is exploding, but it is hanging in there in this tough national economy, and we are poised for a reasonable amount of growth for the future.

As a 20 something, my free weekends consist of movies, shopping, eating out, pick-up basketball, lake activities in the summer, north carolina skiing in the winter, an occasional hike / scenery trip, or visiting friends and family. Then there's always day trips to Asheville and Knoxville if I feel like something more "up scale"; both are within two hours.

I would imagine that your specific interests are accommodated in the area, although I cannot personally confirm. Kingsport and Bristol have YMCAs that might provide avenues to these activities.

Additionally your girlfriend will probably find something, but her wages might take a significant hit depending on where you are coming from.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:09 PM

140 posts, read 358,008 times
I am interested in relocating in the Tri-Cities, so I can't give the educated input you have received from the previous posters. But I have a tip. There is a local arts and entertainment weekly, "The Loafer", that has a web presence and you can download the latest edition. I found it useful to see what's out there for live music, bars, social groups and the like. Lots of ads, but I like them for this purpose.

Welcome To The Loafer OnLine! (http://www.theloaferonline.com/Pages/mainfr.html - broken link)

Old 11-05-2009, 02:12 PM

The Loafer's a great mag, very true. I just wish someone would redesign their website for them.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:22 PM

140 posts, read 358,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
The Loafer's a great mag, very true. I just wish someone would redesign their website for them.
Are you volunteering, jab??

Old 11-05-2009, 03:27 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,315,676 times
Mechanical engineer jobs are slim to non and there are several locals (hubby included) who have a very hard time finding adequate employment in that field unless you can obtain the ever elusive PE status.
As for everything else you have mentioned, I believe the Kingsport area would fit you needs well.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:07 PM

Speaking of, JohnsonCityPress.com - Local News - Johnson City, TN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol