Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:18 PM

7 posts, read 21,043 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the Knoxville area in a few months and yes I have seen post on each of these cities but I'm curious what is the major difference is between them. We have school age children,does anyone have any thoughts that havent yet to be posted? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 06:51 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaminative View Post
We're moving to the Knoxville area in a few months and yes I have seen post on each of these cities but I'm curious what is the major difference is between them. We have school age children,does anyone have any thoughts that havent yet to be posted? Thanks
Coming from Miami you will probably enjoy Knoxville more than Maryville. Knoxville is very diverse with a lot of transplants. Best of luck on your move.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:41 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,610 times
Quote:
If you remember south miami (Hodgepodge of Red and Sunset and Kendall and Dixie) from about 25-30 years ago, Maryville is a bit like that, but with Miami Dade Kendall (Maryville College) students working at most the shops. The Maryville School district is the best (save maybe OakRidge). The people up here are mostly human, just remember to get rid of your Florida plates ASAP, and only use the left lane for passing!!

Old 10-11-2007, 06:33 PM

7 posts, read 21,043 times
Thank you both,Im still lost..lol..I guess when our house sells I'll just come up there for a weekend and pick out a hosue. If I chose Knoxville what area is better,North,South,East or West? Again thanks
Oh on websites I read Maryville has 12 in of snow a yr yet whne I ask everyone laughs,so whats up with that?

Old 10-13-2007, 01:44 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,681,348 times
We live in the Orlando area and chose M'ville just because we want out of the metro ratrace. I'm not suggesting that K'ville is anything like Miami or O Town. We just didn't want to look forward to having to deal with the not-so pleasantries of metro living. K'ville has more choices in all areas and what we can't get in M'ville we will definitely find in K'ville. After 33 years in O Town, we'd like to escape and really we will be returning to an area that reminds us of home.

Good Luck in finding a house in just one weekend. K'ville has lots to offer.

Quote:
Thank you both,Im still lost..lol..I guess when our house sells I'll just come up there for a weekend and pick out a hosue. If I chose Knoxville what area is better,North,South,East or West? Again thanks
Oh on websites I read Maryville has 12 in of snow a yr yet whne I ask everyone laughs,so whats up with that?

Old 10-13-2007, 02:01 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
People laugh about the snow because it just doesn't snow that much here. That 12-inch average is over the last 30 years, and 30 years ago there were a few years when we had a couple of feet of snow. Nowadays we're lucky if we get 5 inches in a year.

As far as what part of Knoxville to live in, well, much of that depends on what you want. Check the thread about Farragut to see what that area (West Knox) is like. I'm a big fan of Fountain City and started a thread about Fountain City for which you can do a search. East Knox County is rural and lovely with easy access to downtown, U.T., and the Smoky Mountains.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:05 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Wink Couple of great comments, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Coming from Miami you will probably enjoy Knoxville more than Maryville. Knoxville is very diverse with a lot of transplants. Best of luck on your move.
Does that mean, in your estimation SMG, that Maryville is made of more native Tennesseeans? Hubby and I were hoping that is the current mix. We enjoy diversity, but would like to assimilate into E. TN culture in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
If you remember south miami (Hodgepodge of Red and Sunset and Kendall and Dixie) from about 25-30 years ago, Maryville is a bit like that, but with Miami Dade Kendall (Maryville College) students working at most the shops. The Maryville School district is the best (save maybe OakRidge). The people up here are mostly human, just remember to get rid of your Florida plates ASAP, and only use the left lane for passing!!

How about GA plates, TedTAce? I haven't read too much on the forum about this mix. Does a GA transplant seem to fit into the Tennessee culture easier than a FL transplant? In the eyes of Tennessee residents, I mean. I know it is up to the individual moving to E. TN to either join the club or remain on the fringe complaining that they don't fit in.

How do TN folk feel about other southeasterners outside of FL relocating to TN?

Old 10-13-2007, 08:39 PM

Get rid of ALL plates from other states asap; including Georgia. Also, regular TN plates have counties on them; get rid of all non Knox, Blount, Sevier, Loudon plates if relocating here to these listed counties from other counties in TN; especially the western ones. Our entire family has non county identifying plates; we travel the state quite a bit and just feel better not having our county of registration identified.

Gem, don't read too much into what I wrote for your situation. That response was intended for the OP; we are now conversing in PM. Sorry for any confusion.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:37 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
I don't understand why anyone would need to switch plates (especially non-Knoxville MSA county TN ones???? that's bizarre!), except maybe Florida.

I mean, it's not like somebody's going to set your car on fire if your tags say Meigs, Greene or Shelby. UTK has thousands of cars - a few even say Hawai'i! Gasp.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I don't understand why anyone would need to switch plates (especially non-Knoxville MSA county TN ones???? that's bizarre!), except maybe Florida.

I mean, it's not like somebody's going to set your car on fire if your tags say Meigs, Greene or Shelby. UTK has thousands of cars - a few even say Hawai'i! Gasp.
Most campus based kids don't get out and drive around anywhere except I-40 and the Cumberland Ave area and maybe down Kingston Pike to go shopping. I can say no more. Take it for what it's worth. You certainly don't have to change your tags; I am just telling you what we did based on the knowledge that we have; especially as we like to get out in the country and explore here in east Tennessee :-X
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville