Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:25 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times

Advertisements

I get that you'd like to live in a walkable area, but Knoxville doesn't have a lot of charming "walkable" areas like you see in other towns. Bearden/Sutherland is walkable but not particularly cute unless you get to the high dollar zones. You can do a search for walkable discussions here on CD.

And we have our grit, but don't wall it off in a small area like you see elsewhere. Which can be a good thing. Makes it more manageable and you don't have any war zones. I'd look for a neighborhood where the good guys far outnumber the bad guys. But it varies from block to block which makes it hard for an outsider to choose.

Quote:
Unlike 4th and Gill, there is not one ounce of pretense here, which I love.
That's the word I was looking for. It's the pretentiousness I don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 09:54 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoHawkeyes View Post
Well, okay, what about places like Oakwood , Belle Morris, Park City, and Mechanicsville? We're not completely invested in one area yet and can certainly change our minds. It's just on various other postings I see lots of negative things being said, especially about the Northern (excepting F&G, Fountain City, and Old North) and Eastern areas, thus why we crossed them off our list. The prostitutes, homeless shelters and missions are the first mention at all I've heard of them in that area (so thanks for that heads up).

We've lived on a farm for the past three years and prior to that had a house in the country for a couple of years, so it's not even like we're dead set on urban living. We're pretty adaptable to most living situations so long as they hold enough positive upsides for us (and are not in the middle of strip mall hell).
I love JMT's description and obvious love for his neighborhood.

I'm not a fan of Park City and although Mechanicsville is a bit charming it is too close to the worst area of the city, in my opinion. Park City isn't too far behind, either.

And yes, Fourth and Gill has a lot of restored homes - a lot of movers and shakers live there or just people that love the city - there is an enormous homeless problem. Homeowners love their neighborhood and are constantly perplexed that the city seems intent on expanding homeless services. It's really a shame but not a deal killer for a lot of people. I have a 12-year-old and would seriously consider the area. Even with my work near Farragut, I haven't ruled it out. I don't get a pretentious vibe from the area. I guess it depends on your perspective.

But no matter what, I'd take a ride through all of North Knox and check it out, West Knoxville as well to see where it would be a great fit.

As creeksitter said, walkable is mostly for downtown denziens, unfortunately. But you can be like the majority of us and live not far away and visit the downtown core often. Parking is very doable. Fourth and Gill is not really walkable to downtown, surprisingly, because you have to walk through the hordes of homeless that are either hanging out or waiting in a line for services. I guess it depends on your comfort level. If we move down there, I would want my daughter to hop on the bus, rather than walk through that.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:07 AM

24 posts, read 39,874 times
Very helpful guys, thanks. And at the same time it all opens more questions, heh. Doesn't it always? The drive throughs would be a great idea were we able to visit prior to moving but unfortunately that is not an option, thus a lot of the questions.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoHawkeyes View Post
Very helpful guys, thanks. And at the same time it all opens more questions, heh. Doesn't it always? The drive throughs would be a great idea were we able to visit prior to moving but unfortunately that is not an option, thus a lot of the questions.
Okay. Well, let me ask you this. Have you ever lived in a city? Mind you, Knoxville is a small city and it can often feel like a very large town where everyone knows you or knows someone that knows you. But in most of North Knoxville you are going to deal with the issues that a city has. For instance, you'll often use the local grocery store, otherwise known as the Fellini Kroger. It's called that because of all the "characters" that frequent it. Yes, there is a Food City that is further north on Broadway but I find the shoppers to be about the same.

It's funny, other folks' perceptions. I work with a young woman that was born and raised in Knoxville. She considers South Knoxville to be "The Dirty South" and anything on Broadway to be "The Ghetto." So it really comes down to your comfort level and your previous experiences.

So what are you use to? Where have you lived before? You said you lived in Knoxville for a time. Where?

I'm not trying to be nosy but you'll find that people in this area - even transplants like me - tend to be super friendly and helpful!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:49 AM

Right, so we're talking two different worlds in answer to your questions, hik.

My wife has only lived in Iowa so the largest city she lived in was Cedar Rapids when she went to college, which only has 125k people. But she grew up in a town of 10k and spent significant time in Iowa city which is only 36k but feels bigger than that.

Then you have me who has lived in places ranging in size from Chicago, which is something like 6 million, down to places with only a couple of thousand people in them. From the Midwest to New England, to the South I've pretty much lived or spent significant time in most states East of the Mississippi and some of those West as well. So from my perspective I'm comfortable in just about anything. As for K-ville this was back in that mid-80s when I was a teenager and in Farragut out on Fox Den Country Club.

And don't worry, I don't find people who ask questions to be nosy.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:23 PM

Well, you are probably going to be fine anywhere but your wife might be kind of uncomfortable living in North Knoxville. The beauty of Knoxville is you can be 10 to 15 minutes out from the downtown core and in rural territory. I live in Fountain City and it seems pretty suburban, but circa 1950. I'd look for a place somewhere in West Knoxville just to be on the safe side. After a year, maybe you can be more adventurous.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:35 PM

Okay, west is the option outside of the city we were considering. Where should we stay away from? Are there any areas on that side of town that are a single busride from downtown? And what about strip mall/suburbia hell? What areas do you avoid to stay away from that plague on the landscape?

Old 06-01-2012, 02:10 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
The Fort really isn't a bad area......for a college student.

That said, I don't think I would raise a child there.

I do know of a family that was raising young children (around the Highland/James Agee area). They had a nice fenced-in yard. Personally, though, I think the risks (crime, noise, the general vulgarity of living around a college crowd) outweigh the rewards (10-20 minute walk to almost any point on campus, with the exception of the Ag campus).

I lived in The Fort for 4 years, and I loved it. I loved the convenience. Unlike those who lived well off campus, I could walk to class, sporting events, downtown, the Old City, and the strip and not have to worry about where to park (parking can be quite scarce at times, as with many college campuses).

If I were to do it all over again, I would do the exact same thing. However, in my mid twenties, I would not consider living there again. It's very much a college neighborhood, and has the social dynamics to match. Yes, there are quite a few non-college students living there...but many of them are...bums. Not necessarily homeless...but bums. As a college student, you learn not to leave things outside (like lawn chairs, grills, or anything of even a small value...especially anything metal), because odds are, if you do it long enough, it will get taken.

That's not really a problem if you live in an apartment, or if you are a college student living a bare bones sort of lifestyle. But if you are talking about having your family there, I would consider it a major inconvenience to have to pack everything in, not only at night, but any time you aren't at home.

The other big nuisance is the trash problem. Sadly, most of this is college associated. Beer cans, cigarette butts, unwanted furniture, etc. can be found lying around various parts of The Fort. Not to mention broken glass. I'm not a parent, and I don't think I would be of the overprotective variety, but I would constantly be worried about my child in an environment such as that.

You also have noise from student parties, some of which draw 2-300 people. Along with that, you have your usual college craziness. It's quite a fun environment for a college student...but after that point in life, I think it would pretty much be hell.

Shopping is also an issue. They are planning to build a Publix and Walmart adjacent to campus, which will be wonderful, but at present, your grocery options would be the extremely, extremely limited markets in The Fort (if they are still open)...there were 3 when I was in school...and they offered about what you would expect at a gas station that has some canned food options and microwaveable dinners...and at higher than gas station prices, usually. Your main options are to go to Food City at Western and Middlebrook (affectionately nicknamed Hood City)...which is in an area that warrants having a police officer stationed there from dusk till close, or you can go to the nicer Kroger in Bearden about 3 miles away. It's not too terribly far, but can be inconvenient, especially with heavy traffic.

Downtown could be an option if you are fine with apartments/condos. But I don't think that's a terribly kid-friendly place at this time (not that it's unfriendly, just seems to be mostly young professionals...not many kids).

I'll say that I don't really have a good pulse on what the other inner city hoods are like, so I would defer to the local residents for that advice. If I were looking for a place in Knoxville, I'd live in Bearden...if I could afford it.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:41 PM

610 posts, read 1,624,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
If I were looking for a place in Knoxville, I'd live in Bearden...if I could afford it.
I second this. Especially around the Westland/Northshore area.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:49 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airen123 View Post
I second this. Especially around the Westland/Northshore area.
Yep. I have a (great) aunt that lives off of Sherwood (she moved in around 1950). It's a great area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville