Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,860 times

Advertisements

I got a job in West Knox but got a great deal on a place in South Knox

Is it work the drive everday to work (Map quest : 20 Min)
Traffic?
What is the area like?
Safe?
Activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 01:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Traffic isn't horrendous around here like other places but it still will matter where, exactly, you are living and commuting to. Try mapping it with Google. Some areas of South Knoxville are very nice and others not so much. You are probably going to have to be a bit more specific for us to help you. Do you need good schools?

Old 03-27-2011, 05:12 PM

374 posts, read 945,948 times
I lived in south Knoxville for several years and I loved it. But, I also worked downtown. I surely would plan on more than 20 min to get to work if you're in west Knox, particularly if traveling during typical rush-hour traffic. Accidents are fairly regular on Chapman and Alcoa Hwys and can delay traffic a loooong time.

Mapquesting will be pretty accurate, but be aware that a major bridge in downtown Knoxville is under repair for the next 2+ years. That bridge is a major route to/from south Knoxville so you'll need to factor that in if you would ordinarily use it for your daily commute and/or if it's on the Mapquest route.

Welcome to E TN!

Old 03-27-2011, 06:50 PM

82 posts, read 200,830 times
Although most of South Knoxville is relatively close to West Knoxville geographically, you have to take a circuitous route to get there, either Alcoa Highway to I-40 or up the Gay Street route, as you're separated by a river all the way to Topside Road in Blount County. Depending on where in West Knoxville you're working, this could get annoying, especially given the current construction.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,860 times
I'm a 25/m not looking for schools, Or anything family related. Just a nice gym and an easy way to commute to work.

The area is located down woodview drive

Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromHouston View Post
I'm a 25/m not looking for schools, Or anything family related. Just a nice gym and an easy way to commute to work.

I always tell people that no matter what, schools will matter due to resale value. Having said that, you said you are getting a screaming deal, anyway.

Hmm. I didn't find anything for sale on Woodview Drive. Maybe it's a rental. Anyway, if that's the correct area, it's nice and very quiet. You'd probably take Pellissippi.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:52 AM

394 posts, read 794,807 times
You really need to come and visit and get acquainted with the area and see what fits you. If your job is in west that's where I'd look first. If you're coming from Houston you may find yourself most comfortable in west. Knoxville will certainly be different from Houston (I used to do regular business in Houston).

When we started looking we checked many areas that were recommended here that, although nice, were not our cup of tea (we came from D.C.).

That "screaming deal" may back up to a rail line, be next to "less than desireable" neighbors or have other uncurable defects.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:31 AM

469 posts, read 1,175,536 times
Congrats Houston. I've found that deals around Knoxville that seem to be too good to be true usually aren't. I wouldn't be able to find a house in my small alabama hometown for the price I paid here in Knoxville. For some reason there is a major disconnect between the price of real estate in sprawling auto-centric west knoxville and everywhere else in the city. I would definitely come check the place out before buying though. You can tell if its gonna work out just from the smell when you walk in the door.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:06 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,596,358 times
I'm guessing you mean Woodson drive which is pretty nice, though it's near some roughness on the east end.

Court South is a decent gym and very convenient.

I've done the reverse commute out west from South Knoxville and found the pellisippi parkway pretty nice.

My main concern for you is that left turn onto 129 from woodson. It is a killer - literally. I would go out Maryville pike and enter 129 from John Seveir hwy. it is engineered to be much safer.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:59 AM

82 posts, read 200,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromHouston View Post

Ah, I looked it up and I actually take back what I said. You're right off Topside Drive, and getting to west Knoxville won't be much of a problem at all. In fact it's a pretty good spot because you have good access to amenities in both areas.

When I lived downtown, I worked out at The Rush on Chapman Highway. While it's a little on the bright and colorful side (that's right, I like my gyms dirty, gritty, and poorly lit), it is very nice and you can manage to catch pretty good deals if you hit sign-ups at the right time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville