Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 05:55 PM

35 posts, read 110,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
I'm with you TedT - the cold, crisp air is refreshing just about now. However, I have been in Michigan for the past week and really looking forward to heading back down I-75 for some of that balmy 34 degree weather!

We are having a wonderful time with family (that's our only warmth this week). However, after walking a couple of city blocks 2 days ago in 27 degrees with winds gusting to 35 mph in downtown Detoit to attend the Grand Opening of the Detroit Institute of Art and waiting forever in the opening day line outside the DIA for what seemed like forever (kind of like this run-on sentence), I think I have had enough crisp, cool, clean air for a while. What were we thinking?

It is wonderful that Tennessee offers the 4 seasons without being too extreme during any of them. (Visit Michigan in June. It is summer all month usually.)
I plan on hitting up the DIA when I go back to Michigan on my Christmas break. How was it? I'm so excited to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 08:13 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,327,628 times
LOL!!! Hubby is now packing (this very minute) for a work trip to Michigan and he is digging into the deepest depths of the closet for his warmest of clothes that he hasn't needed to use in the past several years......he is a native Tennessean. hehehehehhe
Me, I was born and raised in CT, haven't needed a pair of snow pants/suit since then. Nor thick, thick socks and snow boots. Yes I lived in FL before here, but still think these temps in TN are so mild in comparison. I too am one who LOVES the colder weather verses the hot. I figure you can always add more layers and/or start a fire to keep warm, but if you are hot you can only take off so many layers before it becomes illegal!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:36 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Hmmmm, and here I was thinking it's finally feeling good outside!!! I'm the kind of person that turns on the heater at 55, not 70, and has a myriad collection of coats, sweaters, and scarves.

Good luck acclimating, transplants. Just be glad we're not in NE...
I'm with you. I'm still wearing short sleeved shirts. As long as I don't have to scrape my windshield, I love cold weather. Cold air smells good, too. I've been outdoors doing things more in November than any month since I moved here in May.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:09 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,137,749 times
Smile It was wonderful to visit, but do not want to move there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkholme View Post
I plan on hitting up the DIA when I go back to Michigan on my Christmas break. How was it? I'm so excited to see it.
It was stupendous!! The interior is beautifully done. The opening day was free admission so you can imagine the crowds, but it was so well organized and staffed with guides, that you would not even notice the crowds.

The exhibits were wonderful from old masters to Egyptian and B.C.E Roman artifacts (including beautiful glass pieces - vases, pitchers, plates, etc.) to American Indian artwork. You name it, it was included. We have visitied the British Art Museum, British Natural History Museum in London, the Louvre in Paris, the Smithsonian Institute, and other world class art and history museaums. I would say that the DIA is easily a mini-reflection of them.

The refurbished museum building and services are wonderful. They serve meals in the first floor cafeteria that are restaurant worthy. Plus, they have food courts on upper floors with wraps, gyros, salads, etc. Parking is so easy with an adjacent parking garage. This was a very good thing because it was so cold to one finally used to the wonderful mild South!!

Sorry, this has nothing to do with Knoxville or Tennessee, but it was a wonderful experience that anyone visiting the Motor City might want to consider (along with Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn).

But, I am so happy to be returning to E. TN in the morning for at least a day's visit to check out our property's drainage after the rains. Hooray, rain. Hooray, VOLS.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:21 PM

592 posts, read 2,135,709 times
I think I just figured out why the weather here hasn't seemed all that bad to me...on AVERAGE, it's warmer back home in the summer, and colder back home in the winter. The Colder in the winter didn't surprise, me...but I'd always heard how "hot" it was in Knoxville compared to home. The numbers don't lie apparently. It was hot here in August, but nothing like those nasty days I used to endure in football practice.

I hope it stays that way...I like the more temperate climate here. And we FINALLY got some friggin' rain! I'm so happy. It looks like the grass we planted just 23 days ago might actually come in strong if it warms back up in the next week or so...that will be good.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:47 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,394,730 times
Not to whine, but anything below 60 is COLD! Anything below 50 is just not necessary.
Sun... please...

Old 11-27-2007, 06:01 AM

340 posts, read 1,189,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Not to whine, but anything below 60 is COLD! Anything below 50 is just not necessary.
Sun... please...
And to me, anything ABOVE 80 is unnecessary, and anything above 87 is just plain cruel.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:12 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,394,730 times
I'm with you, BarbG, 60 - 80 is a perfectly acceptable range. That's my definition of temperate.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:26 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,979,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbG View Post
And to me, anything ABOVE 80 is unnecessary, and anything above 87 is just plain cruel.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoever invented air conditioning, no matter what else he did in his life, deserves a special place in heaven.

I think we in this part of the country are doubly blessed this time of the year. Not only do we have (usually) splendid weather with our sunny, crisp, cool, non-sweaty days, but the fall colors make it even more beautiful. It's hard to stay indoors this time of the year when the weather outside is so perfect and the colors are so spectacular.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:16 AM

3 posts, read 5,757 times
WooHoo... I can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville