Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 05:14 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Downtown could use a good grocery store for downtown/inner-city residents and workers.

White Store/White Way department (now Food City) used to have a store on (South?) Gay St. I think that was where Woolworths/Revco/CVS stores later occupied. I don't know if that is where the Regal movie place is now. All I can remember is that it was just a few doors away from S&W Cafeteria.

There used to be a warehouse-like grocery store in a factory building - somewhere near the JFG plant.
Did you know that the S&W has been restored and reopened? Welcome to S&W Grand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 11:30 PM

950 posts, read 3,190,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntim View Post
The White Store was where the Mast General Store is now.
The Regal Riviera is on the site of the old Riviera Theater.
Sorry, I didn't see this and other posts.

Thanks, I remember now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Did you know that the S&W has been restored and reopened? Welcome to S&W Grand!
Yes I have and heard that it was later closed. I would have liked to go check it out.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Sorry, I didn't see this and other posts.

Thanks, I remember now.Yes I have and heard that it was later closed. I would have liked to go check it out.
No, you wouldn't, from what I heard. It was badly run. I heard the food wasn't that good and over-priced.

There was an event just held there. It's been beautifully restored. It will be occupied before you know it and probably with a better product. I'll let you know.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:01 PM

The article regarding the closing.

Downtown's S & W Grand closed 'until further notice' » Knoxville News Sentinel

A comment from a reader, and no, it's not me.

In the last five years, the vehicle and pedestrian traffic has increased to the level that I have never seen in my lifetime. The sidewalks are jammed most evenings and particularly with events and weekends. The dozen or so other restaurants on Gay Street and Market Square do big business, as does the movie theatre and the concert venues. S&W's problems are particular to their management and have NOTHING to do with the vitality of the downtown business scene.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:50 PM

27 posts, read 56,060 times
Just got on and looking around. Found this about White Store was where Mast General is now. Wrong.
White Store was next to it. Where Mast General store was as follows. Starting with the oldest to now. 1. Knox Dry Goods Department Store ( burned in the late 60's) 2. The Boston Store Opening in the Spring of 1972, Closed 1975. Then it sat and Mast came in and took the place.
The reason I Know this . I worked uptown and my parents had Miles Music store. Also,my mother and I both worked for a leased dept in the Boston Store ( then part of Federated)

Old 06-09-2011, 10:54 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
The new Aveda Institute is going into the S&W space.

A new look for the old S&W | Property Scope | knoxnews.com

Old 06-09-2011, 11:47 PM

27 posts, read 56,060 times
It is so bad to see the S&W close. I grew up eating there. My childhood girlfriend's father was GM. We sorta had the run of the place. My husband and I went and had dinner not to long after it reopened. I could close my eyes and do a full tour of the place. The decor was right on. WhatI missed the most was they cut the floor space to put in the new kitchen and bar where the back of the lines were and the enclosed booths and stairs to upstairs. The restrooms were put where the lines were. Strange.
The stairs were right on. After dinner we went upstairs on the balcony and I walked to the end. Hubby waited at the stairs. It didn't bother me . I was filling my menories. I waled back and went to the 3rd floor where the meeing rooms were. The main room was about the same. ( With the bank having been there after the original a few changes had been made. Of course the back steps were gone and a waiters station put in. The far meeting room had been made into offices.
I am glad we went. I hope that Adveda does not alter it too much. The historic value is worth a thousand words.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:08 PM

Wow! This is so exciting! All of those students downtown will just add to the bustling vibe.

This is a really big deal. This Aveda Institute will the first in TN.

And they will be offering services. Leave it to me to find the menu before they've even got in. Douglas J Salon - East Lansing Hair Salon - Spa Salon - Aveda Institute Service Menu (http://www.avedainstitutesdouglasj.com/gs/kxmenu.shtml - broken link)

Old 06-11-2011, 08:00 PM

213 posts, read 550,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PN from TN View Post
Just got on and looking around. Found this about White Store was where Mast General is now. Wrong.
White Store was next to it. Where Mast General store was as follows. Starting with the oldest to now. 1. Knox Dry Goods Department Store ( burned in the late 60's) 2. The Boston Store Opening in the Spring of 1972, Closed 1975. Then it sat and Mast came in and took the place.
The reason I Know this . I worked uptown and my parents had Miles Music store. Also,my mother and I both worked for a leased dept in the Boston Store ( then part of Federated)
No, you are mistaking, the White Store moved into the space after the Boston Store. It was vacant after the White Store moved out until the Mast General Store moved in. I have worked downtown for the past 35 years and practically grew up on Gay Street. I shopped many times at that White Store as well as the Boston Store and the Knox Department Store (or I was with my parents at the Knox). Remember there is a small store front to the south of MGS, and then the old JC Penny next to that. And there has been a hole to the north of MGS ever since the Terminal Building burned down in the early 70’s. So the White Store couldn’t have been next to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: