Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2015, 11:01 AM

363 posts, read 482,462 times

Advertisements

Hey ladies and gents:
Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! I haven't seen a recent posts for Grocery stores so I wanted to get updated views on favorite grocery stores. Where do you get your fresh but inexpensive meat, mostly beef and chicken? I currently live in Northshore and the Publix has been great for most of my needs but I'm not very fond of their meat selection. If I need fish/seafood, there's the Sunrise Market so no worries there.

Also, I'm not really familiar on where any Farmer's Markets are so any assistance there would be great. I know there is one every Tuesday off of Ebenezer but the hours are inconvenient because I work until 5:30 so I never get there before 6.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 06:55 AM

383 posts, read 919,172 times
For ground beef and chicken breast, Fresh Market on Tuesdays has both for 2.99 a pound.

For steaks, I keep an eye on Publix sales. They run some pretty nice discounts on their over-priced "green" steaks from time to time.

Other then that, I order online.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:23 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
I'm not sure I'd want a green steak :-). Food city has their own in-store butchers - you might give them a try.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:06 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
I go in with someone and buy part of a cow. We usually get a half and have it vacuum sealed and freeze it. For chicken we watch the sales and get it at a reasonable price (boneless, skinless breasts).

Old 11-30-2015, 12:02 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
My favorite farmer's market is the Saturday Market Square Farmer's Market. Of course, this isn't the time of year for it. It's an amazing market, though.

Market Square Farmers' Market

However, you can go to the holiday market, in the meantime.

Market Square Farmers' Market » Market Square Holiday Market

After that, there's the winter market.

Winter Farmers' Market - Nourish Knoxville
Be sure and catch the farmer's market when it starts up, next year.

We have a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods as well as Earth Fare, Fresh Market and our co-op called Three Rivers, just north of downtown on Central.

Check out Willy's Butcher Shop.

https://www.facebook.com/Willys-Butc...2492980174008/

Also, check out Mother Earth's Meats and the Shrimp Dock.

Mother Earth Market | The mission of Mother Earth Meats is to reconnect consumers, farmers and the land.

When you go to the farmer's market, next spring, you'll hook up with local farmers for fresh meat, etc.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:28 PM

363 posts, read 482,462 times
Thank you so much! I appreciate the links a lot. I was looking into this butcher that slaughters a cow and brings it to your house too. But that seemed a bit too much for us.

I'm excited. Hopefully, I'll be able to check out those farmers markets soon!

Old 02-17-2016, 09:03 PM

14 posts, read 15,913 times
I'm fond of the Food City on Morrell. It's large and the deli/seafood selection is on point. Customer service is always great, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville