Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:45 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
75% is nearly twice nearby Fulton's rate and is good for an inner-city area.
Fulton isn't in West Knoxville.

My point was that I find it hard to believe that West Knoxvillians are compelled to argue or make excuses when you point out Austin-East's graduation rate.

For one thing, 75% is still shameful, inner-city or not. This is high school we're talking about.

Then there is the fact that West Knoxville's two public high schools have graduation rates that are much higher.

I have a strong suspicion that your "conversations" with West Knoxvillians never occurred and that you've created a straw man to perpetuate the image of West Knoxville as being snobby and elitist. Most West Knoxvillians I know would be thrilled if Austin East (or Fulton or any other Knoxville school) had a graduation rate of 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 03:47 PM

82 posts, read 200,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Fulton isn't in West Knoxville.

My point was that I find it hard to believe that West Knoxvillians are compelled to argue or make excuses when you point out Austin-East's graduation rate.

For one thing, 75% is still shameful, inner-city or not. This is high school we're talking about.

Then there is the fact that West Knoxville's two public high schools have graduation rates that are much higher.

I have a strong suspicion that your "conversations" with West Knoxvillians never occurred and that you've created a straw man to perpetuate the image of West Knoxville as being snobby and elitist. Most West Knoxvillians I know would be thrilled if Austin East (or Fulton or any other Knoxville school) had a graduation rate of 100%.
If you think 75% is shameful (which from a certain perspective maybe it is), then take into account that the national hs graduation rate is 68.6%, and Tennessee's is 66.9%. Austin East has done quite well to achieve well above the average graduation rate, particularly considering it serves a low-income, high crime, primarily minority community. Now, is US public education "shameful" on the whole? That's up for debate, but you really can't call AE "shameful" unless you make that assumption. Which is sort of valid, because US public education has serious problems.

In any case it's certainly not a school to single out, especially given its demographics. I don't know what kind background you have personally, but I've seen both sides of the coin having grown up in a middle class suburban family and then having spent a lot of time in the sketchier part of Mechanicsville (most of M-ville is zoned for Fulton) when I got older. And you would be hard-pressed to say kids born into an environment like that have the same opportunities to advance their education given all the other stressors in their lives. It's definitely eye opening to see in person. ::backs off the soapbox::

Also, there are 5 public high schools in West Knoxville: West, Bearden, Farragut, Karns, and Hardin Valley. I am a Bearden graduate myself. When people refer to West Knoxville they seem to be talking about southwest Knox County.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,608 times
Exclamation I wouldn't recommend Knoxville, TN for african - americans

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
I'm curiouse, are there any specific areas (communities) or cities around Knoxville that are more then 15% black?
I lived here for 32 years. Honestly, I wouldn't considered Knoxville, TN at all for diversity and cultural reasons. Look at the places that are actually rated for blacks such as:
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Washington, DC
  • Dallas, TX
  • Nashville, TN
  • Houston, TX
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Memphis, TN
  • Columbus, OH
  • Baltimore, MD
10 Best Cities for African Americans to live, work, and play

Affluent African American Communities

Black Suburbs In Atlanta - Atlanta Suburbs Bloom for Blacks - Los Angeles Times

Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Although Knoxville is less black than its other Tennessee counterparts, it doesn't mean there is no diversity to be found.

This isn't 1960 in the South. Most blacks that move to the suburbs won't run into major problems. Sure, there will always be those who are prejudiced, but that goes for any race, religion, economic group, or other ethnic group.

Btw: parental involvement has much more to do with student success than race or location.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:54 AM

7 posts, read 10,238 times
I have seen this post several times while scrolling for posts I find very interesting and worth a good read, and frankly I thought I was stuck in some sort of odd time machine, did I wake from a nap and land in the 60's? I am shocked by some of the responces, but moreover shocked and sikened that this post is allowed to be here. I mean no disrespect when I write this post, and I understand that posts can't simply be thrown out because that is considered censorship, but at what line does this become illegal? on grounds of racism/discrimination? We are all part of a race, the HUMAN race.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susiecats View Post
I have seen this post several times while scrolling for posts I find very interesting and worth a good read, and frankly I thought I was stuck in some sort of odd time machine, did I wake from a nap and land in the 60's? I am shocked by some of the responces, but moreover shocked and sikened that this post is allowed to be here. I mean no disrespect when I write this post, and I understand that posts can't simply be thrown out because that is considered censorship, but at what line does this become illegal? on grounds of racism/discrimination? We are all part of a race, the HUMAN race.
First of all, it's not illegal. This forum is owned by a private party that creates all rules and is the final word. Having said that, I've been on this forum for years and I can attest that the owner, the administrators and the moderators are very sensitive to any prejudice of any kind. I am highly sensitive to the matter and any issues have always been positively addressed.

Further, I am not entirely sure what you find offensive. At first blush, I did take issue with the original question. However, I think it was asked in the spirit of "Is there enough diversity in the area" and not the opposite. If I read the incorrectly I will feel very badly.

Do I agree with everything that was written in this thread? No, and I stated so. In fact, it gave me the opportunity to show that graduation rates have nothing to do with race.

However, I would have been the first to complain if I thought someone stepped over the line.

I would dearly love everyone to be part of my world where skin color as important to me as eye color. I truly believe that someday that may happen. In the meantime I think it is important to have an open and honest discussion and I am grateful that City-Data allows us to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville