Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_beth2012 View Post
I think both ways to go about it are excellent. Mainly because we have EVERY intention of renting eventually. We may not look this trip, but just drive through some neighborhoods, hit some local businesses, and ask around. Either way, I really think we're going to love it in Knoxville! My hopes are high
Really? And the chances of renting that individual's home are going to be pretty low if it is going to happen eventually. So in other words, you wasted their time. Wow. That's excellent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 12:37 AM

27 posts, read 56,084 times
Richie and Beth,
Did you get in to Knoxville for your visit? Hope you did. Rossini Festvial was great. Had good weather and great food. Dogwood Arts is still going on. You can go to www.dogwoodarts.com and see the events. I have noticed more homes around Colonial Village and Lake Forest area come on the market. These areas are in South Knoxville. Just 5 miles out of downtown. We love the area and if we want to do things downtown ,it is not far. Also, we are not that far from West Knoxville. I can get from the house to West Town Mall 1 of two ways. The shorter way is under 20 mins. The other is coming in the back door off of I-140 and take Northshore. After you have been her awhile you learn the quick short cuts. I had a friend joke that I needed to write a travel book of short cuts in Knoxville and surrounding areas. I never take the interstate unless I have too.
Hope you come and enjoy what our area has to offer.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason010 View Post
My wife and I are moving to the Knoxville area from Missouri. I just graduated college in May 2010 and will be starting a new career there. We came out to Knoxville for a few days to look at rental homes and check out the area.....

My wife and I kind of devised our own tactic. We found some rental homes on Craigslist and contacted the property owners to schedule viewings. We had no intention on actually renting a home.....We also met some really nice people along the way. We were stunned by how nice people are in the Knoxville area. By the time our three day stay was over we actually found a home that we really liked and put a deposit down on it. We'll be moved in by June 1st. .....
When people from elsewhere wonder what happened to southern hospitality and blame it on us living in the past and re-fighting the civil war, maybe they should look a little more closely at their own attitudes and actions. You were "stunned" because you are not used to how wonderful people here can be as a matter of course. Please don't be another "northerner" I have to explain to my neighbors and friends. People here have a long memory when they feel they have become someone's doormat after showing nothing but good will. If you continue with that kind of thinking once you actually live here you will be like others who have come and gone not understanding why they made no friends and felt shunned. It doesn't have to be that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_beth2012 View Post
I think both ways to go about it are excellent. Mainly because we have EVERY intention of renting eventually. We may not look this trip, but just drive through some neighborhoods, hit some local businesses, and ask around. Either way, I really think we're going to love it in Knoxville! My hopes are high
You may think that using someone that way is excellent but in the long run it will come back to bite you, especially if you want to live here for a long time. I'm glad you have high hopes as the area is beautiful and the people here are truly good people, and living here has been great.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:07 AM

7 posts, read 20,481 times
Hey guys. First off, I hope you know that I would never enlist someone in their services or take time out of their day to go look at a house if we weren't serious about renting it at that time. However, I do not hesitate to call them and ask them if they have any other properties coming available at the time I will be needing them (around June), and if they are available to look at, If we may when we are in town. I'm not going to make an extra trip or cause someone else, especially someone in a business as hard as managing a property, to be inconvenienced by me leading them on. But I do not hesitate to enlist their services as a well informed agent of the Knoxville area and the properties they have available.

Having said that, YES we LOVE Knoxville. We plan on moving as soon as we can! Like I mentioned earlier, around June. We have gotten in contact with a few renters, mainly from craigslist.org and talked with them about not only their properties, but also about the many wonderful things the area has to offer. The great people (and they are great people! we never expected any less!), the parks, greenways, the Volunteers! I hope we are more than able to contribute to the area as good citizens and the good people that we are.

Something I've noticed about this website and others like it, is that people take too many things to heart and the way certain things are said way to personally. They're taken however they're wanted to be interpreted and the person who writes even a simple question is attacked, even if what is written is not what they really meant to say. Being a semi-sensitive person (though I try not to be), I'm slightly hurt by the assumptions that people made by my comments of getting in contact with the hard working business people of Knoxville, though I refuse to take it to heart. This is just an internet forum. And just like texts or emails or anything that isn't personal, assumptions may be made and fingers may be pointed, though they may not be justified.

I really appreciate everyone's help on this website. It was a great contribution to our experience and pointed us in many great directions. An we are both very thankful. See you in Knoxville soon everyone. We look forward to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville