Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:59 PM

62 posts, read 233,061 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm starting a new job in Knoxville on Monday (!) and am in the process of looking at homes to purchase. My realtor recently mentioned that emergency services are through Rural/Metro and that involves an annual fee. I know it probably varies, but what is a typical cost for a $300K home in the west Knoxville area?

Thanks for any information.

Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 12:55 PM

10 posts, read 37,743 times
I'm not sure how rates are determined but I imagine that the house itself and location are important factors. My father is in a rural area on the North side of Knoxville and pays around $295/yr. I am in suburban West Knoxville (with a hydrant at the end the street) in $160K home and we pay around $320/yr. Hope that helps!

Old 05-27-2011, 04:21 PM

469 posts, read 1,174,848 times
Property taxes are about double in the city versus the county because you're taxed by 2 separate entities knox county and knoxville city. In the county you have to pay a yearly fee or they will NOT put a fire out at your home. They will come and beat down the flames in your fee paying neighbor's yard and let you burn out. I imagine those fees make it. Very close to the same total tax amount.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinbama View Post
Property taxes are about double in the city versus the county because you're taxed by 2 separate entities knox county and knoxville city. In the county you have to pay a yearly fee or they will NOT put a fire out at your home. They will come and beat down the flames in your fee paying neighbor's yard and let you burn out. I imagine those fees make it. Very close to the same total tax amount.
And us "city" folk get trash, refuse and bulk pickup and better insurance rates. There is nothing like raking your grass and leaves to the edge of your property, or a bunch of tree or bush trimmings, branches and an old stove, dishwasher, etc. and have the city come by and pick it up. I'm really, really spoiled by this. Of course, it depends on the price of the home. If it is really expensive you might not break even. I love it, though. The convenience is incredible.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:51 AM

21 posts, read 56,211 times
Default They WILL put the fire out

Rural/Metro charges a fee based on the SF of your house, I don't know what it is, but its pennies. Recently a vol. FD in the area was in the news and was going to do the same thing instead of seeking donations. They were charging .07 SF.

I met with a firefighter from R/M last year at an event I was at and he explained to me that if R/M responds, the responding crew(s) have no idea of who has or has not paid their fee. If you have not paid their fee, you still get service. HOWEVER - you will also get a very hefty bill to follow. Depending on the number of units that respond and how they stay on scene, thousands more than if you paid the annual fee.

I cant remember the name, but its a vol FD in the Knox area. If you google vol FD's in Knox area and do a little research, you can probably find the article. I don't live in that area, but I figured that since I have almost 4,000 sf finished and at .07 that is $273 a year.

I am sure that the county outsourced it to save taxpayers money and not have the added hassles of employee and equipment costs which are extremely high.

Hope that helps....

Old 05-29-2011, 10:16 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
My guess is this is the article you are referring to, "retired." It's from the community I use to live in. They are considering 7 cents a square foot. That is probably not what other areas charge. Or maybe it is. I just don't know.

I hate speculation and posts that don't have links. Otherwise, it's simply heresay.

I do want to point out that you were responding to calvinbama and not me. I never made a comment about fire departments putting out a fire or not. He did.

I suspect he made his comments due to the enormous publicity surrounding a town out in northwest Tennessee, where they may have let the mobile home burn to the ground due to not having a subscription. I say "may" because there is a lot of controversy surrounding that situation.

And unfortunately, every time this issue gets brought up it turns into a debate.

The fact is an area may charge more or less and may save your house without the subscription or may not. I do know that if you expect to have a mortgage you will have to have a subscription. No mortgage holder or insurer will touch the house, otherwise.

Heiskell fire service to vote on fee : Knoxville News Sentinel

Old 06-08-2011, 02:05 AM

Answering my original question: about $400 annually for fire protection. Based on sq footage of home...

Old 06-08-2011, 02:09 AM

And my lender and homeowner insurance co were both OK with or without Rural Metro coverage. The homeowners insurance would have cost me about $300 more per year if I chose not to subscribe to Rural Metro, making it more attractive to purchase the coverage.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:53 AM

10 posts, read 37,743 times
rundugrun, thanks for letting us know how that turned out. I agree with you and a previous poster; in my experience and knowledge, R/M will provide service but if you haven't paid the annual fee it will set you back BIG TIME! Also, like you said, you CAN get home insurance in the county without a R/M subscription but your premiums will be considerably higher. Welcome to Knoxville BTW

Old 06-10-2011, 11:03 AM

24 posts, read 45,666 times
that scenario just played ou a few months ago here outside of Jacksonville,FL in a rural area...the homeowner did not pay the fee because he thought it was too much and thought nothing would ever happen to him...guess what? his house caught on fire and the volunteer fire department came out to "monitor the situation" in case the flames made it to his neighbors property who had paid...burned right to the ground while the fire dept. watched
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville