Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:46 PM

917 posts, read 2,300,631 times

Advertisements

We are an older couple,(62 & 72) currently living in coastal NC. We want to be able to live just on our social security. No more part time jobs if possible. We will have about $2,000 a month to work with. Will only need to worry about rent, utilities, tv and computer service, food, gasoline,and our very reasonable car insurance. No debt. We would want a 1 or 2 bedroom rental.I am pretty liberal,(new-age stuff) He much less so. He's social, I'd rather read. We plan a trip out in April to check things out and would want to be moving around Sept. Is this a fantasy idea,or doable? I'm wondering also if in town would be a better fit, or more rural. We have 2 small dogs so pet friendly is a must. Even though we're old, it would be nice to be able to walk to a bar now and then as well as a bookstore and coffee place. Guess that rules out rural huh? Our youngest child is only 18, so we are quite used to young people. In other words we are not your typical oldsters. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 02:54 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,610,525 times
Sadly Knoxville is lacking in the type of pedestrian friendly shopping/neighborhood combo you envision. Your best bet is Bearden which is a robust string of strip malls - see Kingston pike between Lyons view and Mohican, or happy holler which is more bohemian, on the up and up but still spotty. See Central between Broadway and Oklahoma. It will be interesting to read a report after you have visited.

I predict you'll wind up somewhere more rural or an older neighborhood and come downtown for your entertainment/ shopping.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:14 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,354,554 times
I'm retired and I make less monthly then you, so I think affordability for yall is fine. Each area has its own vibe, go anywhere in Knoxville and there are people to talk with. I would re think the rural part if I were you.
All the best to you,
Pam

Old 01-10-2012, 05:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've been reading a bit about 4th and Gill, is that area too expensive? Would actually prefer an apt. up over a store or in a large older house...A loft would be neat but probably a bit too small and too expensive. It was interesting to see how different the 2 replies were. I'm not sure why though. Was it based on the amount of money we will be working with or what I said our interests were?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:08 AM

I think we were replying from different personal perspectives.

There are very few apartments over stores in knoxville outside the pricey downtown area. Apartments in a victorian in fourth & gill are plentiful. What is your space need and budget? You might find one in Old north Knoville as well.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:57 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,354,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I think we were replying from different personal perspectives.

There are very few apartments over stores in knoxville outside the pricey downtown area. Apartments in a victorian in fourth & gill are plentiful. What is your space need and budget? You might find one in Old north Knoville as well.

I agree with creeksitter, we were replying from different personal perspectives.
I'm going to throw this out there, I'm sure you've considered it already, but in case you haven't........
Why would you want a apartment above a store? You are retiring, you want to haul groceries up stairs? Suppose in the future one of you has health problems that affect your mobility. You'll have to end up moving and deal with mobility/health issues.
4th and Gill is a neat area, my next favorite after Fountain City.From a house purchase standpoint, 4th and Gill has become more affordable in this economy, I cannot attest to rents in that area as I've never lived there. I did have friends that had a small 2 room apartment in a attic space of a victorian in 4th and Gill. To me it was more money monthly then I would have paid and the place was loaded with roaches. I would suggest looking in Fountain City. I moved here in June and have a small cottage that I adore. I feel safe here, my neighbors are wonderful and it is affordable.
I hope this reply was more to your liking. If it wasn't, please be a bit more specific on what details you are looking for.
Pam

Old 01-10-2012, 11:01 AM

I've been thinking of some small commercial areas with a little quainteness - two are in fountain city - hotel ave off broadway and the corner of Jacksboro and Tazewell pikes. Another cute small shopping area is on Walker blvd just E of broadway.

A lot of people like 4th & Gill because of its proximity to downtown and the community spirit. The downtown rents make it look cheap in comparison. Of course the quality of the units will vary but they tend to be more expensive than places further out.

Another wild card worth investigating is Park Place condos on Bertrand. It is a gated community in an old school that does have shopping nearby. Admittedly, (except for the Liberian restaurant) the vibe is more ghetto than funky. You will either hate it or love it. I'd thought about retirement in the area myself because of the walkablility, the O'conner Senior center is a couple blocks away, plus a new YMCA with an indoor swimming pool. But then I don't have a timid bone in my body. The units themselves are wooonderful and loft-like and the neighborhood (Parkridge) is slowly gentrifying.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:45 AM

Lol! Why would I want to be over a store? I certainly see your point, however the quaintness factor is more important to me. As far as space needs are concerned..1 bedroom is all that's necessary and of course liv.rm, kitchen and bath. 2 bedrooms are nice in case one of our 7 children comes to visit, but a pull out couch would do for a few days as well. So I have no idea what that comes to in square footage but probably not too much. We have a 30ft sailboat that we have lived on before so anything seems large by comparison. Hopefully we will be able to sell the boat. I know you have lakes there but it's just too expensive to have boats shipped over land, as well as my being afraid of water. What do you think rents would be in an old victorian? That sounds ideal! I have been looking on craigslist but no mention of those type of places so far. Also... do you have an Arts Center, or places that give pottery lessons etc...? I did that a few years ago and would love to get back into it. You have both been really helpful and I do appreciate it.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 AM

P.S. Where is Fountain City?

Old 01-10-2012, 01:07 PM

394 posts, read 795,656 times
north side of town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville